[comp.sys.next] WYSIWYG & DPI

mthome@bbn.com (Michael Thome) (10/21/88)

With respect to DPI levels of NeXT hardware:  Given the actual DPI values
of the display (*ROUGHLY* 100dpi) and the lzpr (400dpi or 300dpi) you
should keep in mind that assuming the display postscript interpreter is
any good at all (i.e. does some sort of anti-aliasing) and the display
has a 2-bit grayscale, even the relatively low resolution level provided
by the screen ought to look FAR better than it's dpi figure would
suggest... maybe someone out there knows how to compute an "effective"
dpi rating for a 2 bit screen?  Is it, in fact, ~200 "e"dpi?

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (10/22/88)

In article <31144@bbn.COM> mthome@BBN.COM (Mike Thome) writes:
>With respect to DPI levels of NeXT hardware:  Given the actual DPI values
>of the display (*ROUGHLY* 100dpi) and the lzpr (400dpi or 300dpi) you
>should keep in mind that assuming the display postscript interpreter is
>any good at all (i.e. does some sort of anti-aliasing) and the display
>has a 2-bit grayscale, even the relatively low resolution level provided
>by the screen ought to look FAR better than it's dpi figure would
>suggest... maybe someone out there knows how to compute an "effective"
>dpi rating for a 2 bit screen?  Is it, in fact, ~200 "e"dpi?

Here's a hard lower bound.  Studies have shown that 2-bit grayscale
gives you better "perceived" screen resolution than spending the same
bits on extra 1-bit resolution.  Since doing that would give you
SQRT(2) more pixels in each direction, we know that the "effective"
resolution of the 96-DPI NeXT screen must be AT LEAST 96 * 1.41 = 135 DPI,
almost twice that of a Macintosh or Alto.

If anyone familiar with those studies can provide a number saying
how much better the grayscale was, then just multiply 135 by that
factor (which should be slightly greater than 1.0).

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

faustus@ic.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (10/22/88)

In article <74013@sun.uucp>, landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) writes:
> ... Studies have shown that 2-bit grayscale
> gives you better "perceived" screen resolution than spending the same
> bits on extra 1-bit resolution.

Are there any grayscale fonts available, or is it only useful for graphics?

	Wayne

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (10/26/88)

In article <74013@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:

>Here's a hard lower bound.  Studies have shown that 2-bit grayscale
>gives you better "perceived" screen resolution than spending the same
>bits on extra 1-bit resolution.  Since doing that would give you
>SQRT(2) more pixels in each direction, we know that the "effective"
>resolution of the 96-DPI NeXT screen must be AT LEAST 96 * 1.41 = 135 DPI,
>almost twice that of a Macintosh or Alto.

We only know this if we know that the NeXT actually uses the 2-bit gray-
scale display to do grayscale anti-aliasing.  I have the impression that
it does not; does anyone actually know?

David Casseres

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (10/27/88)

In article <148@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>We only know this if we know that the NeXT actually uses the 2-bit gray-
>scale display to do grayscale anti-aliasing.  I have the impression that
>it does not; does anyone actually know?

I too, would like the answer to this.  However, assuming that NeXT *DOES*
use fuzzy fonts and other antialiasing, I have a little more data.  This comes
from "The Media Lab: Inventing the Future at MIT" by Stewart Brand, p.170ff,
which is Copyright (c) Stewart Brand 1987.  Nicholas Negroponte is the
director of the Media Lab.
The Media Lab has in its history a fine example of wrong exploiting - an
excellent, simple idea, instantly applicable, available free to anyone,
that has sat on the shelf in plain view of the world since 1971.

Called Fuzzy Fonts, it is a cheap way to have much higher resolution print
on computer and TV screens.  Negroponte: "It's not subtle.  When you see
it, you gasp."  He's right.  Characters on the screen look just beautiful,
like on paper, and you can read them even if they're tiny.  On a TV set
ordinary fonts are usually presented forty characters on a line, maximum
sixty characters.  Fuzzy Font characters are still easy to read at eighty
characters per line, and you can go up to 100.

"Having to look at stairstep characters and jaggies should be against the
law," declares Negroponte.  "Aliased fonts should be an OSHA violation."
Aliased fonts are what you see on almost all computers.  Each square pixel
(picture element) on the screen is either black or white: one information
bit per pixel.  The problems come when you're representing a sloping line
and you see a jagged edge instead, or the serif at the tail of a character
is smaller than a pixel and it disappears entirely.

