[comp.sys.next] NeXT's BIG 3.5" mistake.

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (10/24/88)

/ comp.sys.next / chavez@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Ramon Chavez) / Oct 24, 1988 /
>... The operator would
>ask the student to type a magic cookie to the program, which would then
>generate a number based on the machine's unique Ethernet ID.  Finally,
>the operator would tell the student to type a special number, which would
>turn the application into a full-fledged, full-function, authorized copy.
>
>The scheme has several advantages: ... (2) developers
>would actually get paid for every active copy ...

Oh no, they wouldn't.  They would get paid for every DORMANT copy, since it
will tie the software down to a workstation.

There've been a lot of postings here that visualized a lab of NeXT machines
where a student can just walk up to any workstation, insert their own
optifloppy, and use it.  If software is tied down to an Ethernet address,
either the student has to carry their own CPU card also (since that's where
the Ethernet port is) (hmmm.... interesting ARP implications here :-), or
EVERY workstation has to be licensed for all possible software.

So, you get exactly the same situation that is prevalent now in the
networked world: software vendors charging you per seat, whether that seat
is occupied or not.  (For example, the company that puts "The Network Is
the Computer" on every glossy they produce, then proceeds to multiply all
their software prices -- purchase as well as maintenance -- by the number
of "terminals" on that "computer".)

Yuck!!!!

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (10/25/88)

" He [Jobs]  suggested that certified
"developers might include their software (together with on-line documentation)
"on an optical disk to be shipped by NeXT with each machine.  Clearly,
"a great many applications would fit on a single magneto-optical floppy.
"The applications would do everything except save data.  Students could
"play with the programs as much as they like.  After deciding to purchase
"a particular piece of software, the student would call an 800 number
"and give his Visa/Mastercard number to an operator.  The operator would
"ask the student to type a magic cookie to the program, which would then
"generate a number based on the machine's unique Ethernet ID.  Finally,
"the operator would tell the student to type a special number, which would
"turn the application into a full-fledged, full-function, authorized copy.
"The scheme has several advantages: (1) developers wouldn't have to shrink-
"wrap, ship, and market their products through middlemen; (2) developers
"would actually get paid for every active copy; and (3) the $50 cost of
"the magneto-optical material becomes irrelevant.
"
"R. Martin Chavez
"Stanford University School of Medicine
The scheme also has several BIG DISADVANTAGES:
Lets suppose that I'm a developer who started programming (or wanted to port
their software to ) for the NeXT Machine after a year or two.  Well then All the
people (the entire potential market would not have a copy of my software)  In
order to combat this problem NeXT would have to release a new disk (with ALL of
the previous applications) to everyone ( or ideally to NeXT dealers, although
why bother going to the trouble of releasing a "demo" version if everyone has to
go to a dealer to pick up all the new stuff anyway?  Why not just have the
dealer demo things and then SELL them, so that the dealers can make money for
their effort!).  Now ask yourself this: Just How often will NeXT be able to
release another disk?  Once a month? Once every Two or Three Monthes?  Also If
the user only has a few disks (I don't know anyone really needs more then
500MEGS of storage for personal usage) then they are opening themselves up to
viruses by going to the dealers (as was previously mentioned), and also the
copying would have to go file by file (since you can't copy over my old data
and programs), and with the optical drive that would be a slow process indeed...
Also consider the problem of new versions (or do you expect the developers to be
perfect the first time?), you have to wait for another disk release from NeXT
and then you have to go through another validation proceedure etc.   Also, this
removes the possibility of mail order software, which is my prefered methiod of
buying software (since the prices are a lot better and I generally know what
programs I want to get so I don't need the help of a dealer...).  Also the issue
of pirating comes up, I know of a few IBM (yuck) programs that had a similar
system, and they ended up being pirated quite a bit, since any hacker (given
time) could take out the checks (no mater if they were or were not machine
dependent) or just find the algorithm to generate the proper "Magic" word...
All in all a floppy drive is one of the most useful things for a computer
because of the following:

A> Floppies a a cheap means of distribution.

B> Floppy drives are cheap ($100-$200) so one can easily have 2 and thus copying
is also easy (How many people could afford 2 optical drives?)

C> Floppies are a convienient means of moving data from DIFFERENT computer
systems (Although
formats are different most drives are capable of reading data with the proper
software, now how many people do you know with optical drives for their
computers? Not a whole lot I'de immagine)

These  reasons are more then enough to justify (necessitate?) floppy drives for
personal computers,
(BTW IBM RT's  have floppy drives, so there is some precidence for work stations
having them too.)
In any case if NeXT ever wants to move into the home market then they'll NEED
floppies.

| Disclaimer: Me?  Post That, impossible I never post anything...            |
| TypetoYouLater(Everyone); --> "functional Good bye"....                    |
| Rick Golembiewski [ Pronounciation is half the Battle, spelling the other] |

chavez@ksl.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (10/25/88)

Steve Jobs also announced, at the developers' luncheon, that it's
time to confront the issue of site-licensing (before the Supreme
Court confronts it for us).  NeXT, I believe, wants to address the
problems of software distribution (by tying copies to Ethernet
addresses) AND site-licensing, though not necessarily with the
same means.

R. Martin Chavez
Stanford Medical School

mark@navtech.uucp (Mark Stevans) (10/25/88)

In article <0XMtqn087E-0A14EYk@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
> Floppy drives are cheap ($100-$200) so one can easily have 2 and thus copying
>is also easy (How many people could afford 2 optical drives?)
>
>In any case if NeXT ever wants to move into the home market then they'll NEED
>floppies.

But NeXT has not announced any plans to enter the home market.  The intended
configuration of NeXT machines seems to be bunch of them on a LAN in
some University computer center.  It will be quite easy to backup your optical
disk over the Ethernet from one NeXT machine's single optical drive to its
neighbor's.

I hope we will ease up on these intensely egotistical "Boy I'm gonna tell the
world where Steve Jobs screwed up" articles until we get first-hand experience
with the product.  At present, almost everything we know is based upon his own
meticulously scripted (and scored) product introduction and press releases --
I have enough confidence in the man (albeit second-hand) to trust him not to
make mistakes of such magnitude that they would be intuitively obvious to
outsiders such as ourselves.  In all probability, these mysterious gaps serve
to conceal his genius, rather than to reveal his ignorance.

						Mark "Spiny" Stevans
						spar!navtech!mark

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (10/25/88)

In article <0XMtqn087E-0A14EYk@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
"" He [Jobs]  suggested that certified
""developers might include their software (together with on-line documentation)
""on an optical disk to be shipped by NeXT with each machine.  Clearly,
""a great many applications would fit on a single magneto-optical floppy.
"...
"The scheme also has several BIG DISADVANTAGES:
"Lets suppose that I'm a developer who started programming (or wanted to port
"their software to ) for the NeXT Machine after a year or two.  Well then All the
"people (the entire potential market would not have a copy of my software)  In
"order to combat this problem NeXT would have to release a new disk (with ALL of
"the previous applications) to everyone ( or ideally to NeXT dealers, although
"why bother going to the trouble of releasing a "demo" version if everyone has to
"go to a dealer to pick up all the new stuff anyway?...

And then, look at it from the user's point of view: I buy a next machine with
the software-disk, and after 2 years I want to buy one of the software
packages. I *really* don't want the 2 year old version of that package which
I have on my disk. So I would have to pay $50 to get a new disk just to
get the one program...

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     | att!grumpy!debra |

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (B.SZABLAK) (10/26/88)

In article <0XMtqn087E-0A14EYk@andrew.cmu.edu>, rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
> Now ask yourself this: Just How often will NeXT be able to
> release another disk?

Seems to me that if your computer has a unique ID then there is no need
to restrict yourself to disks for distribution. You could send e-mail
to a distributer with a software order which he e-mails back to you. You
run the demo system and see if you like it. THEN you call the distributer
and give him your credit card number or what ever. After all, these
disks are writeable...

