[comp.sys.next] What's WriteNow? Does NextStep support fuzzy fonts?

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (10/25/88)

I'd be grateful if *someone who really knows* would describe the
WriteNow WP.  Is it emacsey?  WordStar-like?  FrameMaker or PageMaker-like?

Similarly, does NextStep support fuzzy fonts as a standard thing?  This
is probably only answerable by someone from Adobe or Next, I guess.

Bill

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (10/25/88)

  WriteNow has been available on the Macintosh for a year or two (or
maybe more).  I presume that the version on the NeXT will be similar.
Its approach is basically like most "basic" Mac word processors (say,
MacWrite)--direct control of the text by the user (no control codes,
for instance).  It supports multiple columns and automatic footnoting,
but doesn't have "fancy features" like text wrapped around arbitrary
graphic objects.
  There's a version 2 (which I haven't gotten yet) which is supposed
to add mail merge.  Oh yes, there's a built-in spelling checker;
forgot that.
  I don't know how different the NeXT version will be from the Mac
version, though.  Oh yes...I have no connection with NeXT, or with
T/Maker (who markets WriteNow for Macintosh).

+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "UNIX: Just Say No!"   | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

matthews@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) (10/25/88)

In article <1439@titan.> janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
>I'd be grateful if *someone who really knows* would describe the
>WriteNow WP.  Is it emacsey?  WordStar-like?  FrameMaker or PageMaker-like?

WriteNow on the NeXT machine is apparently a port of their Mac version.
That version is a well-done, WYSIWYG Mac word processor.  It is not
programmable and (like most Mac programs) it relies heavily on the
mouse.  It does not have extensive desktop publishing features (by the
standards of the Mac market, anyway) but it does do on-screen columns.
I guess I'd describe it as a souped-up MacWrite.  The most interesting
thing about WriteNow may be the way it was written.  I heard that the
authors implemented parts of the Mac Toolbox in NextStep primitives, and
were able to leave much of the Mac code alone.  If that's true, porting
from the Mac might not be too tough.

>Similarly, does NextStep support fuzzy fonts as a standard thing?  This
>is probably only answerable by someone from Adobe or Next, I guess.

Judging from the glossy screen-shots distributed at the intro, they do
not use anti-aliasing to improve font display.  They do use the greys to
make icons, buttons, etc. more visually appealing, but the fonts looked
as bad as Apple's bitmap versions of PostScript fonts.  They looked
significantly worse (i.e. more jagged) than the bitmap fonts that
originally came with the Mac -- not surprising, since those were
designed with the screen resolution in mind.

Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/27/88)

In article <1439@titan.>, janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
> I'd be grateful if *someone who really knows* would describe the
> WriteNow WP.  Is it emacsey?  WordStar-like?  FrameMaker or PageMaker-like?
>
> Similarly, does NextStep support fuzzy fonts as a standard thing?  This
> is probably only answerable by someone from Adobe or Next, I guess.
>
> Bill

If it does support "fuzzy fonts", I would get your printer fixed. :-)

What is a "fuzzy font"?  I thought I kept up to date in the wonderful
world of PostScript...

--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

devin@topologix.topologix.com (Devin Hooker) (10/27/88)

In article <937@cps3xx.UUCP> rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
<
<  WriteNow has been available on the Macintosh for a year or two (or
<maybe more).
	Just as a clarification:  WriteNow has been available for the Mac
almost since it came out.  It is, I believe, the ONLY WP which will run on
ANY Mac, from a 128K to a MacII.  Oh, yes, I have no connections with T/Maker
either.
<+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
<| Anton Rang (grad student) | "UNIX: Just Say No!"   | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
<| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
<+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

			-Devin

What, Me?  Connections?  Expressing other peoples opinions?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
--
Devin Hooker
Software Engineer

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (10/28/88)

It has been around for about 3 years now for the Mac. I have 1.0,
which is slightly wierd at times but otherwise quite nice. It is
sort of a cross between MacWrite and Word in functionality. The
latest version sounds really good. While it's sold by T/Maker, it
was licensed from NeXT, so I guess you could think of it as their
first product.
 Hal Meeks                 "Don't you wonder sometimes,
 netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet     about sound and vision?"
 hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu       --David Bowie