[comp.sys.next] the Bookstore now sells the newest SunOS for $35

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (11/02/88)

In article <4038@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>From: mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg)
>>NeXT's distribution method for formatted system disks will break new
>>ground for the computer industry, it being currently hard
>>to buy AT&T derived Unix in the bookstore for $50, including the disk.
[...]
>I believe binary distributions are tied to a CPU, not a disk, so as
>long as each machine has a license it's ok, the fact that there's more
>than one disk image isn't necessarily unusual. I'll assume you can't
>buy a NeXT w/o an AT&T binary license. I could imagine AT&T changing
>that though and charging some copying fee, it obviously is of some
>value to NeXT's way of doing business (let's face it, it's contracts,
>not science, they can make it up as they go along...er...unlike
>science :-)

All of the world's Suns run SunOS, but I have the feeling that it would
throw some lawyers (not just from Sun) into a tizzy if you sold copies
SunOS distribution tapes in the bookstore for just over media cost.
I'm sure that at some point that might be a doable thing, but currently
there are no mechanisms to do it, at least in what I know of standard
unix binary licenses.

SunOS only runs on Suns and NeXTos only runs on NeXTs.  But they both
run AT&T unix code.

I need to be able to buy a system disk from the bookstore in order to
effectively use the NeXT machine to type up my answers to those nasty
math problem sets.  And I hope I don't have to prove that each of the
machines in the public lab have the right license (as well as my
roommate's machine).

Mike