[comp.sys.next] Questions on NeXT machine

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

In article <17780@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
> - Interchange/backup media.  Apparently the magneto-optical drive is
>	removable, but only one is provided.  Does this mean that one
>	is supposed to make backups by swapping two disks back and
>	forth, perhaps 40 or 50 times?  Or is a second drive
>	essentially mandatory?  How much does a second drive cost?  Is
>	one available?

Remember that this is being sold into a University environment, not
the home market.  Right now, because they can't make enough to satisfy
all the demand, it's only being shipped to selected departments in
selected institutions that can really make it shine (not an
unreasonable strategy!).

All such departments are already fairly well along in the workstation
world, and have NFS server capacity already in place.  Those servers
also have tape drives (1/2" or 8mm or whatever) in use as mass backup
devices.  Local NeXT disks can be backed up with standard BSD rdump to
some central tape drive.

The optical drive is intended to be used similarly to the way students
use floppies right now: carry your work into a public lab and start
working on any machine.

Alternatively, one could set up a NeXT-only cluster, with one machine
configured with lots of big fast disks on the E-SCSI port.  Then the
optical drive could be a backup medium for the central server files.

Similarly for a standalone machine: I wouldn't want to run Mach from
the optical drive, though it could be done.  If a machine must run
remotely from a server environment (like in my study at home - I only
wish! :-), it should be configured with a conventional Winchester disk
as its primary mass storage, and the optical drive used for software
installation, backups, and media portability.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Look into my eyes and try to forget that you have a Macy's charge card!

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/20/88)

(Note that followups are directed to comp.sys.next)

In article <[9.5]karl@ddsw1.alt.next> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) writes:
>With regards to Next machines only being available to colleges:
>
>I hope Jobs comes around to reality soon...

I'm not an eastern mystic, but there seem to be several realities
involved here.

>Failing to serve a major market segment that wants to purchase his
>machine (ie: you and I, folks) is a big, big mistake.  Being arrogant
>and saying "you want one, go to college!" is not the answer.

Failure to narrow one's focus in order to accomplish a goal is a big,
big mistake.  Many companies, larger ones that NeXT (160!) have gone
under while trying to be everything to everyone.  Kudos to one who
will recognize the limitations of size and time during a start-up
phase.  His statement, if flip, was at least realistic.

>If Next really expects we, the developers and software publishers, to
>come out with software for this beast, they had BETTER give us more
>of a market than the University crowd!

Many Universities are happy using free software, and some may be happy
not to use your software.  A lot of interesting work is done at
Universities and shared freely with the rest of the community.  That's
the nature of academia.

>The university market represents too little money to gain our full
>support.

You make your market target decisions, and let others make theirs.
The collection of bundled (and unbundled) software that's available
for the NeXT cube is truly impressive, but wouldn't really interest a
real estate developer.  It's targeted at the academic market.

>Also -- how about GNU?  Since GNU C is part of the package, can I
>sell my product that I compile using this compiler?

Of course.  Read the GNU General Public License if you have questions.

>Or must I follow the GNU General license with regards to my product
>if compiled using that compiler, essentially reducing the value of
>the product to zero?  If the second case holds true (ie: you can't
>really resell compiled binaries)

This issue gets rehashed frequently on the GNU newsgroups.  If you
read the License, you'll note that FSF only copyrights its work, and
it certainly couldn't copyright yours.

>If Jobs wants this machine to succeed, he _must_ market to the
>general consumer.

We'll all watch and see, won't we?

>You can bet that Sun and DEC are working on something to compete with
>the NEXT box -- and that you and I will be able to buy that product.

You'll be able to buy a NeXT box sometime, when they have production
capacity left over from serving their primary focus design market.
I'm looking forward to Sun's and DEC's (and HP's and IBM's and ...)
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Now, I think it would be GOOD to buy FIVE or SIX STUDEBAKERS
 and CRUISE for ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!!

In article <25146@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>>Or must I follow the GNU General license with regards to my product
>>if compiled using that compiler, essentially reducing the value of
>>the product to zero?  If the second case holds true (ie: you can't
>>really resell compiled binaries)
>
>This issue gets rehashed frequently on the GNU newsgroups.  If you
>read the License, you'll note that FSF only copyrights its work, and
>it certainly couldn't copyright yours.

True it couldn't copyright mine, BUT the license specifically REQUIRES
to ship the "sources" of the product compiled with GNU-C.  While this
might be OK for a university project, I can see no company doing that.
As I understand it, NO software bundled with the Next box has been built
with GNU-C, but instead with Stepstone Objective-C.  Do I get the source
of those bundled programs? I doubt that.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (10/21/88)

In article <12935@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>True it couldn't copyright mine, BUT the license specifically REQUIRES
>to ship the "sources" of the product compiled with GNU-C.

I just read the file COPYING from the GNU CC distribution with the
title "GNU CC GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (Clarified 11 Feb 1988)" and
don't see anything of that sort in it.  The closest it comes is source
availability requirements for "GNU CC (or a portion or derivative of it..."
I don't think output of a compiler is considered a "derivative" of the
compiler.  I would bet they are referring to hacking parts of GCC into
your own code.

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/22/88)

In article <12935@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>True it couldn't copyright mine, BUT the license specifically
>REQUIRES to ship the "sources" of the product compiled with GNU-C.

Again, this issue gets rehashed regularly on the gnu.all newsgroups.
Please read the GNU CC General Public License, which only restricts
you in how you handle FSF's code.  It makes no attempt to constrain
you regarding your own work.

If you'd like a copy of that License, please drop me (or FSF) a line.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
My EARS are GONE!!

bzs@xenna (Barry Shein) (10/23/88)

From: karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger])
>With regards to Next machines only being available to colleges:
>
>I hope Jobs comes around to reality soon...
>
>Failing to serve a major market segment that wants to purchase his machine
>(ie: you and I, folks) is a big, big mistake.  Being arrogant and saying
>"you want one, go to college!" is not the answer.

My guesses are that:

A) The system is tailored to a specific form of University usage more
than meets the eye (eg. the only real purpose of the removeable
optical media is to be able to walk your world around campus and use
any machine, for the rest of us we'd find the disk inadequate in speed
etc as we wouldn't reap the benefits.)

B) He's more or less sold all the machines he expects to be able to
manufacture in the next year or two to commitments from Universities,
so it's a kind of sour grapes comment from him.

C) (More Cynical) He wants to tell you *you* can't have one, people
fall for that kind of stuff.

D) He's projected a marketing and support organization that can only
adequately deal with University environments, such as having them
provide their own service etc. Companies might be able to do this, but
he may have found they are not willing to do this and would rather buy
machines with full, external support. Note that this may not be a
flippant decision, one of the hardest things about getting into the
computer manufacturing business is figuring out, when you're small and
new, how the heck to service that one machine in ColdWater Flats and
not lose your shirt on such systems. This is particularly difficult
with small, inexpensive systems where the margin is tiny. It could
require one full-time person sitting in ole ColdWater waiting for a
phone call, or flying people in when there's a problem. How could you
do that for less than, say, $100K in equipment? Again, return to
factory may be unacceptable in such situations.

I dunno, you might be right, he might be wrong, but I think those
reasons above, if true, (one more comma in this sentence and...)
could belie some motivations which are understandable. (whew!)

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (10/25/88)

In article <25427@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
|In article <12935@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
|>True it couldn't copyright mine, BUT the license specifically
|>REQUIRES to ship the "sources" of the product compiled with GNU-C.
|
|Again, this issue gets rehashed regularly on the gnu.all newsgroups.
|Please read the GNU CC General Public License,

|					        which only restricts
|you in how you handle FSF's code.  It makes no attempt to constrain
|you regarding your own work.

This sentence and a half is not very clear.

1) if you compile a program, with or without GCC, that has any GNU
source merged with it, including linking in any GNU library object
code, the entire program is covered by the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE.  If you
don't like this, find other non-GNU code to use.

2) if you compile a program with GCC that has no GNU source code in it,
you can legally do what you wish with it.

The GNU Project has a preference that its tools only be used to
produce programs whose source code is freely redistributable, but the
Project can't legally turn that preference into a legal requirement.

|If you'd like a copy of that License, please drop me (or FSF) a line.

	gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu is the FSF place to ask.

enjoy -len

PS: discussion of this, now that the facts are straight, isn't
appropriate to this newsgroup, please take it elsewhere.

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (10/26/88)

>1) if you compile a program, with or without GCC, that has any GNU
>source merged with it, including linking in any GNU library object
>code, the entire program is covered by the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE.  If you
>don't like this, find other non-GNU code to use.

Hmm, what if I compile a program I don't own the rights to distribute
source to, such as recompiling a utility off of the SysV tape? I am
certainly licensed (by AT&T) to redistribute the binary to
sublicensees but the sources require the recipient to have his/her/its
own AT&T source license?

Just being difficult...and in the wrong newsgroup...

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

mbkennel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Matthew B. Kennel) (10/26/88)

>>1) if you compile a program, with or without GCC, that has any GNU
>>source merged with it, including linking in any GNU library object
                                                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>code, the entire program is covered by the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE.  If you
>>don't like this, find other non-GNU code to use.

If this is indeed true, and if the GNU C compiler is the primary
compiler for the NeXT system, this seems to mean that in effect,
_no_ software developed on the NeXT computer may be sold, or even given
away without source!

Is this really true?  If so, I sure hope that Jobs has either written
a compatible library or is planning on getting another compiler (sniff)
Real Soon Now...

Can we have a FSF expert comment?

Matt K
mbkennel@phoenix.princeton.edu

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (10/26/88)

>>>1) if you compile a program, with or without GCC, that has any GNU
>>>source merged with it, including linking in any GNU library object
>                                                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>code, the entire program is covered by the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE.  If you
>>>don't like this, find other non-GNU code to use.
>
>If this is indeed true, and if the GNU C compiler is the primary
>compiler for the NeXT system, this seems to mean that in effect,
>_no_ software developed on the NeXT computer may be sold, or even given
>away without source!
>
>Is this really true?  If so, I sure hope that Jobs has either written
>a compatible library or is planning on getting another compiler (sniff)
>Real Soon Now...
>
>Can we have a FSF expert comment?

(I'm not an expert on anything and don't represent anyone but myself.)

As an example of GCC, when it is used on a Sun GCC produces assembly
code which is (by default) assembled by the native assembler and
linked with the native linker.  What is linked with the output of
the assembler is the native /lib/crt0.o, the native libc.a, and
/usr/local/lib/gcc-gnulib.  The gnulib file appears to be produced
from a 321 line long C file that I assume could easily be replaced
by a vendor, NeXT in this case.  If NeXT uses Mach then (as I understand
it) libc.a and crt0.o are either from Mach or from 4.3BSD.  Just because
GCC may be the compiler for the NeXT box does not mean that is also the
source of libraries.

--

jc@heart-of-gold (John M Chambers) (11/03/88)

In article <25146@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> (Note that followups are directed to comp.sys.next)
>
> In article <[9.5]karl@ddsw1.alt.next> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) writes:
> >With regards to Next machines only being available to colleges:
> >
> >I hope Jobs comes around to reality soon...
>
> >Failing to serve a major market segment that wants to purchase his
> >machine (ie: you and I, folks) is a big, big mistake.  Being arrogant
> >and saying "you want one, go to college!" is not the answer.
>
> Failure to narrow one's focus in order to accomplish a goal is a big,
> big mistake.  Many companies, larger ones that NeXT (160!) have gone
> under while trying to be everything to everyone.  Kudos to one who
> will recognize the limitations of size and time during a start-up
> phase.  His statement, if flip, was at least realistic.

Yeah, but it may not even be that complicated.  I'd like to remind y'all
that most of use are very familiar with a similar story.  For the first
decade of its existence, Unix was basically distributed (at a very low
price) to universities, and nobody (at ATT or elsewhere) even tried to
build a market.  After a few years, those universities started turning
out a crop of graduates who, when put to work on the various commercial
systems, all said things like "What's this garbage?  Why don't you get
a GOOD system instead of ______?"  [Fill in the blank yourself.]  What
was a good system?  Why, Unix, of course.  Not that is't perfect, but
it was far ahead of things like OS/MVS that the industry was pushing,
if you wanted to do anything other than run a few canned packages from
the vendor.

The first few new hires that said this could be dismissed as starry-eyed
academic idealists.  But when corporate manages (at ATT and elsewhere)
noticed that they ALL acted this way, well, the news slowly got through
thick corporate skulls that maybe this was worth investigating, and that
maybe, just maybe, OS/MVS wasn't the way God intended computers to run.

With BSD, it happened again.  Despite all of ATT's marketing power,
BSD-based systems are doing very well against Sys/V, and as usual it's
taking the corporate world (at ATT and elsewhere) a very long time to
stop dismissing it as the ravings of a bunch of wierd student types.
Events like Sun becoming a billion-a-year company eventually get the
attention of corporate marketing types, but they aren't about to do
things like BSD until someone else develops the market.

Personally, I suspect that Steve Jobs is gambling on being able to
pull off the same trick.  Imagine 5 years from now, you are hiring
new graduates to work on your new ______ workstations, and the new
hires are all saying things like:  "You call this turkey a workstation?
For half the price, you could have bought a NeXT and you'd be getting
some work done instead of beating your head against the wall trying
to make the kludgey thing work."  The first two or three you will
dismiss as silly academic types that don't understand the Real World,
but when the ALL act that way, well, maybe, just maybe you'll start
to get the idea.

Meanwhile, the corporate Unix developers (at ATT/Sun and elsewhere)
are busy making their Unix into something that competes with OS/MVS...

--
From:	John Chambers <mitre-bedford.arpa!heart-of-gold!jc>
From	...!linus!!heart-of-gold!jc (John Chambers)