[comp.sys.next] The NeXT keyboard...?

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (11/13/88)

Recently, I had a chance to play with a NeXT's components after a demo
that was given at my school for us Comp. Dept. employees...I had the
folllowing gripe:  The keyboard, while extremely sexy (nice feel :-))
and snazzy in black, is just about the size of the regular Mac keyboard,
AND has the cables stuck in the middle of the back...meaning any kind of
stress tends to pull them out.  Also, I found that if you are one of the
lazy like me, and want to put the keyboard in your lap, say, it is
simply too dratted small, and uncomfortable to work with if it is not on
a perfectly flat surface like a table.  It is thin (in terms of space
bar to number row) and it will spend much of its time tilted if you put
it in your lap.  Any comments from those out there?
   I don't think I'd want to buy one.  But I'd love one as a gift. :-)
(Yo, Steve?...)
					-JBZimmerman!

--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

dean@violet.berkeley.edu (Dean Pentcheff) (11/14/88)

  zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>.... Also, I found that if you are one of the
>lazy like me, and want to put the keyboard in your lap, say, it is
>simply too dratted small, and uncomfortable to work with if it is not on
>a perfectly flat surface like a table....

I'd rather have a keyboard that's too small than too large.  If it's too small
I can always rest it on a big (but thin!) book for my lap.  If it's too large,
though, it will _always_ eat a big bite of my desk.  Not to say that I liked
the original Mac keyboard (but that had more to do with the feel and the
selection and layout of keys, not the shape).

-Dean

Dean Pentcheff        dean@violet.berkeley.edu
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I
thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life - so I became a scientist.  This
is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.               M. Cartmill