[comp.sys.next] I've seen it!

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (11/02/88)

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) writes:
> Even more important to consider is, how useful is it to have color on the
> display if you can't print in color?

Quite...

Speaking as one data point, I could care less about the printing.  I
spend 99.999% of my time staring at the display, not printouts.  So
it's the DISPLAY that I want to be pleasant & bearable (and color
certainly helps in that regard)...

-Miles

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/11/88)

In article <8828@spl1.UUCP> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) writes:
>> Even more important to consider is, how useful is it to have color on the
>> display if you can't print in color?
>
>Quite...
>
>Speaking as one data point, I could care less about the printing.  I
>spend 99.999% of my time staring at the display, not printouts.  So
>it's the DISPLAY that I want to be pleasant & bearable (and color
>certainly helps in that regard)...
>
>-Miles

No one I know can print what they see on TV, but I know lots of people
who couldn't _conceive_ of watching a Black and White set.  (Actually,
no one I know can print what is on their B&Ws either...)

A TV can do things paper can't, and people pay millions of dollars for
those things (whether TV is good for people or society is another
question).

Just because you cannot print the color output that is on your CRT
doesn't mean it is useless.  Having things on paper is very useful,
but it is not the Reason for Existance.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

ronc@fai.fai.com (Ronald O. Christian) (11/16/88)

In article <UXPSr8y00UkaA-eVNU@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>[...]  So
>it's the DISPLAY that I want to be pleasant & bearable (and color
>certainly helps in that regard)...

Obviously he's never had to work with Microsoft Windows...  :-)

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com