[comp.sys.next] PaRITY

patterso@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ross Patterson) (11/02/88)

In article <7493@well.UUCP>, ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) writes:
> I think it was Seymour Cray who was quoted as saying
> 	"Parity is for farmers"

A strange attitude, given that his machines spew out data at a rate far beyond
the abilities of mere mortals to validate.  Ever watch the output of a dynamic
molecular modeling run?  Dumping the contents of a  multi-megabyte array every
thousand or so iterations, over a 100,000+ iteration run produces  more than a
few numbers.  Does Cray want to be the one to go through  them one  by one and
check that they didn't get corrupted by a passing subatomic  particle (or just
a weak DRAM chip)?

> I would tend to support NeXT's decision. Parity is supposed to allow
> you to pinpoint where errors reside, but the software is rarely written
> so that information is easily available.

Parity also allows your hardware to correct  the error,  and inform  you of it
later.  You *CAN* have your cake  and eat  it too.   Systems  I've worked with
before have had  SC/DD (Single-bit  Correct, Double-bit  Detect) hardware that
informs the  error  logger  of exactly  which chip  on which  memory board got
nailed.  The SC hardware lets you get your data out, and in  theory points out
the problem before the chip deteriorates into causing a DD  (which doesn't get
the data  out).    I  understand  that   IBM's  3090   series  has  Double-bit
Correct/Triple-bit Detect logic.  Neato.

>                                          In general if your system memory
> is flakey, you will soon realize that something is up and then you can
> run memory tests to isolate the particular simm module. (I assume that a
> good memory checking diagnostic will be available at a standalone level
> for the NeXT) A useable (thorough) memory test takes a lot of time. It is
> not something that you want to run every boot up.

That's why continual parity  checking is  so nice.   You  don't have  to run a
thorough memory test at every startup, only when you've logged an unacceptable
number of errors.  I agree that a real good beating on the NeXT's standard 8MB
would take much longer than the average user would want to  wait.   But do you
think that IBM's  3090 customers  run one  over all  1024MB of  real memory at
every startup (yes, the largest 3090 can have over a gigabyte of RAM)?

>                                                   And parity memory in
> my experience just is not really that useful. (at least to justify the PC
> real estate)

Perhaps not.  But that's a decision for the person using the  machine, not the
manufacturer.  Joe Owner, running the accounts receivable for his Subchapter S
corporation, Small  Business  Inc.,  no  doubt  feels  that  he's  entitled to
accurate data.  If Itty Bitty  Machines feels  that the  machine they designed
for game use doesn't need  parity, that's  probably all  the use  it will get.
The need  for  reliable data  has absolutely  no relation  to the  size of the
machine.  And just as a sideline, I doubt  JoBS would  appreciate your calling
the NeXT a PC anymore than Bill Joy would like you to call a Sun 3/60 a PC.

Ross Patterson
Rutgers University, CCIS

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/03/88)

In article <Nov.2.10.35.53.1988.1589@hardees.rutgers.edu> patterso@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ross Patterson) writes:
>In article <7493@well.UUCP>, ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) writes:
>>And parity memory in my experience just is not really that useful.
>>(at least to justify the PC real estate)
>
>...I doubt JoBS would appreciate your calling the NeXT a PC anymore
>than Bill Joy would like you to call a Sun 3/60 a PC.

First off, Mr Freed was probably using PC to refer to a printed
circuit board, of which there is always limited area.

Secondly, not all personal computers are made by IBM.  The term "PC"
was in use long before IBM arrogated its meaning (cf semiannual
history discussions in comp.sys.misc or somewhere (I always Kill them
early)), just as the term "hacker" was in use long before the media
corrupted its meaning.  "PC" used to mean something that Alan Kay
would like.  Now it connotes something he'd probably avoid.  Makers of
workstations would probably feel gratified if people viewed them as
personal computers, in the classical sense.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
On the road, ZIPPY is a pinhead without a purpose, but never
 without a POINT.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (11/03/88)

In article <Nov.2.10.35.53.1988.1589@hardees.rutgers.edu>, patterso@hardees (Ross Patterson) writes:
>    I  understand  that   IBM's  3090   series  has  Double-bit
>Correct/Triple-bit Detect logic.  Neato.
No, I think hype.  IBM's game is confidence in their product, and I am
sure this sells in their customer base a lot.

A DRAM failure takes out one bit per word, and if you pay attention at
all to the correction logs you should get the memory chip or board
fixed long before two DRAMs in the same bank fail, or do 3090's build
their gigabyte out of 16k's :-) ?  On the other hand 4kby256 chips
might plausibly want 4-bit-correction, for which the cost would make
even IBM's customer cringe.

I agree that parity/edac ought to be available, and it'll probably
come along eventually by third party or whatever.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) (11/04/88)

In article <Nov.2.10.35.53.1988.1589@hardees.rutgers.edu> patterso@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ross Patterson) writes:
>Parity also allows your hardware to correct  the error,  and inform  you of it
>later.  You *CAN* have your cake  and eat  it too.   Systems  I've worked with
The point was that parity as generally implemented does *not* correct the
error. It just informs you of it usually without any useful information.
It would really make this machine expensive to add things like ECC.

>machine.  And just as a sideline, I doubt  JoBS would  appreciate your calling
>the NeXT a PC anymore than Bill Joy would like you to call a Sun 3/60 a PC.
I have always understood the term PC to stand for "personal computer". I think
that steve would like to think that his computer is designed to be the sort
of user friendly companion that the personal computer is supposed to eventually
be. He did call it a "partner in thought".
This sounds pretty personal to me. :-)
Erik

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (11/04/88)

| From: jr@bbn.com (John Robinson)
|
| I agree that parity/edac ought to be available, and it'll probably come
| along eventually by third party or whatever.

  Uh, how are you going to add parity or ecc on as a third party option?

  Personally, I don't think that it's too late to get some minor
redesigns into the machine before it hits the floor next Spring.  I think
that putting parity on the memory is a top priority along those lines.  I
don't think that ecc is necessary - I just want to know within a
reasonable degree of confidence that my data is correct.

  Other items might be:

	o Going with the Sony optical disk instead of the Canon because
	  of its higher performance and conformance to ANSI standards
	  (anyone have any data on the storage capacity of the Sony
	  disk?).

	o Putting a better input A/D system on it, say 16 bits, so we can
	  do sound sampling for use in synthesis projects (I have
	  absolutely no objects to the voice-mail, or any other voice
	  communication software truncating this down to 8 bits to save
	  on storage).

I view these as features I'd really like to see.  I view memory parity as
a must.

Casey

jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) (11/05/88)

> Today's memory is VERY reliable and (he said) it virtualy never fails one
> cell at a time; usually the entire bank or group of banks fail.

This is not correct.  Present commercial 1 meg DRAMs often have one-bit
soft errors.  In this context, often means about once per year on a system
that has 32 meg of RAM.

> The logic used for parity checking can introduce more errors into the
> system if it should fail.

Due to the types of circuits involved, the parity checking system is much
less likely to introduce errors than the memory itself.

> Implementing parity on a system slowes the system down.  With 100ns memories
> and 200ns to compute parity, one cannot run a system as fast as without
> parity.

This is also not correct.  Parity checking can be pipelined, so that the
parity checker stops the system within 200 ns if an error occurs, but no
delay is introduced for error-free accesses.  At any rate, parity checking on
either nine or 33 bits, using 74AS280 TTL circuits takes less than 20
nanoseconds.

Bob Jewett

(see previous response for disclaimer)

lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) (11/07/88)

In article <17548@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:

>  Personally, I don't think that it's too late to get some minor
>redesigns into the machine before it hits the floor next Spring.  I think
>
>  Other items might be:
>
>	o Going with the Sony optical disk instead of the Canon because
>	  of its higher performance and conformance to ANSI standards
>	  (anyone have any data on the storage capacity of the Sony
>	  disk?).

	This would not be minor.  One of the "mainframe" VLSI chips serves
	as a disk controller for the op drive.  This is why NeXT can sell the
	WHOLE cube for a couple thousand $ more the the Sony Drive.
	( sony drive 4 or 5 thousand  :  Cube 6500 )
	{ This info comes from a NeXT Rep I heard last Wed. at Stanford }

	Part of being on the frontier means you get arrows in your back.

>	o Putting a better input A/D system on it, say 16 bits, so we can
>	  do sound sampling for use in synthesis projects (I have
>	  absolutely no objects to the voice-mail, or any other voice
>	  communication software truncating this down to 8 bits to save
>	  on storage).

	Suppositly, there are boxes coming which will attach to the DSP port
	on the board for doing "good" sound from third parties. These will
	probably show up next spring or summer.

Lyman S. Taylor					lyman@eos.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center		                or
						    more verbose
				...{uunet,hplabs,decwrl}!ames!eos!lyman

dhsu@crunchyfrog.Sun.COM (David Hsu) (11/08/88)

In article <1868@eos.UUCP> lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) writes:
>In article <17548@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:
>>	o Going with the Sony optical disk instead of the Canon because
>
>	This would not be minor.  One of the "mainframe" VLSI chips serves
>	as a disk controller for the op drive.  This is why NeXT can sell the
>	WHOLE cube for a couple thousand $ more the the Sony Drive.
>	( sony drive 4 or 5 thousand  :  Cube 6500 )
>	{ This info comes from a NeXT Rep I heard last Wed. at Stanford }

I don't buy it.  As I recall, the Canon drive itself was meant to sell for
$6000 anyway before Jobs bargained the hell out of them.  Do you really mean
to say that the controller design makes up the difference between that and
the (possibly low) $1495 Unix World quotes for a second optical drive?

-dave

David Hsu
dhsu@sun.com			<standard disclaimer>

"I feel better already knowing that Sherlock Holmes is British."

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (11/19/88)

In article <8794@spl1.UUCP> patterso@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ross Patterson) writes:
>Parity also allows your hardware to correct  the error,  and inform  you of it
>later.  You *CAN* have your cake  and eat  it too.   Systems  I've worked with
>before have had  SC/DD (Single-bit  Correct, Double-bit  Detect) hardware that
>informs the  error  logger  of exactly  which chip  on which  memory board got
>nailed.  The SC hardware lets you get your data out, and in  theory points out
>the problem before the chip deteriorates into causing a DD  (which doesn't get
>the data  out).    I  understand  that   IBM's  3090   series  has  Double-bit
>Correct/Triple-bit Detect logic.  Neato.

You're confusing parity with more complicated error detection/correction
schemes.  Parity is adding one bit, and gives you SED (single-error detection).
It does not allow for any correction, since you have no way of knowing which
bit is wrong (it might even be the parity bit).  SEC/DED requires a larger
overhead, and DEC/TED even more.
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman