[comp.sys.next] Quashing 3K next rumor

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (10/27/88)

In article <18692@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>In article <3366@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>>I was really thinking about getting a Mac ][ CPU w/1M for $2221 before
>>Oct 7, when the Apple price increase supposedly took effect.  I could always
>>leave it in the box for a year, then re-sell it if I decided not to use it
>>because of the rumored $3K NeXt just around the corner.  I decided to just
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I have not heard these rumors! Are they from good sources? What are the details
Sorry, the rumors turned out to be FALSE.  We (at CMU) were hoping that the
machine announced Oct. 12 would come in at $3K, discounted, since that's
the target price CMU has more-or-less  set for pushing on students to get
their own workstations.  1% of the stock doesn't let the decide what the
price will be, though.

CMU has wanted to spend $3K for a '3M machine - megapixel display, 1 MIP CPU,
and 1M memory).  The need to run Unix/Mach and the various 'Andrew' software
on them keeps stressing the machine capabilities, so I'd say that a '2x4'
machine is more reasonable now.  (Megapixel display 1280x800, 4M memory,
2MIP CPU.)  A 386 clone is just about the only complete system (w/local disk)
you can get for $3K, but I think IBM must have 'forbidden' clones, since they
keep shoving RT/PC technology at us.

The developers of the environment that run on this always use the latest
'reasonable' hardware, though so the machine cost keeps going up to match
the extra functionality being piled on.  Oh well, glad I'm not a prospective
student here.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS