[comp.sys.next] = An Imaginary Scenario =

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (10/26/88)

1-800-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP
ring
ring
"Mathematical Modeling Inc. order desk"
"Hi, I'm a grad student working on my thesis, and I was wondering how I can
get a working version of Mathematical Modeler. It's perfect for the numerical
analysis in my thesis."
"OK, the first thing is you give us a credit card number...
"Umm, What if I don't have a credit card?"
"I'm sorry, but I can't take your order without a credit card number."
- click -

[ Two months later ]

1-800-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP
ring
"Mathematical Modeling Inc. order desk"
"Hi, I want to get a version of Mathematical Modeler."
"Ok, I'll need a credit card number."
"Visa OK?"
"Visa is fine."
"Ok, it's num-num-num-num-num-num-num-num-num-num-num-num-num."
"Ok, now I need you to type the "getethernodename" command into a shell."
"I'm at home."
"Ok, you'll need to go login first."
"Ok, how about if I call from the University?"
"Ok, that's fine."
- click -

[ Half an hour later ]

1-800-etc
etc.
"Ok, you wanted me to type the "getethernodename" command?"
"Right."
"It doesn't matter which machine, does it?"
"Type it at the machine you want to use the program from."
"Do you mean that I can only use the program from that machine?"
"Yes."
"But what if that particular one is busy. They're all networked, you know."
"Sorry, you'll only be able to use it from that machine."
- click -

--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Hacker from Spaaaaaaaaace.    {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (10/27/88)

In article <10441@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms (Sean Casey) writes:
>"Ok, you wanted me to type the "getethernodename" command?"
>"Right."
>"It doesn't matter which machine, does it?"
>"Type it at the machine you want to use the program from."
>"Do you mean that I can only use the program from that machine?"
>"Yes."
>"But what if that particular one is busy. They're all networked, you know."
>"Sorry, you'll only be able to use it from that machine."
>- click -

This was a problem with FrameMaker on Suns. Their (FrameMakers)
solution was to implement a "license server" process that runs
on your file server. The workstation contacts the license server
to register itself when you start your copy of Frame. If the number
of concurrently running copies of frame matches the limit on your
license, your copy goes into "demo" mode.

I like this solution, however I wonder how long it will be before
I start running out of system resources due to all these daemons
running :-)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/01/88)

In article <10514@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>This was a problem with FrameMaker on Suns. Their (FrameMakers)
>solution was to implement a "license server" process that runs
>on your file server. The workstation contacts the license server
>to register itself when you start your copy of Frame. If the number
>of concurrently running copies of frame matches the limit on your
>license, your copy goes into "demo" mode.

Wow, that would be really easy to defeat.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Kansas? Where?                    {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) (11/01/88)

> ... If the number of concurrently running copies of frame matches the
> limit on your license, your copy goes into "demo" mode.

This would need some tuning for the university environment - the FrameMaker
solution doesn't distinguish the various copies, only the number of them.
So, as long as any ten students had bought rights to program X, up to ten
(not necessarily paying) students could use it.

"Hey, the server down in ICS 2A seems to have a lot of extra X licenses -
you can go down there almost any time and get on!"

"Hey, I paid for an X license, but I still can't save my work because some
one else is using my license - and I have to turn this thing *in*!"

Jack Repenning
jack%hpda@hp-sde.hp.com

scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (11/01/88)

:
:Wow, that would be really easy to defeat.
:
:Sean

Strongly suggest you look up Kerebos in the Winter 1988 Usenix proceedings.
I wrote such a licence server, and at last count it's unbroken after two
years.
--
Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (11/08/88)

]
]This would need some tuning for the university environment - the FrameMaker
]solution doesn't distinguish the various copies, only the number of them.
]So, as long as any ten students had bought rights to program X, up to ten
](not necessarily paying) students could use it.
]

This problem has been addressed in FrameMaker's license server.

We use FrameMaker in our company, I found the license server very flexible.

The system adminstrator can set up a configuration file to "reserve"
license for particular users, "allow" or "disallow" certain user or
host machine to use the licenses.  Furthermore, you can run multiple
license servers to support multiple work group environment.  For example,
the Math department can "allow" only users from their department, yet
reserve one license for the professor.  All these features apply to
individual products independently.  Frame Technology currently sells 4
different favours of the same program.  All managed by the same server.
The configuration file syntax has room for products from other vendor also.

In your scenario, if A, B of the ten students pay for their licenses in full,
and the other eight decided to share 4 licenses, you can purchase 6 licenses,
"reserve" two licenses for A and B, "allow" the other eight students.  Then
two licenses are fixed and the other four float among the other eight users.

When all the licenses are being used, the user can try to switch license
server host.  In a university environment, each department can set up their
own workgroup and share licenses within the department.  The computer center
may supply public licenses for the entire university.  When all licenses
in your own department are being used, you can get one from the public host.

You can set a maximum idle time, if the software is left unused, the server
will take back the license.  When the user come back, if a license is still
available, he/she continues as if nothing ever happened.  If no license is
available, he/she will be given 2 options, save the work or try again.
In a university environment, perhaps limits on maximum usage time may be
needed in addition to the limit on idle time.  I believe Frame must have
considered this option.  But such hostile action does not fit well with
the user friendly environment!  :-)

--
.signature under construction ...

{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax!hpda}!nsc!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
Daisy Systems Corp, 700B Middlefield Road, Mtn View CA 94039.  (415)960-6961

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (11/15/88)

In article <39670001@hpindda.HP.COM> jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) writes:
>> ... If the number of concurrently running copies of frame matches the
>> limit on your license, your copy goes into "demo" mode.
>
>This would need some tuning for the university environment - the FrameMaker
>solution doesn't distinguish the various copies, only the number of them.
>So, as long as any ten students had bought rights to program X, up to ten
>(not necessarily paying) students could use it.

Not quite true. Frame has a concept of 'reserved' users. Our reserved
users are the Documentation Department. Our 'non-paying guests' are
any other engineer, etc. The reserved users can bump the others. The others
can still save their work, just not continue until a license is free.

The frame system also provides for idle release of licenses. Altogether
it works pretty well. I just wish it provided usage reports so I could
decide when we needed more licenses on a more rational basis than when
the complaints exceed a noise threshold.

jim
--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.