[comp.sys.next] Tools for the Almost-Blind

al@cisunx.UUCP ( alan m Lesgold) (10/22/88)

I have a friend with extremely limited vision.  He can work with computer
screens only if he can magnify them enough so that individual text letters are
one or more inches tall.  He has special equipment on an IBM PC but is
interested in doing some work that might go better on a Macintosh or even a
NeXT.  I would appreciate direct email replies from anyone who knows of Mac
desk accessories or other tools for this purpose that can be used with any
software or of plans for such capability on the NeXT.

The PC capability he has allows him to scan over the screen with a mouse
and see small regions highly magnified.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I'll post a summary.
--alan

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (10/22/88)

In article <13292@cisunx.UUCP> al@cisunx.UUCP ( alan m  Lesgold) writes:
>I have a friend with extremely limited vision.  He can work with computer
>screens only if he can magnify them enough so that individual text letters are
>one or more inches tall.  He has special equipment on an IBM PC but is
>interested in doing some work that might go better on a Macintosh or even a
>NeXT.  I would appreciate direct email replies from anyone who knows of Mac
>desk accessories or other tools for this purpose that can be used with any
>software or of plans for such capability on the NeXT.

The mac as a small init (things you put in your system folder, and they
startup by themself) called closeview wwhich does exactly what you want.
Apple distribute it with their system 6 release (you may have to use version
6 or hiher in order to use it.  6.0.2 is hout with no bugs :-)
You choose cloaseview from the contraol panel to specify the magnification
that you want (from 2 to 16).  At 16 the standard small letters (size 12)
appears to be about two inches big.  That you be plenty enough...

Anyway, let me know if you want me to send you a copy if you can't locate it,
and want to try it on a mac.

Hope this helped.
------
Alain Dumesny