[comp.sys.next] Mach, Unix, and NeXT

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (10/18/88)

Would some kind soul knowledgeable in Mach and the NeXT machine
enlighten us on the following:

What is the scope of Mach?  Is it just the kernel, or does it
include utilites as well?

Does NeXT have all the Unix stuff we've come to know and love
like cp, mv, find, ls, etc?  If utilities aren't in the scope
of Mach, where did the NeXT versions come from?  What about the
more esoteric utilities like lex and yacc?

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

In article <73275@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
>What is the scope of Mach?  Is it just the kernel, or does it
>include utilites as well?

Mach on a VAX is 4.3BSD binary compatible.  You can run your 4.3BSD
VAX binaries on a Mach VAX.  The entire 4.3 environment is on any
machine running Mach.  Could they survive in a University with
anything less?

>Does NeXT have all the Unix stuff we've come to know and love like
>cp, mv, find, ls, etc?  If utilities aren't in the scope of Mach,
>where did the NeXT versions come from?  What about the more esoteric
>utilities like lex and yacc?

The rest of the environment is all there too.  It's compatible at the
system-call level with BSD4.3.  All the 4.3 user level utilities are
there.  All the system administration utilities (rdump, etc.) are
there.  All your favorite daemons (OK, so maybe named isn't one of
Sun's favorite daemons :-) (sorry - cheap shot) are there, as is
inetd.  It runs sendmail or anything else you care to configure,
though I'm not sure of the genealogy of their voice mailer.

To a user or programmer, Mach is 4.3BSD.  We're running Mach on a
Butterfly and a Multimax, and we treat them as simply another 4.3
machine.  In fact, they're the most purely 4.3-like of any box we've
got, because all the other vendors are working hard on their
particular way of mixing in SysV-isms.  That's not a bad thing, but
sometimes you just really need a 4.3 machine.

If you happen to find a 4.3 utility that isn't there, just take the
source directly from your 4.3 distribution tape and compile it.  No
muss, no fuss, no bother.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
All of life is a blur of Republicans and meat!

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/18/88)

In article <73275@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP () writes:
>What is the scope of Mach?  Is it just the kernel, or does it
>include utilites as well?

The Mach distribution from CMU is based on 4.3 BSD for utilities and
part of the kernel.  The virtual-memory, multi-tasking, IPC, and
(mapped) I/O are completely new (i.e. not based on 4.3 at all).

Jeff Siegal

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (10/19/88)

In article <73275@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP () writes:
>What is the scope of Mach?  Is it just the kernel, or does it
>include utilites as well?

I don't know what NeXT is including, but Mach as it comes
off the distribution tapes doesn't have the standard Unix
utilities.  The deal is, first you bring up 4.3 BSD, then
you read the Mach tape, then you compile the Mach kernel,
then you boot it.  Mach is binary compatable with the 4.3
utilities.

>Does NeXT have all the Unix stuff we've come to know and love
>like cp, mv, find, ls, etc?

I would think so...  But these utilities would have to come
from 4.3 BSD, not directly from Mach.

>If utilities aren't in the scope
>of Mach, where did the NeXT versions come from?  What about the
>more esoteric utilities like lex and yacc?

Unknown.  I suspect they have all the utilities that are on the
4.3 BSD tape, but I wouldn't want to bet my next paycheck on it.
Anyone else want to jump in?

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact fai!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (10/19/88)

In article <10298@eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>In article <73275@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP () writes:
>>What is the scope of Mach?  Is it just the kernel, or does it
>>include utilites as well?
>
>The Mach distribution from CMU is based on 4.3 BSD for utilities and
>part of the kernel.  The virtual-memory, multi-tasking, IPC, and
>(mapped) I/O are completely new (i.e. not based on 4.3 at all).

How does it compare speed-wise?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Hacker from Hell.             {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

bzs@xenna (Barry Shein) (10/23/88)

>I don't know what NeXT is including, but Mach as it comes
>off the distribution tapes doesn't have the standard Unix
>utilities.  The deal is, first you bring up 4.3 BSD, then
>you read the Mach tape, then you compile the Mach kernel,
>then you boot it.  Mach is binary compatable with the 4.3
>utilities.

This might be true for the software you get from CMU but I can assure
you that when a vendor like Encore (who else is *delivering* Mach?
show of hands :-) delivers Mach for their system it's what you would
expect, a full system distribution.

I would assume that NeXT will do the same thing, so this shouldn't
be a concern.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||