[comp.sys.next] Sorry to post this, but...

scco@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Sean Colbath) (11/11/88)

...we're still running off of a host table, and we don't know about
daitc.daitc.mil.  Sigh.

From: scco (Sean Colbath)
To: jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil
Subject: Hi there!

Jon Krueger?  Not *the* Jon Krueger, who used to work at the U of R?  If it
is you, how's it going?  What are you doing with yourself?  And, is there
any host I can mail you through or you can mail me through?

> >VMS has a Unix-type shell, and one or two others
> But the user can't choose his shell or switch among them, and they
> don't run as unprivileged programs.  For instance, DCL lives in p1
> space, something which ordinary programs aren't allowed to do.

True, but VMS can exist quite well without DCL.  It's not hard-wired per se.

> >VM/CMS is actually two separate systems - *VM* is the operating
> >system, CMS is an operating system that runs under VM.
> Correct.  But CMS is both a CLI and OS (filesystem, program control,
> resource manager).  You can't separate the CLI from the rest,
> therefore CMS isn't a shell.  Plus all of the restrictions noted
> above.

Similarly here.  The point I was trying to make was that neither of these
are exactly baked into the OS.  The system that runs on the actual computer
is a standalone thing, independant of what the user sees.  They can all be
replaced.

> Now, get a life and stop reading these computer nets all the time, or
> you'll turn into a computer geek!
> -- Jon
> --
> Jonathan Krueger
> If you see this article being operated in an unsafe manner, call
> 	...uunet!daitc!jkrueger  jkrueger@daitc.arpa  (703) 998-4777

Ha!  It's probably too late!

Sean Colbath

Internet: scco@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
UUCP:	  ...{ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers,allegra}!rochester!ur-cc!scco
BITNET:   SCCOCCSS@UORVM
"...and now for something completely different..."