[comp.sys.next] A/D for the NeXT computer

eht@cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (10/22/88)

>> Does anyone know what is the bit-width of the D/A section for the sound
>> reproduction NeXT?

> The press handouts at the intro claimed two 16-bit D/A's.

What was in the BIX article was that an telephone codec sampled at
8 KHz using 8-bit Mu-law scaling.   This was confirmed by the guy
who designed the speech recognition for the box (he's here at CMU).

byron@pyr.gatech.EDU (Byron A Jeff) (10/22/88)

-
-> The press handouts at the intro claimed two 16-bit D/A's.
-
-What was in the BIX article was that an telephone codec sampled at
-8 KHz using 8-bit Mu-law scaling.   This was confirmed by the guy
-who designed the speech recognition for the box (he's here at CMU).

According to BIX article the stereo output (on which side the D/A's are) are
CD quality. This typically means 16 bit @ 44.1 Khz sample rate. And two of
them at that. The input microphone uses the codec.

The 56001 looks like it'll need some fast, high resolution, linear,
A/D converters to monitor real time inputs. Of course the cube has
a syncronous serial input to the 56001. The article doesn't give a max
speed on it but I'd guess at least in the 100K bps range. Does anyone
have a spec on that?

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff

ns@cat.cmu.edu (Nicholas Spies) (10/24/88)

In article <6629@pyr.gatech.EDU> byron@pyr.UUCP (Byron A Jeff) writes:
>--
>Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
>Byron A. Jeff

This, the series of posts complaining about mouse cords, making a modem for
the cost of an RJ11 connector and using the Cube for instrument input
conspires to suggests that NeXT should use their signal processor and
headphones as a brain-wave input device to replace the mouse altogether...(a
brain-wave _output_ device to replace the display might also be desirable to
solve the problem some posters have had with resolution and WYSIWYG, and
with enough power, would solve for good those lingering doubts that the NeXT
printer might include PostScript...  C'mon Steve, inquiring minds want to
glow...

--
Nicholas Spies			ns@cat.cmu.edu.arpa
Center for Design of Educational Computing