[comp.sys.next] NeXT product deliveries

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (10/22/88)

Questions:

     - How many NeXT machines exist in the world as of right now?  Are there
       just a few hand-built prototypes being shown around, or is the
       rumored automated production line in Fremont running?

     - Any reports from people who actually have one?  No posting in this
       group so far indicates any hands-on experience.

					John Nagle

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (10/23/88)

In article <17792@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
> Questions:
>      - Any reports from people who actually have one?  No posting in this
>        group so far indicates any hands-on experience.

	There is a guy on BIX, Bruce Webster, who claims to have one.  He
	is the person writing the manuals for the machine, however.

> 					John Nagle

					Rick Spanbauer

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (10/25/88)

In article <17792@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
>      - How many NeXT machines exist in the world as of right now?  Are there
>        just a few hand-built prototypes being shown around, or is the
>        rumored automated production line in Fremont running?

"Rounded to the nearest million, there are zero [insert-computer-name-here]
computers in the world"

Paraphrased quote from Lucas Films explaining why they have not done software
for the Amiga.  Still a true quote... wonder if they'll treat this one the same
way?  And how about Lotus 1-2-56001?  Hmmm.

Rob Peck

scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) (10/25/88)

From article <659@ardent.UUCP>, by rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck):
> In article <17792@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
>>      - How many NeXT machines exist in the world as of right now?  Are there
>>        just a few hand-built prototypes being shown around, or is the
>>        rumored automated production line in Fremont running?
>
> "Rounded to the nearest million, there are zero [insert-computer-name-here]
> computers in the world"

Stricktly speaking, this is no longer true. According to the latest posted
Comodore/Amiga sales figures, there are more than 650,000 Amigas sold world-
wide, and this definitely _rounds_ to 1 million, though it still
(unfortunately) _truncates_ to 0.

> Paraphrased quote from Lucas Films explaining why they have not done software
> for the Amiga.  Still a true quote... wonder if they'll treat this one the same
> way?  And how about Lotus 1-2-56001?  Hmmm.
>
> Rob Peck

	Scott Henry
--
              Scott Henry <scotth@harlie.sgi.com> {or, also on the Internet:}
                          <skywalker@cup.portal.com>

In article <659@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>"Rounded to the nearest million, there are zero [insert-computer-name-here]
>computers in the world"
>
>Paraphrased quote from Lucas Films explaining why they have not done software
>for the Amiga.  Still a true quote... wonder if they'll treat this one the same
>way?  And how about Lotus 1-2-56001?  Hmmm.

	I guess you're not on Bix, Rob (or don't read amiga.dev/market.info).
We passed the "0 rounded to nearest million" point last january.  We ought
to pass the real million mark this winter.

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup