[comp.sys.next] 9600 BAUD VOICE

kenw@felix.UUCP (Ken Waletzki) (11/09/88)

There has been a lot of comments about xmitting voice on the 9600 baud modem.
The advantage is being able to integrate voice and data into the 9600 baud
signal on the modem.  I'm not sure if this can be perfectly acceptable.  I
am aware that MICOM (owner of interlan and Black Box) has successfully trans-
mitted good quality voice over 1200 baud.

The trick would be to integrate packets of voice and data in some sort of
low overhead multi-session protocol.  This is, possibly, the only way that
voice and data can be integrated together, and, certainly, the only good reason
to carry real-time voice over a 9600 baud phone-line.

I would like to here from some data-com. people to know if this is feasible.

	-- Ken Waletzki

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (11/15/88)

In article <68500@felix.UUCP>, kenw@felix (Ken Waletzki) writes:
>There has been a lot of comments about xmitting voice on the 9600 baud modem.
>The advantage is being able to integrate voice and data into the 9600 baud
>signal on the modem.
... or to store the voice for later, or ...
>The trick would be to integrate packets of voice and data in some sort of
>low overhead multi-session protocol.
>I would like to here from some data-com. people to know if this is feasible.
Now that this thread has reinvented voice communications, it is on the
verge of reinventing packet-switching as well?  Certainly the voice
over Ethernet systems used packets.  Certainly packet network links
handle multiple sessions.  So the packets of one session are voice and
not data?  It's all just bits on the ether, folks!  Viewed properly,
the phone network has been doing exactly this for years.

Or do I miss the point?  Liberal smileys, at any rate.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr