[comp.sys.next] postscript speedup

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (10/27/88)

In article <231@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>In article <25141@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>>             The imager can image much faster than this printer can
>>print (8ppm), so the bottleneck is in the printer.
>I have seen unimpressive pages on which a LaserWriter cranks well over
>an hour to output.  For the NeXT machine to output a 1 LaserWriter-hour page
>it would have to interpret PostScript more than 28000 times as fast...
A lot of the hard stuff might be floating point stuff, which unadorned
Laserwriters have no hardware support for.  Given the NeXT has an '882 AND a
DSP chip.  So I have no problem imaging ~1000 times speedup for 'normal' hard
pages.  Maybe Adobe obtained the other 1.5 orders of magnitude by doing a
better implementation:-)

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS