[comp.sys.next] Frivolous standardization

wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) (10/25/88)

(Especially considering the nature of this posting, I apologize if
anyone gets this more than once.  As if there weren't already enough
postings about a vaporware machine.)

We seem to have a naming problem.  Specifically, what is going to be the
casual name for the NeXT machine's optical media?

Thus far we have:
    1) magneto-optical drive, and other official or semi-official terms.
      These have the difficulty of being too long and technical for
      casual use, as demonstrated by the creation of:

    2) optifloppy,
      which has the advantage of being a single word; and

    3) floptical drive,
      which preserves the meter of the original terms.  The only problem
      with this term is that the obvious shortening, "flopty," may be
      a bit too close to the word "floppy" for easy use in conversation
      (either in print or speech).

So what's it going to be?  Option 1?  Option 2?  Option 3?  Flames for
frivolity?  I'll summarize whatever winds up in my mail (on this issue,
that is).

Oh my.  An entire wall of flames.

David Wald                                              wald-david@yale.UUCP
						       waldave@yalevm.bitnet

bbc@titan.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (10/26/88)

In article <41210@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) writes:
>We seem to have a naming problem.  Specifically, what is going to be the
>casual name for the NeXT machine's optical media?
>    1) magneto-optical drive, and other official or semi-official terms.
>    2) optifloppy,
>    3) floptical drive,

I really don't understand what all you people think is floppy about the
storage media for the NeXT, or your CD player, etc.  Also, I don't
understand why you'd call a disc a drive.

Moving right along, I think "1)" above is a fine choice if you're into
acronyms, since then the name becomes "MOD".  Of course, going with the
acronym reintroduces the confusion between MODisc and MODrive, with which we
seem to have problems :-).  Also, consider

    4) optidisc
    5) opti
    6) opticard

The motivation behind 6) is that the actual disc is enclosed in a
rectangular box.  To the user, it may look very unlike a disc, especially if
the box normally shields the disc from view.  Anyone who has handled one
care to comment?  Certainly, other good choices exist.  Let's hurry up and
find a good name for this thing before someone gives it name like "Compact
Disc", which gets shortened to something like CD, which sounds a lot like
something you might get at a bank if the interest rates were good.

Barring better names, my personal favorite is 4).  If you have any other
names, or useful comments about the suggestions made, _I_ certainly won't
stop you from posting.  If you have any votes, I'll be happy to tabulate
them.  My mailbox has been _so_ empty lately...  Try and keep this list a
little cleaner, though.

On a related note, for people who have read this far, I hear that a 60Mbyte
chunk of the disc is read-only, or is readable faster than the rest via a
special read-only head, or some such rot.  I suppose the intent is that
certain seldom-written things such as the OS and the reference library might
live in this region of the disc.  This scuttlebutt comes from a regional
sales rep who talked at Rice last week.  Anyone who _knows_ about this care
to post a concise and factual summary?

	Ben Chase	bbc@rice.edu		Computer Science Dept.

Ben Chase	bbc@rice.edu		Computer Science Dept.

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (10/26/88)

In article <41210@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) writes:
>We seem to have a naming problem.  Specifically, what is going to be the
>casual name for the NeXT machine's optical media?
>
>Thus far we have:
>    1) magneto-optical drive ...
>    2) optifloppy ...
>    3) floptical drive ...

Since the drive seems (at least to the uninitiated) to derive aspects
from both magnetic and optical technology I suggest we call it the
"Hybrid Of Magnetics and Optics" or HOMO for short.  Wouldn't you just
love to walk into the campus bookstore and say "I'll take the NeXT
cube and a spare homo drive to go please."  Ah, fun for all ages.
(Liberally apply :-) to all the above, I don't need the grief.)

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (10/26/88)

in article <41210@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) says:

> We seem to have a naming problem.  Specifically, what is going to be the
> casual name for the NeXT machine's optical media?

I vote for the term "WALDO" for the new magneto-optical device
technology.  The word is an anagram (I think that's what them
'versity types don call them thin's an'way ;-) for the description
of the technology.

W.A.L.D.O. ==> Write-After-Landing-Delay Optics or
		Write-After-Long-Delay-Only (;-) for the sarcastic.

		Warm Areas Loose Data Often,  (I'll bet that Direct
			sunlight will heat the media as well as
			the laser ever could) and the phrase "data
			disruption due to overheating" will have a
			totally new scope.

How do I keep my data safe?  I use ice. ;-)

Rob.

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (10/26/88)

In article <41210@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) writes:
>    3) floptical drive,
>      which preserves the meter of the original terms.  The only problem
>      with this term is that the obvious shortening, "flopty," may be
>      a bit too close to the word "floppy" for easy use in conversation
>      (either in print or speech).

I can't resist.

I propose, on the logic of progressive technologies having logically
sequential names, that we should use:

	mopties

as in
	Flopties, Mopties, Peepers, and Floptentails.

It's been a long night.

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (10/26/88)

Ben-
  Magneto-optical drive? Sounds like something out of Trek...also, a 3.5
disk is in a square thingy too, and looks as much like a disk as the
optical thingummy (I presume...never seen one.) But how about calling it
an optimag disk? or even lasermag...or opnetic...or magtical...or even
such things as WMRM!(write many..) or CMCD! (Computer Media Compact
Disk) or CD-MMS (CD Mass media storage!) or any number of other
things... :-)!  How about WARM? Write And Read Many? or COLD? Computer
Optical Laser Disk? or NODS? Next Optical Data Storage? Or NUTS, for
NeXT's Unusual Type of Storage! or JOKE-Jobs' Optical Kilobyte Engine,
or more...flames to dev/null, please. Not to offend any NeXT
worshippers, I just love inserting a little humor anywhere I can!
					JBZimmerman!

--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

tbrakitz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Triantaphyllos Byron Rakitzis) (10/26/88)

In article <4124@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>Ben-
>  Magneto-optical drive? Sounds like something out of Trek...also, a 3.5
>disk is in a square thingy too, and looks as much like a disk as the
>optical thingummy (I presume...never seen one.) But how about calling it
>an optimag disk? or even lasermag...or opnetic...or magtical...or even
>such things as WMRM!(write many..) or CMCD! (Computer Media Compact
>Disk) or CD-MMS (CD Mass media storage!) or any number of other
>things... :-)!  How about WARM? Write And Read Many? or COLD? Computer
>Optical Laser Disk? or NODS? Next Optical Data Storage? Or NUTS, for
>NeXT's Unusual Type of Storage! or JOKE-Jobs' Optical Kilobyte Engine,
>or more...flames to dev/null, please. Not to offend any NeXT
>worshippers, I just love inserting a little humor anywhere I can!
>					JBZimmerman!
>
>||   ||acob Zimmerman!+> <zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> INTERNET

Hey, JBZ, I think you missed the next most obvious definition: the
recursive one!

		DUD: Damn Useless DUD.

Byron Rakitzis.

tbrakitz@phoenix.princeton.edu

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/27/88)

magneto-optical floppy

..moptical

....myoptical

.......my optical

..........where the hell is MY moptical floppy on which sits all the
		the software I shelled out money to get the password for
			so that I can work on that machine over at that
				workstation with the sign:  "IN THE SHOP" !!!

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (10/28/88)

My vote goes for optidisk. It's easy to type, easy to say, and represents a
meeting of two technologies: the new, laser-based nature of the optidrive,
and the proud heritage of disks, which even though it comes in a square
box, it's still a disk (and who cares if it's really disc with a c).

Folks will wanna call anything that holds data that isn't a tape a disk, so
let's keep the disk part.

Optidisk and Optidrive. For a better America.

____
"I knew Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs was a friend of mine. You're no Steve Jobs,
Mr. Gates."
___

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (10/29/88)

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) writes:
>Optidisk and Optidrive. For a better America.

(Are we tired of this yet ?-)

* Opticart  (Optical-cartridge)
* Mocart  ("mho-cart": Magnetic-Optical cartridge)
* Modisk, Modrive

	;-D oN  ( MoToWN )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo