[comp.sys.next] NeXT stat sheet

cb29+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad Kavanaugh Bisk) (10/27/88)

Here is a quick review stat sheet on the company NeXT.  This should answer most
of the basic questions people have had.  I'm pretty sure of everything except
where noted by a question mark.  If you find anything in error or have anything
to add, please email me.
------------------------------ NeXT ------------------------------
Main Office:
        NeXT, Inc.
        3475 Deer Creek Road
        Palo Alto, CA  94304
        (415) 424-0200
        (415) 424-0476 FAX

Announcement Locations:
- October 12, 1988 - 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon
        Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall
        (invitation only)
        201 Van Ness Avenue
        San Francisco, California
- October 13, 1988
        The NeXT Day
        (an event for developers)
        San Francisco Hilton
- October 25, 1988
        Scheduled Press Conference
        (content unknown)
        New York, NY
- October 25 - 27
        NeXT at EDUCOM

Regional Sales Office:
        Next Sales Office
        Two NorthCenter
        Pittsburgh, Pa 15212
        (412) 231-4466

State of the Corporation:
- Founded: October 1985
- Members of the Board:
        Steve Jobs: Chairman
        H. Ross Perot: representing personal interests
        John P. Crecine: representing Georgia Inst. of Tech. (was from CMU)
- Monetary Status:
        $20M invested by H. Ross Perot
        $660,000 invested by Stanford
        $660,000 invested by CMU
        $12M invested by Steve Jobs
- Ownership:
        63% - Steve Jobs
        16% - Ross Perot
        2% - each of the (5?) people that originally broke away from Apple to
join him
        1% - Stanford
        1% - CMU
- Assets:
        - Pixar:
                - from dow-jones.indust.edp bboard: "A small computer-graphics
company in San Rafael, Calif. called Pixar Inc. -- also owned by Jobs -- already
uses the [DSP] technology to generate in just second moving images that other
computers need hours to draw."
        - Automated assembly plant - Fremont, CA

Board of Advisors: (24 college representatives)
        - Barbara Morgan, director of advanced technology planning, UCB
        - Williams Y. Arms? - CMU

Marketable Products:
        NeXT T-Shirt: (shipped to many early developers)
                - colored
                - displays NeXT logo
                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo
        NeXT coffee mug: (may be for company gifting only)
                - clear glass with etched (monochrome) logo
        NeXT pencils, bags, and folders: given away at NeXT Day
        NeXT machine:  see below for details

Capabilities of NeXT machine:
- Hardware Specs: (basic machine)
        - 25 MHz 68030 main processor
        - 25 MHz 68882 math coprocessor
        - 25 MHz DSP56001 (2 cycles/instr giving 12.5MIPS) (confirmed)
        - Integrated Channel Processor (ICP) - 12 DMA channel controller
        - Optical Storage Processor (OSP) - provides ECC and double buffering
        - 16 SIMM slots on main board - accepts 1MB modules or higher (when
avail.)
        - 8 slots come filled with 1MB SIMMs for 8MB standard
                - no parity or ECC - 8 1Mx1bit chips per SIMM
        - 256 KB for display RAM
        - 256 MB erasable optical disk (drive by Canon/controller by NeXT)
        - 2 5.25" full height device bays - 1 taken by optical disk
        - 2 16-bit D/A's (44.1 MHz) for stereo output (in monitor unit)
        - 8-bit codec for voice input (in monitor unit)
        - 4 32-bit, 25MHz, CMOS level NuBus like slots
                - Form Factor: Eurocard Type C connector
                - 1 slot taken by main board - 3 left open
        - Universal power supply
- Ports:
        - DB-19 monitor port - video, keyboard, mouse, stereo sound, microphone
input, and 12V DC power
        - "thin" Ethernet port - 10Mbit/sec - AM7996 Ethernet transceiver chip
        - DB-9 serial printer port - 1.8 mbps and 3.2 mbps
        - DB-25 SCSI port - rated at up to 4.8 MB/sec (NCR 53C90 chip)
        - 2 serial ports (Mac mini DIN-8, 230.4Kbps sync and 38.4Kbps asynch)
        - DB-15 DSP port (to synch and asynch channels on port C of DSP)
- Externals: (included in basic system)
        - 17-inch 2 bits/pixel gray-scale monitor - 1120 x 832 pels, 94-dpi
        - keyboard - 84 key - attaches to monitor
        - mouse - 2 button optomechanical - attaches to keyboard
Software Included: (all on the boot disk)
- System Software
        - MACH operating system (from CMU)
                - system-call compatible w/ BSD4.3
                - includes Sun NFS RPC service (version 2) built upon UDP
                - includes current Van Jacobsen TCP code
                - supports shared libraries
                - NeXT mods are being reported back to CMU MACH
        - Display PostScript Window Server and fonts (Adobe)
        - System administration tools
- Application Development Tools
        - Objective C 4.0 (Stepstone Inc., Sandy Hook, Connecticut)
        - GNU ANSI C compiler (Free Software Foundation)
                - libraries rewritten by NeXT
                - compiled programs are not restricted by GNU license
        - GNU C debugger (Free Software Foundation) with Objective C extensions
        - GNU emacs (Free Software Foundation)
        - Allegro Common Lisp (Franz, Inc.)
        - Berkeley Unix utilities
        - Terminal Emulator
        - NeXT Step interface (sold rights to IBM for $10M)
        - Interface Builder
        - DSP Tools - assembler, debugger, and array processing routines
        - Speech features - record and play only (recognition stuff *not*
bundled!)
- Object-oriented software kits:
        - Application Kit
        - Sound Kit
        - Music Kit
        - High-speed text-retrieval application (called "Find")
        - Array Processing Kit (using DSP)
- Applications
        - Mathematica (Wolfram Research)
        - Write Now (word processor, owned by NeXT)
        - Workspace Manager - window-based file manager
        - Mailapp - electronic mail (including VOICE mail)
        - Jot (Notepad, text database manager)
        - NeXT SQL Database Server (Sybase)
        - Digital Librarian - includes but is not limited to:
                - Merriam-Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary
                - Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus
                - Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (Oxford Univ. Press)
                - Oxford Complete Works of Shakespeare (Oxford Univ. Press)
                - NeXT technical references
                - user and programmer manuals

Software in the Works:
        - page layout program (Frame Technology Corp.)

Price:
        - $6,500 to educational institutions only
        - Does not include distribution and service charges?  Institution will
have to handle that.

Delivery Dates: (none solid)
        - 4thQtr 88 - version 0.8 - to developers only
        - 1stQtr 89 - version 0.9 - developers & agressive users
        - 2ndQtr 89 - version 1.0 - educational institutions & developers

        - laser printer - $2,000
                - customized, Canon based? print engine - 8 page/sec
                - uses standard toner cartridges and paper trays
                - 300 DPI @ 1.8 Mbit/sec and 400 DPI @ 3.2 Mbit/sec
                - no controls on printer (not even a power switch)
                - no memory or CPU onboard, streams data from interface to image
        - 330 MB winchester internal hard disk (Maxtor) - $2,000
        - 660 MB winchester internal hard disk (Maxtor) - $4,000
        - extra 256M optical disk drive - $1,500?
        - optical diskettes - $50
        - 25MHz CMOS NuBus interface chip - $25 to developers
        - RJ-11 Phone Plug adapter - still under develpment
        - (rumoured) color graphics (Pixar) - still under development

Steve Jobs:
        - estimated worth on leaving Apple: $90M in stocks
        - attended Reed - dropped out?
        - Past hits: Apple II, Macintosh
        - Past misses:  Apple III, Lisa

Misc Goodies:
        - It's black and made of magnesium
        - NeXT.com is on the arpanet
                - sunset.NeXT.COM (4.0/NeXT0.0-Aleph)
                - next.NeXT.COM (4.0/SMI-4.0Beta)
                - herman.NeXT.COM (4.0/SMI-4.0Beta)
                - reminder: arpa rules - no business or commercial related use
        - the desktop has a black hole for file deletion

- In print:
        - Infoworld issue of Sept. 26
        - San Jose Mercury News of October 7
        - Wall Street Journal, October 12 - ** best general info
        - Unix Review, October?
        - EE Times, October 17, 1988
        - PC Week - October 17, 1988; vol. 5, no. 42
        - CMU Public Relations Office
        - Byte article (also avail. on BIX) - ** best technical info.
        - Newsweek - cover story - Oct. 24, 1988
        - BusinessWeek - cover story - Oct. 24, 1988
- On-Line:
        - Unix NetNews: comp.sys.misc
        - Internet domain BBoard: info-mach
        - Unix NetNews: comp.os.mach
        - Gnu information: gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu

Interim contact for people interested in becoming a developer:
        - John Ison, (415) 424-0200

NeXT employees: (total of 160 as of 10/20/88)
        - Peter Schofield - Pacific NW regional manager for NeXT
        - Ali T. Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com - NeXT Developer Support
        - John Ison
        - Julius Smith
Hope this helps.

-- Chad Bisk
-- cb29@andrew.cmu.edu

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (10/27/88)

>                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo

When I saw this on that entrepreneur show on PBS (?) featuring Jobs
and others (I guess it was on about a year and a half ago) I was
amazed that for $100,000 all you could get was the ugly NeXT logo.
Almost as bad as the infamous tilted rectangle logo of CMU for
which they paid dearly.  Ah, but then again I work for a company
with one of the slickest logos going....

About two years ago I saw a Mercedes with the license plate "NEXT INC"
(I think that's what it was) driving on Page Mill near the NeXT
building.  Anyone know if it's Jobs that has that plate?

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

chavez@ksl.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (10/28/88)

In article <74950@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
>>                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo
>
>When I saw this on that entrepreneur show on PBS (?) featuring Jobs
>and others (I guess it was on about a year and a half ago) I was
>amazed that for $100,000 all you could get was the ugly NeXT logo.

I happen to really like the NeXT logo, especially as it appears
(in relief) on the actual Cube.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

R. Martin Chavez
Stanford Medical School

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/28/88)

For Announcement Locations you forgot:

Boston Computer Society's November General Meeting.  November 21, 7:30 PM,
Symphony Hall, 301 Massachusettes Avenue, Boston.  One ofthe first times
mortals will get a chance to see it.

Kent Borg (BCS Member)
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (10/28/88)

In article <74950@sun.uucp>, swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) writes:
> >                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo
>
> Almost as bad as the infamous tilted rectangle logo of CMU for
> which they paid dearly.  Ah, but then again I work for a company
> with one of the slickest logos going....

Yes... Sun has *the* slickest logo going (at least that's my opinion).

I'm not interested in buying a logo though... I'm buying the guts of a
machine and boy do I like what I see in the guts of the NeXT's hideous
little box.  I particularly like the fact that it runs an OS for which
I can obtain source code and which will be compatibile with numerous
public domain packages.

Anybody know what SUN or APPLE are offering to compete or is it too
soon to ask?  I was considering a used SUN or a Mac II running A/UX
for a home machine, but these options look pretty silly now compared to
NeXT.

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

Shar and Enjoy!

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/29/88)

> Almost as bad as the infamous tilted rectangle logo of CMU for
which they paid dearly

But the rectangle is tilted at exactly 14 degrees... which translates to a
4 to 1 run to rise pixel ratio on a system with a square pixel ratio; Macintosh.

more trivia from hell,
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

Ok, Ok, it may not be 14 degrees exactly, but it is a 4:1 run:rise-- to cut
down on screen and print jaggies (well, at least make them spaced regularly).
It was designed with that in mind.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/29/88)

In article <74950@sun.uucp>, swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) writes:
> >                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo
>
> When I saw this on that entrepreneur show on PBS (?) featuring Jobs
> and others (I guess it was on about a year and a half ago) I was
> amazed that for $100,000 all you could get was the ugly NeXT logo.
> Almost as bad as the infamous tilted rectangle logo of CMU for
> which they paid dearly.  Ah, but then again I work for a company
> with one of the slickest logos going....
> --
> Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com

I think I have disagree.  The Sun logo is clever, but I don't find
it pretty -- the NeXT logo is at least pretty.  Anyone who needs to
throw a $100,000 into logo production, email me -- I'm sure I can come
up with something every bit as nice as the NeXT logo, and I'll only
charge you $50,000. :-)

Seriously, the money people put into logo designs makes no sense --
especially when you look at how unimpressive the results are.  Remember
when NBC paid five or six figures for a two color "N"?

--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (10/29/88)

From article <74950@sun.uucp>, by swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson):

> About two years ago I saw a Mercedes with the license plate "NEXT INC"
> (I think that's what it was) driving on Page Mill near the NeXT
> building.  Anyone know if it's Jobs that has that plate?
>
> Scott Wilson

	Yes, that's him. I had the pleasure of being next to this car
in a typical traffic jam one Saturday evening on 280. Steven Jobs was
in the car with none other than Mr. Perot.

	When he isn't in traffic, he books. I have had him buzz by me
several times and haven't been able to catch up...

-Jim Becker

Charlie@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Charles Anderson) (10/29/88)

In article <7080@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
|In article <74950@sun.uucp>, swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) writes:
|> >                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo
|>
|> Almost as bad as the infamous tilted rectangle logo of CMU for
|> which they paid dearly.  Ah, but then again I work for a company
|> with one of the slickest logos going....
|
|Yes... Sun has *the* slickest logo going (at least that's my opinion).
	Personally I like the SGI 3D wire frame cube.  (our eclipses at
work came with this neeto keen spining SGI logo....It says personal IRIS..
I love it.)

-Charles Anderson--
Charlie Anderson - caa@midgard.mn.org

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (10/29/88)

>I particularly like the fact that it runs an OS for which
>I can obtain source code

As long as you've bought the requisite license from AT&T (no, CMU didn't
rewrite every single piece of it) - and assuming that NeXT will provide
the source to all the requisite bits (the kernel and library stuff they
changed?  NeXTStEP?).

ns@cat.cmu.edu (Nicholas Spies) (10/29/88)

In article <74950@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
>>                - paid $100,000 to Paul Rand to design logo
>amazed that for $100,000 all you could get was the ugly NeXT logo.
>Almost as bad as the infamous tilted rectangle logo of CMU for
>which they paid dearly.  Ah, but then again I work for a company
>with one of the slickest logos going....

The classic logo story is that of NBC, who also paid something like $100,000
for a logo that turned out to be _identical_ to that of Nebraska Public
Television, which got some sort of cash settlement, and I think some equipment
for the trouble. The Nebraska people had, of course, paid very little to an
artist, whom we can only hope has gone on to bigger and better things...

--
Nicholas Spies			ns@cat.cmu.edu.arpa
Center for Design of Educational Computing

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (11/01/88)

In article <346@auspex.UUCP>, guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> >I particularly like the fact that it runs an OS for which
> >I can obtain source code
>
> As long as you've bought the requisite license from AT&T (no, CMU didn't
> rewrite every single piece of it) - and assuming that NeXT will provide
> the source to all the requisite bits (the kernel and library stuff they
> changed?  NeXTStEP?).

My understanding is that the AT&T parts are being replaced.  There's
aa lot there to be replaced though I'm sure.  AT&T wrote more than
just the kernel.  There are all kinds of tools as well.  At least we
have the GNU C and C++ compilers.  The fact that NeXT is using these
is a GOOD sign.

Jobs philosophy on computing seems coherent and straight-forward so
far.  I'm hoping that he will maintain a policy of complete openess
and deliver all source code as well as updates (not everyone has
access to the net) and libraries.

Source code strictures and resistance to change are killing Unix and
Mach might be just what's needed to spark some creative progress (or
plunge us all into total anarchy ;-).

--

stuart@ihlpe.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (11/02/88)

In article <7080@potomac.ads.com>, jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
> Anybody know what SUN or APPLE are offering to compete or is it too
> soon to ask?  I was considering a used SUN or a Mac II running A/UX
> for a home machine, but these options look pretty silly now compared to
> NeXT.

Well, John, the problem is that the real release of the "cube" won't
be availble until the second quarter of 1989 (release 1.0 of the
software not expected until then).  Also, Jobs has stated EXPLICITLY
that it is only available to university people then.  Besides, what
software do you want for it?

I wouldn't count on the "cube" being available to the general
public until mid 1990 at least.  So if you want to get anything
done, buy the Sun or Mac II.  The Mac, at least, has lots of
affordable commercial packages.  Both the Mac and the Sun support
large quantities of public domain software, NOW.

Is it worth waiting 18 months for a machine?  If so, why do you
even need it?  Sorry, I'm probably overreacting.  Crud!  Where
*IS* that asbestos coat?

Stu

--
Stuart Ericson			AT&T Bell Laboratories
USEnet: att!ihlpe!stuart	IH 2H210

dhsu@crunchyfrog.Sun.COM (David Hsu) (11/03/88)

In article <609@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>In article <74950@sun.uucp>, swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) writes:
>> .  Ah, but then again I work for a company
>> with one of the slickest logos going....
>
>I think I have disagree.  The Sun logo is clever, but I don't find
>it pretty -- the NeXT logo is at least pretty.

Actually, it all seems kinda funny to me since (if I'm not mistaken) Sun
paid somebody a tidy sum to tell them to turn the original logo 45 degrees
and to paint it purple.

-dave

David Hsu
dhsu@sun.com			<standard disclaimer>

"I feel better already knowing that Sherlock Holmes is British."

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (11/11/88)

In article <3717@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, stuart@ihlpe.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) writes:
> In article <7080@potomac.ads.com>, jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
> > Anybody know what SUN or APPLE are offering to compete or is it too
> > soon to ask?  I was considering a used SUN or a Mac II running A/UX
> > for a home machine, but these options look pretty silly now compared to
> > NeXT.
> >
> Well, John, the problem is that the real release of the "cube" won't
> be availble until the second quarter of 1989 (release 1.0 of the
> software not expected until then).

This is true.... and I intend to wait until then for my machine.

> Also, Jobs has stated EXPLICITLY that it is only available to
> university people then.  Besides, what software do you want for it?

Well, I'm a part-time student and... I've done a lot of reading in my
spare time (remember the commercial on TV where Abe Lincoln is
explaining why he should be admitted to college?).  Seriously, I am a
part-time student so maybe I can get one this way.

What software do I want for it?  Well... I want a Mach kernel and 4.3
running on it.  I want to talk to my machines at work via something
like SLIP and exchange news/mail withe machines on Usenet and
Internet.  I REALLY want to buy a sampler board for the thing (when
they become available) and generate CD quality music with it so I
intend to write/port/obtain sequencer/composer/sample manipulation
software.

Ambitious enough?

> I wouldn't count on the "cube" being available to the general
> public until mid 1990 at least.  So if you want to get anything
> done, buy the Sun or Mac II.  The Mac, at least, has lots of
> affordable commercial packages.  Both the Mac and the Sun support
> large quantities of public domain software, NOW.

But neither machine implements a public domain Unix with any hope of
producing 44.1 Khz sound (boards are available for the Mac but A/UX is
not terribly attractive compared to Mach).