[comp.sys.next] Let's not argue about semantics

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/24/88)

	Come on guys, how long do we have to argue about whether the
difference in resolution is 4/3 or (4/3)^2?  Everybody understands the
difference, even if they can't agree on the proper terminology.  It's
certainly not worth all this stupid vitriolic haggling.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (10/25/88)

In article <3565@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	Come on guys, how long do we have to argue about whether the
>difference in resolution is 4/3 or (4/3)^2?  Everybody understands the
>difference, even if they can't agree on the proper terminology.  It's
>certainly not worth all this stupid vitriolic haggling.
>--

Actually, there is still an unsolved question: it looks like the NeXT
printer is basically squeezing 400 dpi out of a 300 dpi engine. Is that so?
If so, the result may not really be equivalent to "real" 400 dpi engines
like the Agfa/Compugraphic one.
I have seen results of a 24-pin matrix printer (Nec P6 to be precise)
which claims to print at 360dpi. The results (using Tex) were disappointing
compared to a 300dpi laserwriter. Reason: the dots are thicker on the Nec
than on the laserwriter. The 360dpi output looked more like around 200dpi
to me. So I wonder whether the 400dpi NeXT printer will *really* produce
400dpi quality.

Paul.

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     | att!grumpy!debra |

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (10/26/88)

In article <8326@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:

>Actually, there is still an unsolved question: it looks like the NeXT
>printer is basically squeezing 400 dpi out of a 300 dpi engine. Is that so?
>If so, the result may not really be equivalent to "real" 400 dpi engines
>like the Agfa/Compugraphic one.
>I have seen results of a 24-pin matrix printer (Nec P6 to be precise)
>which claims to print at 360dpi. The results (using Tex) were disappointing
>compared to a 300dpi laserwriter. Reason: the dots are thicker on the Nec
>than on the laserwriter. The 360dpi output looked more like around 200dpi
>to me. So I wonder whether the 400dpi NeXT printer will *really* produce
>400dpi quality.

The Cannon SX engine, their current model used in the Apple LaserWriters,
is capable of 400 dpi but the subjective improvement in image quality is
not all that impressive.  As you've noted, the usual numbers given for
"resolution" can be deceptive for many reasons.

However, one story about the NeXT printer is that it isn't a standard SX
engine but a custom version.  Maybe it does 400 dpi so well that it really
does look a lot better than 300 dpi.  Or maybe 400 is just a better number
for brochures and press releases.

The question that comes to my mind is: If 400 dpi is great, why does NeXT
provide a 300 dpi "draft" mode?  What advantage does it give?  Are there
documents that actually look better at 300 dpi on that printer than at
400 dpi?  I wish I could get my hands on that system to wring it out...

David Casseres

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/27/88)

In article <150@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>If 400 dpi is great, why does NeXT provide a 300 dpi "draft" mode?
>What advantage does it give?

Perhaps the decreased memory and CPU requirements for the in-cube
imaging engine make enough of a different that it's worth it
sometimes?  If application performance is more critical than printer
resolution, it would be a good time to switch to 300dpi "draft" mode,
like most ordinary mortal commodity PostScript laser printers.

>I wish I could get my hands on that system to wring it out...

Me too!
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Let me do my TRIBUTE to FISHNET STOCKINGS...