"Anti-aliasing" smooths the jaggies by introducing a little gray in the
right places.  With two-bit pixels instead of one-bit you have the choice
of black, white, or two shades of gray.  That disappearing serif can be
represented by a light gray pixel, and your eye reads it as a serif.  It's
cheap because doubling the resolution this way only doubles the cost,
whereas doubling the resolution by doubling the number of pixels quadruples
the cost - four jaggy one-bit pixels instead of one fuzzy two-bit pixel.

Negroponte: "I personally have exposed tens of thousands of people to
Fuzzy Fonts since Paula Mosaides - I remember her name because she was
Greek - got us started with this back in 1971.  The only semi-convincing
argument against it I've heard is from people who claimed that the eye
seeks out crisp edges, and if it encounters nothing but fuzzy edges it
gets much more tired.  That turned out to be wrong.  Acuity is sharpness
of the image; resolution is some measure of the finest level of detail
that you can read.  They are not the same at all.  You can give up acuity
and gain resolution.

"Now, IBM ran an experiment where they presented the reader a page with a
number of typographical errors in it, and the person was supposed to read
the page and find the typographical errors.  They would do it on paper,
then do it on a screen with different errors but the same number of them.
With a normal IBM or Macintosh screen they were something like 60 percent
less efficient than on paper.  Then they antialiased the fonts and put in
the same kind of errors, and people came up with 98 percent of the
efficiency of paper.  So Fuzzy Fonts on a screen are the closest
approximation to paper in terms of your ability to read them."

Another test had people bringing a line on a screen to just touching a circle
on the screen.  If the line and the circle were anti-aliased with a little
gray with two-bit pixels, the people were twice as precise.  It is not just
an aesthetic effect.  Fuzzy Fonts may be the Media Lab's single most proven
commercial idea.  Why it had to wait until 1987 to become a product is a
mystery.  (Apple finally introduced Fuzzy Fonts on their second-generation
Macintosh computers in spring, 1987, followed by IBM.)
I'm puzzled by this last reference.  Fuzzy Fonts on a Mac?  Does anyone
know more about this?

At any rate, the above seems to indicate that two-bit anti-aliasing can
get you about 2x resolution, so the NeXT is *capable* of an effective
resolution of just under 200 DPI, *if* they implemented it.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

erics@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Eric Schlegel) (10/27/88)

In article <74769@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
>I'm puzzled by this last reference.  Fuzzy Fonts on a Mac?  Does anyone
>know more about this?

Color QuickDraw and Font Manager support gray-scale (fuzzy) fonts on a mac II.
I've never seen any fuzzy fonts actually created, however.

------
Eric Schlegel                 |  DISCLAIMER: I'm just a poor college student,
eric.schlegel@dartmouth.edu   |  which means I'm not responsible for what I

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/28/88)

In article <74769@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
>mystery.  (Apple finally introduced Fuzzy Fonts on their second-generation
>Macintosh computers in spring, 1987, followed by IBM.)
>I'm puzzled by this last reference.  Fuzzy Fonts on a Mac?  Does anyone
>know more about this?

The Macintosh II supports color fonts (notice the color Apple symbol
on the DA menu), including gray-scale needed for fuzzy fonts.  I have
never heard of anybody selling fuzzy fonts for the Mac, but it can be
done.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

In article <74769@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
>Negroponte:  "... The only semi-convincing
>argument against it I've heard is from people who claimed that the eye
>seeks out crisp edges, and if it encounters nothing but fuzzy edges it
>gets much more tired.  That turned out to be wrong..."

This particular argument may be wrong, but I do believe I recall at least
one fairly-authoritative person observing that there is little solid
scientific evidence for the notion that fuzzy edges are just as good as
higher-resolution sharp edges.  (Anecdotes and testimonials are not
evidence, or rather they are notoriously unreliable evidence, as witness
the wilder claims for the Dvorak keyboard.)
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/01/88)

In article <241@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>The Macintosh II supports color fonts (notice the color Apple symbol
>on the DA menu), including gray-scale needed for fuzzy fonts.  I have

I am told the color Apple is not a font.  I got 2 pieces of mail
telling me that (1) it is an icon that (2) is hardcoded from an MBar
procedure.

Not that I know what that means, but I feel better having confessed,
and I feel more embarrassed that my first correction was to
comp.sys.mac, but the erroneous article was here.

If I take a deep breath maybe the confusion will subside...

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent