[comp.sys.next] PCWeek on Mach

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (10/19/88)

From "Jobs Tells What's NeXT; IBM Likes It for RT, PS/2", by Kathleen Doler
and Jim Forbes, in PC Week, Oct. 17, 1988, vol. 5, no. 42:

	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
	Unix System V) ...

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (10/20/88)

In article <12670003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
>	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
>	Unix System V) ...

That's because if you don't have those magic words "System V" on
the package, none of the MBA's that make all the *real* decisions
will pay attention.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact fai!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/20/88)

In article <12670003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
>From "Jobs Tells What's NeXT; IBM Likes It for RT, PS/2", by Kathleen Doler
>and Jim Forbes, in PC Week, Oct. 17, 1988, vol. 5, no. 42:
>
>	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
>	Unix System V) ...

"I saw it in print, so it must be true!"

And people pay for subscriptions to that magazine?  (snicker :-)
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Tex SEX!  The HOME of WHEELS!  The dripping of COFFEE!!  Take me
 to Minnesota but don't EMBARRASS me!!

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (10/20/88)

The part I thought was funny was where PC Week said the NeXT machine
used an 80386.  Sheesh.

Paul F. Dietz
dietz@cs.rochester.edu

george@iguanodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) (10/20/88)

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:
    The part I thought was funny was where PC Week said the NeXT machine
    used an 80386.  Sheesh.

>>>AFTER<<< the announcment ?!?!?!?!

incredulous,
----George Jones
-=-
OSU Computer & Inf. Science 2036 Neil Ave.,Columbus,Ohio 43210. 614-292-7325
george@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!osu-cis!george
What's the opposite of progress ?  Congress.

brown@hpccc.HP.COM (Jeffrey L. Brown) (10/21/88)

/ hpccc:comp.sys.next / gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) /  7:20 pm  Oct 18, 1988 /
From "Jobs Tells What's NeXT; IBM Likes It for RT, PS/2", by Kathleen Doler
and Jim Forbes, in PC Week, Oct. 17, 1988, vol. 5, no. 42:

	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
	Unix System V) ...

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore
----------

Also in the same set of articles (I can't be more specific; someone else has
that issue of PC weAk at the moment) is the "fact" that the extra chips leave
more time for the 80386 to do its job.

And to think I almost respected this journalistic rag at one time...oh well.

Jeff Brown
HP Corp. Computing
brown%hpccc@hplabs.hp.com
It just doesn't matter....

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (10/21/88)

>	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
>	Unix System V) ...

Sounds like a typical corporate knee-jerk to me.  "Oh, Unix is
synonymous with this thing called System V that AT&T wrote."

This is disturbing.  Large companies are making out as if Unix were
just another product developed in the labs of AT&T, IBM, DEC, HP, etc.
They've forgotten (or perhaps they want everyone else to forget) where
Unix's roots really are.

Ever wonder why you never see Richard Stallman or GNU mentioned in
these computer rags?  'Cause big companines have money and money buys
ad space and besides no one wants to hear about unreliable public
domain software that you can get for FREE...right?

> The part I thought was funny was where PC Week said the NeXT machine
> used an 80386.  Sheesh.

Sounds like another big company knee-jerk to me.  Everyone knows that
AIX and all the good versions of Unix run on 80386 boxes so they can
be MESSDOS compatible.

Down off my soapbox....

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

Shar and Enjoy!

bzs@xenna (Barry Shein) (10/23/88)

>In article <12670003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
>>	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
>>	Unix System V) ...
>
>That's because if you don't have those magic words "System V" on
>the package, none of the MBA's that make all the *real* decisions
>will pay attention.
>

>				Ron

I can assure you that Mach is *not* based on SystemV, it's based upon
BSD4.3. Unless NeXT has done work I am not aware of (entirely
possible!) it's probably not quite SysV compliant.

To most users Mach is indistinguishable from BSD4.3, the Mach features
are either a proper superset (new syscalls) or have been integrated
transparently (eg. a new stdio uses mapped files which improves
performance, but from the call interface level it's not apparent
anything different is going on.) A simple shell script to extend paths
gets one into the entire Mach environment for commands and compiling
etc.

As people have mentioned, most binaries from 4.xbsd systems of the
same flavor run on Mach (I've found this to be true) and sources
should port trivially, even with 4.3'isms built in.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) (10/25/88)

In article <1022@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>In article <12670003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
>>      Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
>>      Unix System V) ...
>
>That's because if you don't have those magic words "System V" on
>the package, none of the MBA's that make all the *real* decisions
>will pay attention.

But they can't buy the thing anyway.  They've already got their degrees.

David Wald                                              wald-david@yale.UUCP
						       waldave@yalevm.bitnet

ian@media.UUCP (Ian Poynter) (10/26/88)

In article <3958@encore.UUCP>, bzs@xenna (Barry Shein) writes:
} }In article <12670003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
} }}	Other features include Mach (an operating system based on
} }}	Unix System V) ...
} }
}
} I can assure you that Mach is *not* based on SystemV, it's based upon
} BSD4.3. Unless NeXT has done work I am not aware of (entirely
} possible!) it's probably not quite SysV compliant.
}

What do you expect from a FeCe trash rag.  Most (some?) of the
MS-DOS world has its head up its C:

All further comments to alt.flame....

These comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer!
(unfortunately)

--
Ian Poynter - Media Cybernetics		Phone: (301) 495-3305
Internet: ian%media@hqda-ai.ARPA	UUCP: ..!{mimsy,sundc}!{prometheus,hqda-ai}!media!ian