[comp.sys.next] mysterious socket

In article <1354@unisoft.UUCP> paul@unisoft.UUCP (n) writes:
>I finally managed to get a look at the byte article about the Next machine...
>Also of interest is the picture of the board, in the top right corner is an
>empty pga socket my guess is that this is for the NuBus interface...

I wondered about that socket too, but came up with a more mundane guess at
what it's for.  I think that's the 68882 socket, and Byte simply mislabeled
the picture.  The chip they label as a 68882 is not a PGA package and its
markings (or rather, lack thereof) suggest to me that it's something else,
although I can't be sure of this.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu