[comp.sys.next] 300 vs 400 dpi

simon@macondo. (Simon John Gibbs) (10/27/88)

In article <1988Oct25.175954.8744@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> It depends.  The real question is not how many more dots there are per
> inch, or per square inch, but how much better the output looks, other
> things being equal (which they often are not in comparing different
> printers).  Last I heard, perceived output quality is *not* a linear
> function of resolution.
> --

I'd agree with this...
I attended a sales talk recently. Two sheets of printer output
were passed around, they showed the same text and graphics, one
at 300 dpi the other 400. I asked the person next to me to guess
which was the higher resolution sheet - the one she picked
turned out to be 300 dpi. I know this is a very small sample
(and the room was rather dark) but still you had to look very
closely to see differences. If anyone knows of actual experiments
perhaps they could post the results.

Simon Gibbs
MCC

raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Eric A. Raymond) (10/27/88)

"But mine goes to 11 ...."

Name: Eric A. Raymond
ARPA: raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
SLOW: NASA Ames Research Center, MS 244-17, Moffett Field, CA 94035

Nothing left to do but :-) :-) :-)