[net.auto] Tire questions

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (07/26/85)

I just bought 4 new tires for my Accord. As usually happens with
most of my purchases, I have a few questions about what I bought
after the fact.

The tires are Michelin MX, Size P175/70R13. I have the following
questions, and would appreciate answers from any one in the know.

1. The original tires were size 155SR13. The tire dealer said that
   P175/70R13 are acceptable size replacement for 155SR13. As far as
   I know, the main difference is the 175 mm width of the new tires
   as against 155 mm width of the old ones.
   What I am not sure about, is the overall size (outer diameter)
   of the new tires compared to the old ones ?
   It may affect the speedometer/odometer.

2. After I drove home, I noticed that two of the tires are made in
   U.K. and have marking "P175/70R13 82T", where as the other two
   are made in W. Germany and have marking "P175/70R13 82S".
   My question is - what does the 82S and 82T mean? Does it have any
   bearing upon the rating/performance/life of the tires? Also, is
   it necessary to have the tires with identical markings on
   the same axle (at present they are not, each axle has one 82S and
   one 82T)? The tires are identical otherwise i.e. the traction grade,
   temperature grade, tread design and all other markings are identical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Incidentally, the tires are no longer marked for tread wear rating, nor
do they carry any tread wear warranty.
--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)

mayer@rochester.UUCP (07/26/85)

From: Jim Mayer  <mayer>

I have a few questions about automobile tires.  The (hypothetical) car
in question is a small front wheel drive model.  Any tires I bought would
almost certainly be steel belted radials.

	1. Does anyone know a good source of information about tire
	performance beyond the US (Traction/Heat/Treadwear) ratings?

	2. How good are all season tires vs. snow tires?  Rochester gets
	regular (usually light) snow in the mornings (courtesy of lake
	Ontario) and one or two real snows each year.  Should this
	affect the kind of tires I buy?

	3. If I get real snows, is there any advantage to outfitting all
	four wheels?

	4. How good are all seasons vs. regular tires during the summer?
	Are they as quiet?  Do they handle as well?

	5. The cars I've looked at all come with only so-so tires
	(US rating B/C).  I figure if I'm going to shell out $10000
	or so for a car, I can afford a few hundred more for a set of
	really good tires.  What's the best way to sell the original
	set?  How much would I be ripped off if I traded them in?

Thanks.

-- Jim Mayer					University of Rochester
(arpa) mayer@Rochester.ARPA			Department of Computer Science
(uucp) rochester!mayer				Ray P. Hylan Building
       (via allegra, decvax, or seismo)		Rochester, New York 14627

steve@mtu.UUCP (Steve Seidel) (07/29/85)

In article <1839@amdahl.UUCP> dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) writes:

>I just bought 4 new tires for my Accord. As usually happens with
>most of my purchases, I have a few questions about what I bought
>after the fact.
>
>The tires are Michelin MX, Size P175/70R13. I have the following
>questions, and would appreciate answers from any one in the know.
>
>1. The original tires were size 155SR13. The tire dealer said that
>   P175/70R13 are acceptable size replacement for 155SR13. As far as
>   I know, the main difference is the 175 mm width of the new tires
>   as against 155 mm width of the old ones.
>   What I am not sure about, is the overall size (outer diameter)
>   of the new tires compared to the old ones ?
>   It may affect the speedometer/odometer.

A booklet I got from Euro-Tire, Inc. (an aftermarket mail order tire
outlet that advertises every month in C/D) lists the approximate overall
diameters of 155SR13 and 175/70R13 tires as 578 mm and 580 mm,
respectively.  These figures surely vary from one brand to the next
and precise numbers depend on other variables like inflation pressure and
temperature.  But that was as true for the old tires as it is for the new.
Your speedometer/odometer should not be affected.

Can't answer your other question, but I do have an aside to add to the
controversy about tire inflation pressures.  I and lots of other people
regularly inflate their street legal tires to pressures in the neighbor-
hood of 50 psi for autocrossing.  Heat buildup is not an issue since
speeds seldom exceed 40 mph during a run, and then only for a few seconds.
I have never seen a street tire rated above 36 psi maximum inflation
pressure; the implication I draw is that street tires won't blow up if
you overinflate them a bit.  Nobody would want 50 psi for the street, but
I sometimes run 36 - 38 psi with no immediate ill effects.
--
Steve Seidel
Michigan Technological University

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (07/29/85)

>  I have a few questions about automobile tires.  The (hypothetical) car
>  in question is a small front wheel drive model.
>  	3. If I get real snows, is there any advantage to outfitting all
>  	four wheels?

If you only get two, they should go on the front for a front wheel drive car;
they will improve tration for straight lne acceleration and braking.

An additional pair of snow on hte rear wheels will help during turns; without
them, the car will have more of a tendency to spin out on snowy curves,
particularly if it has a very light rear end.  This is particularly true if
you get studded tires, where the big difference in traction will make the
car unstble on snowy/icy turns.

geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) (07/29/85)

> From: Jim Mayer  <mayer>
>
> I have a few questions about automobile tires.  The (hypothetical) car
> in question is a small front wheel drive model.  Any tires I bought would
> almost certainly be steel belted radials.
>
> 	3. If I get real snows, is there any advantage to outfitting all
> 	four wheels?

Having done lots of winter driving in small front wheel drive cars, I would
offer the following advice:  DEFINITELY OUTFIT ALL FOUR WHEELS!  I have driven
Honda Civics, Saab 96s and Saab 99s in rain, on snow, and on ice.  The often
used tactic of putting snow tires only on the front wheels can be dangerous.
This is especially true if you use studded snow tires.

What happens is the following:
	Studded snow tires on front wheels, summer tires on rear wheels.
	This has the affect of providing much better traction for the front
	wheels than the rear wheels, when driving on icy roads.  This means
	that any sudden steering or braking will cause the rear of the car
	to lose traction and slide.  Since the front wheels are still gripping
	the road, the rear of the car will quickly spin around the front of
	the car and you will find yourself traveling down the highway
	backwards.

The worst part of all this is that the above scenario may never happen EXCEPT
in an emergency as the result of a sudden manuver.  In other words, just when
you need to be able to control the car the most, you lose control.  Whatever
tires you have on your car, it is best to have the same ones front and rear
for the above mentioned reason.

Personally, I never felt the need for snow tires in New England.  Front wheel
drive gives plenty of traction in winter conditions.  I always took side roads
when the weather was bad, so I didn't have to worry about people going 60 mph
down an icy highway.  Here in Colorado, however, I have to drive 30 miles of
highway to get to work, so I have studded snows all around.  They allow me to
brake faster on ice.

The studded snow tires have several disadvantages which should be carefully
considered.
	1) They enable you to stop faster than most people on the road (often
	   an advantage) which means that you have to watch your rear view
	   mirror carefully, and start braking early so that the person behind
	   you will be able to stop before ploughing into you.
	2) They excellent traction they provide keeps you from knowing what
	   other drivers are experiencing.  This could cause you to misjudge
	   the behavior of other drivers on the road.
The real advantage in not using winter tires is that you know exactly what the
conditions are, and will drive accordingly.  I think this is the best way to go
unless you must drive (as I must) on roads where people habitually go too fast
for the conditions.

I do not recommend snow tires without studs.  Summer tires are better on dry
pavement and in rain.  Studded snows are better on snow and ice (actuall,
summer tires may be better than most non-studded winter tires on ice).

Many people swear by all-season radials.  This coming winter will be the first
time I will have tried them, so I cannot pass judgement on this particular
solution.  All I can say is that a friend of mine who always drives too fast
swears by them.

geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) (07/29/85)

> 1. The original tires were size 155SR13. The tire dealer said that
>    P175/70R13 are acceptable size replacement for 155SR13.
>    What I am not sure about, is the overall size (outer diameter)
>    of the new tires compared to the old ones ?

The "70" in "175/70R13" means that the tire's sidewall height is 70% of
the tire's width (70% of 175 mm).  This number (the 70) is called the
aspect ratio.  When no aspect ratio is listed, a standard aspect ratio
is implied.  For 13" tires this implied aspect ratio is 80%.  I happen
to have written a program which takes all this into account and calculates
equivalent tire sizes.  It turns out that your original tire and wheel
produced an overall tire diameter of 578.2 mm.  Your new tires (same wheels)
produce an overall tire diameter of 575.2 mm.  This is a difference of 0.5%
in overall diameter.  Since changing one tooth on your speedometer driven
gear (the thing that is changed by the manufacturer to accomodate different
tire sizes) changes your speedometer reading by about 5%, you can see that
you have nothing to worry about.  As a matter of fact, I calculate that
the normal process of wearing down your tires probably changes your
speedometer's accuracy by about 5% also.  So, don't worry and have lots of
fun.  You made the right move.

As for the 82S vs. 82T, I have no idea.

Geoffrey Baum

geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) <115@denelvx.UUCP>:

>I do not recommend snow tires without studs.  Summer tires are better on dry
>pavement and in rain.  Studded snows are better on snow and ice (actuall,
>summer tires may be better than most non-studded winter tires on ice).

Has a test of nonstudded "snows" versus summer tires upon ice been published
to your knowledge?  That could be of concern in a place like Illinois where
tire studs are illegal under most circumstances.  It's nice to have the "snows"
for the real *snow* (more than a couple of inches) but why so horrible on plain
ice?

(Good summer question :-))

|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
|          "go for it"           |  Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy
 --------------------------------     or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (08/05/85)

I read an article in one of the car mags. recently about the
difference between regular snow tires, and all season. The outcome
was that in loose, freshly fallen snow, snow tires were the best. On
ice and packed snow, all seasons were best. Since few people drive
on loose snow, they recommended all seasons. I have never put snows,
or all weathers on my front drive. I use my Eagle GT's, and drive up
into the mountains during a chain law regularly (without chains),
and have never had problems.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.