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (10/26/88)

>>The scheme has several advantages: ... (2) developers
>>would actually get paid for every active copy ...
>
>Oh no, they wouldn't.  They would get paid for every DORMANT copy, since it
>will tie the software down to a workstation.
>
>There've been a lot of postings here that visualized a lab of NeXT machines
>where a student can just walk up to any workstation, insert their own
>optifloppy, and use it.  If software is tied down to an Ethernet address,
>either the student has to carry their own CPU card also (since that's where
>the Ethernet port is) (hmmm.... interesting ARP implications here :-), or
>EVERY workstation has to be licensed for all possible software.
>
>So, you get exactly the same situation that is prevalent now in the
>networked world: software vendors charging you per seat, whether that seat
>is occupied or not.  (For example, the company that puts "The Network Is
>the Computer" on every glossy they produce, then proceeds to multiply all
>their software prices -- purchase as well as maintenance -- by the number
>of "terminals" on that "computer".)
>
>Yuck!!!!
>
>Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu

I *think* you missed the point here. The student wouldn't pay for the
software until s/he wanted to use it, it would be on there more or
less for free (unless your point is that the $50 cost of the disk is
an issue?)

S/he would then call a phone number and give a charge card number for
the magic cookie and the card number would be charged. I don't know
that the ethernet address was at all relevant, it could just as easily
be a serial number imprinted on the disk to be read to the operator.
It's not like authentication is a big issue, you are going to get
charged for the software, right?

What *I* don't understand is that this is supposed to be attractive
due to its "instant gratification" aspect (ie. you suddenly got an
urge for that game tucked away in there? Just run over to the phone
and have it released!) BUT, a lot of software really requires manuals
to get started with.

I guess manuals can be had (perhaps some would be down at the campus
bookstore, in a bull-pen, the library or borrowed from a friend), but
if you have to wait for them to ship manuals the software may as well
be in the same box in many cases, then again that begs the original
question about distribution media, I'm sort of off on a slightly
different topic (as much as I am enticed by Mathematica, for example,
when I sat down to it w/o a manual I couldn't figure out how to do
even the smallest thing, not a criticism!!!! just that I needed a
manual or some way to know that a semi-colon or whatever was needed at
the end of an expression and what a legal statement looked like, there
may have been on-line help I missed.)

Other than that, it still makes perfect sense to me, just that some
folks were emphasizing the instant gratification aspect which seems
small to me in most cases (maybe it would start a trend towards more
"getting started" docs right on the disk, released with the software
when the magic cookie is presented, sure, why not?)

	-Barry Shein, Possibly Rambling At, ||Encore||

chavez@ksl.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (10/26/88)

In article <4003@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>What *I* don't understand is that this is supposed to be attractive
>due to its "instant gratification" aspect (ie. you suddenly got an
>urge for that game tucked away in there? Just run over to the phone
>and have it released!) BUT, a lot of software really requires manuals
>to get started with.

Jobs suggested that manuals would also be distributed electronically,
in Digital Librarian format.

R. Martin Chavez
Stanford Medical School

news@nud.UUCP (Usenet News Administrator) (10/26/88)

Ok, is the number that the sales operator gives me over the phone going
to activate the latest release of the product?   Very clever of them to
include the future works of their programmers on the release disk.

Oh, we will have to wait for the next 'official release' from NeXT that
includes this particular product?  No problem you say, the vendor will
just send the update out on a (gulp) $50 disk.

This is a serious concern.  How many products have a stable shelf life?
Certainly nothing being developed by the late night hackers at major
universities :-) :-) :-).

--
| @ @     //    Save the Ewacs Society                  Dave Kinzer         |
|  L     //                                             noao!nud!fbog!dbk   |

jshelton@deimos.ads.com (John L. Shelton) (10/26/88)

WHy the fuss about manuals?  Assuming the software comes on a 256mb
disk, how much trouble could it be to use the Digital Library for a
reference manual?  (Yes, I know some people want to take the manual
elsewhere to read....)

=John=

jshelton@deimos.ads.com (John L. Shelton) (10/26/88)

Seems like it might be possible to use something like a CD-ROM in the
NeXT optical disk drive; it could be pressed in a plant by the 1000s
for $2.00 each (like any other CD-ROM), and used for software
distribution, since the user doesn't really need to write onto a
distribution disk.  $2.00 each is pretty close to cost of distribution
via floppy.

I know the formatting/track-density/all-sorts-of-other-parameters
probably aren't the same as for CD-ROM, but still should be possible
with minor re-tooling.

Wouldn't want to see what happens when the NeXT drive tries to write
on a read-only disk.

=John=

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/26/88)

In article <0XMtqn087E-0A14EYk@andrew.cmu.edu>, rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
>  (I don't know anyone really needs more then
> 500MEGS of storage for personal usage)

I don't know anyone who ``really needs'' a computer, for that matter :-)
Seriously, though, I don't think 500 MB is at all out of line for a
serious information worker, though current user-interface technology might
restrict your ability to use it to its potential. Just look at all the
paper piled around you. A few filing cabinets add up to ~1 GB, and a
sizable library runs into the terabyte range. If we ever hope to get
on top of our information-handling mess, we're going to need _lots_ of
storage. Until we have some rational way to make sure that once question
X gets answered anybody who needs that answer gets it immediately, we
can hardly imagine we have enough storage. However, storage is only
one piece of the puzzle. If other factors limit its effectiveness (lack
of standards, lousy displays, societal disorganization), then I suppose
that just throwing more storage at the problem won't help.

Maybe nobody ``needs'' 500 MB, but one thing is sure: everybody I know
wants more than they have right now. That's because computer storage
makes information more available, and hence more useful, than it is
in paper form. Thus if more storage becomes available, people find
ways to profitably use it. I could certainly benefit from having all
the research literature in my field on-line. It certainly wouldn't
fit in 500 MB, either. Even though I won't directly use _all_ of it,
I can't predict exactly which of it I might need. The only safe solution
is to make sure I have all of it.

People who can use >500 MB right now include people doing graphics work,
as well as musicians and composers. This is not just to handle their
literature needs, but to save and distribute their output.

Dan Mocsny

Paper: the Curse of the Pharaohs.

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (10/27/88)

/ comp.sys.next / bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) / Oct 25, 1988 /
>>>The scheme has several advantages: ... (2) developers
>>>would actually get paid for every active copy ...
>>
>>Oh no, they wouldn't.  They would get paid for every DORMANT copy, since it
>>will tie the software down to a workstation.
>
>[The student would] call a phone number and give a charge card number for
>the magic cookie and the card number would be charged. I don't know
>that the ethernet address was at all relevant, it could just as easily
>be a serial number imprinted on the disk to be read to the operator.
>It's not like authentication is a big issue, you are going to get
>charged for the software, right?

Not only is the Ethernet address relevant, it's the key point in my
objection.

Sure, you'll be charged for the software -- for activating one copy of it.
What the software vendors don't want you to do then is be able to use that
copy more than once at a time.  At least the more reasonable software
vendors have this attitude.

The unreasonable vendors (who are, alas, the majority currently) don't want
you to use it on more than one machine, period.  If you want to use
HerbaCalc (not a real product... as far as I know :-) on workstation A, you
pay for it.  If you come back tomorrow, and workstation A is busy, so you
want to use workstation B instead, then you better pay for another copy of
HerbaCalc for that workstation.  THAT is what tieing the software to an
Ethernet address does.  It is despicable, but that's how it's often done.

Tieing it to a serial number on the disk presents another problem: the disk
becomes a copy-protection gadget.  The "evils" of those damned things have
been rehashed over and over on Usenet, so I don't dare get into it at any
depth.  The obvious disadvantage: how do you run a program distributed on
disk 1 concurrently with a program distributed on disk 2?

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/27/88)

It has been mentioned that one of the largest problems with the lack of
a floppy drive (specifically, a 3.5" floppy) is that there is no easy way
to back up the floptical...

From personal experience, backing up on to 3.5" is not a solution.
- it's miserable
- fast backup programs don't verify writes... fairly easy to get an error.
- it's slow, and there isn't much you can do during wait times because they
  don't last very long
- it's difficult to manage that many discs; safe storage, labeling, etc.

On the Cube, it would be even more miserable because of the high-capacity of
a flopty disc-- it would take a lot of 1.4meg 3.5" to back up even a half
full flopty.

Backing up between two machines on a net or to a tape drie seems like not
only a better solution, but about the only solution.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

<Disclaimer; the relevancy of the back-up speeds that i have experienced may
 not be too terribly high; my back-up experience is with FastBack and DiskFit
 on a Mac... the mac has no DMA.>

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (10/28/88)

From: gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore)
>Not only is the Ethernet address relevant, it's the key point in my
>objection.
>
>Sure, you'll be charged for the software -- for activating one copy of it.
>What the software vendors don't want you to do then is be able to use that
>copy more than once at a time.  At least the more reasonable software
>vendors have this attitude.

My apologies, I thought everyone was speculating but it's starting to
look like they really will use the ethernet address as part of the
verification, thus it may only run on one machine in the universe (eg.
you can't use your friend's when yours is in the shop, with your
software.)

If that's true (and I still find it a little hard to believe) then it
doesn't even qualify as idiotic, it would have to be improved to
qualify at that high a level.

The only out I see is that the O/S sets the "hardware" ethernet
address on boot, so it's really just keyed into your disk (and that
means that disk copies won't work unless you copy the whole disk and
don't share an ethernet with the same disk, usually an easy thing to
do.) DecNot required that ability cuz it calculated an enet address
out of its node address, and everyone in the networking community
agreed the idea was stupid as a rock.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/28/88)

In article <344@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
>In article <0XMtqn087E-0A14EYk@andrew.cmu.edu>, rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick
>Francis Golembiewski) writes:
>>  (I don't know anyone really needs more then
>> 500MEGS of storage for personal usage)
>Just look at all the
>paper piled around you. A few filing cabinets add up to ~1 GB, and a
>sizable library runs into the terabyte range.

Say what?  That's so if you store it all as bitmaps, but that's a
pretty dumb way to store most books.  Let's say the average book has
50,000 words.  I've usually found average bytes per word to be 6.5
to 7 bytes, so let's be conservative and say 8.  That leads to 400,000
bytes per book.  (And note I'm not bringing in Huffmann coding.)  A
sizable library is a few thousand books; let's say ten thousand.  That
leaves us with four billion bytes of storage for a very sizable
library.  Nowhere near the terrabyte range.  Now, if you're talking
about a public library, you can reach that range, but not with a
professional or personal library.

I'll grant that I've omitted graphics and index costs, but I doubt
those would more than overbalance the omission of Huffmann encoding in
the estimate above.  Even if they raised the estimate an order of
magnitude (take two, they're small) we would still be way short of a
terrabyte.

And according to this estimate, a Next disk will hold 671 books at 256M.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"What's bad? What's the use of turning?

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (10/28/88)

/ comp.sys.next / bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) / Oct 27, 1988 /
>My apologies, I thought everyone was speculating but it's starting to
>look like they really will use the ethernet address as part of the
>verification, thus it may only run on one machine in the universe [...]

I WAS speculating.  But the speculation was based on what I'd seen with
software sold for Suns.

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/29/88)

In article <5772@hoptoad.uucp>, tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
> In article <344@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
> > A few filing cabinets add up to ~1 GB, and a
> >sizable library runs into the terabyte range.
>
> Say what?  That's so if you store it all as bitmaps, but that's a
> pretty dumb way to store most books.

Dumb from the standpoint of storage requirements, but compression
schemes shift the burden away from storage onto the processor. People
won't abandon paper for electronic media until the latter have
similar capability to present information as well as speed and
flexibility advantages. And 98% of the world's recorded information
is in printed form. Until we have some standard way to convert it
all into compact logical page descriptions, the easiest short-term
solution is to use bitmaps for some things. Yech.

The biggest reason people like paper is because it delivers superb
display quality. Paper won't go away if computers can only deliver
80x25 ASCII. You've got to deliver quality screen typesetting, you
need quality grey-scale or color graphics, and you need to have
display speeds approaching how fast you can flip through pages
in a book. Sure, you can strip a book of all its bells and whistles
and pack it onto a double-sided floppy. And wait around for it to
decompress and show up on the screen. Whatever storage scheme you
use, it has to be fast. That limits how tight you can pack it.

I'm writing a book using LaTeX. I have about 1MB of ASCII source, and
the book isn't all that long (about 300 pages typeset, and I'm not
done yet). I have plenty of line drawings, but no photos. Running
LaTeX on the source takes well over an hour on a Compaq 386. The .dvi
file is larger than the source, roughly double. To make the book
pleasantly readable anytime soon, the user needs the .dvi file. To
exploit the searching capabilities of the computer, the user will want
a full-text index, which will require 2-3MB. So 1MB of ASCII source
generates 4-5 times as much storage requirement to deliver the
information usefully. You probably could not compress this by more
than half without paying an intolerable speed penalty.

We can haggle over how we are going to store and present text, but
graphics are the real problem. The need for graphics is not trivial,
else we would have long ago tossed out our magazines and books
and been happy with our character displays. Furthermore, the density
of graphics in books reflects not only the need for them, but the
costs and hassles involved in producing and reproducing them.

If I had photos in my book, the storage requirements would be enormously
greater. To accurately digitize a fine color print requires at least
4k by 4k by 24 bits. That's ~4 x 10^8 bits, or 50 MB. Say we have a
fast compression scheme that cuts it down by a factor of 50. You still
only get ~500 quality images on a CD-ROM.

With suitable prestidigitation 50 MB
on a printed page doesn't have to mean 50 MB on the disk. But the
bottom line is the paper piles on my desk can show me those nominal
50 MB, and that's what I want to see, and quickly.

We can always bring up sound and video if we find ourselves with
more storage than we know what to do with. Static descriptions on
paper do not really do justice to many fields of study. Especially
skill-oriented domains such as medicine, arts, laboratory chemistry,
etc. The information content of my paper piles is only a crude
lower bound on how much information I could profitably use if
I could get it quickly and cheaply enough.

About library size: the on-line catalog at my university lists
over 800,000 volumes, and I find what I am looking for about half the
time. Obviously I won't live long enough to read 800,000 volumes, but
an intellectual community needs fast access to a resource at least as large.
Unless I had a very well-defined job that was about to get automated,
I couldn't imagine being able to do very well with only the books I
can personally afford to buy and store in paper form.

Dan Mocsny

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (10/29/88)

Well, if we can't call them disks or discs, we could always call them
discks...:-)
					JBZimmerman!

--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (10/31/88)

From: ns@cat.cmu.edu (Nicholas Spies)
>At $40/book that's $26,840.00 + $50.00 for the disc itself. Just the
>author's royalties, figured at 15%, would make the disc cost $4,026 (after
>all, why should the authors take a loss?). Therein lies the problem of very
>dense media.

Although your point is very good I think your figuring is high,
authors don't get 15%, more like 1..3% depending on the track record
of the author (first time authors often don't get any royalties, just
a flat fee when the book is accepted.) Also, there will surely be
a lot of titles on that disk for which no royalties are paid to
authors (eg. classics.)

I also think an average price of $40 can be safely dropped to $20,
most of the volume in the publishing industry is in paperbacks anyhow
and many classics are sold in paperback form for under $10. Remember
that the overhead of the paper itself and printing/binding is
eliminated so a lower estimate is justified.

So I get: $20 x 671 x 0.02 = $268.40 as a lower bound, plus let's say
$20 for the disk and copying ($50 is already a *list* price, profits
should be calculated based on overheads) and we get under $300,
fixed. So at $495 there's a decent profit in there for a fairly
hefty collection ("SEND IN NOW...LESS THAN $1/book!")

Beyond that observation I think it's safe to assume that the average
household (or student for that matter) right now has far less than 600
titles on their shelves. So it wouldn't exactly compete with existing
business but mostly create new business as these types of tidy
collections become "must have" items for people, particularly with
school-age children.

(Note: I'm not specifically referring to NeXT here, just the general
electronic publishing milieu.)

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

langford@reed.UUCP (Chris Langford) (11/15/88)

In article <3237@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (L. Greg DeMichillie) writes:
]
]Which of course means that a REAL NeXT system costs $8500, since NeXT only
]sells two hard disks.  The "small" disk is 330MB and cost $2000.  I haven't
]even looked at how much the 660MB drive is.
]
The "large" disk is $4000.
--
Chris Langford  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!langford
langford@reed.bitnet           |         "And to everyone else out there,