[comp.sys.next] Diskless NeXT engines?

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (Jinfu Jinfu Chen) (10/27/88)

Here is a scenario may make a NeXT system admin sleepless:

Suppose you have a couple of diskless nodes booting over a couple
disked nodes. An average user JoJo walks in and works on a disked node
for a while and decides to leave. Since the power of the NeXT can be
turned off from the keyboard and JoJo has a habit to turn off a
{personal} computer after logoff (he believes this will extend the
life of the monitor). Guess what happen to the diskless Next(s)
booting from this node?

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/28/88)

In article <10554@cup.portal.com> Jinfu@cup.portal.com (Jinfu Jinfu Chen) writes:
>An average user JoJo walks in and works on a disked node for a while
>and decides to leave... [and turns it off]

[Almost] All our file servers are stashed away in locked machine
rooms, far away from users' prying fingers.  I offer the "almost"
qualifier because we have two that are constrained for the expected
reasons (politics, cost, fiber avaliability) to share a room with a
labful of users.  This is a remote site and an exception, though.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
I wish I was on a Cincinnati street corner holding a clean dog!