[comp.sys.next] NeXT not revolutionary enough?

conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) (10/28/88)

	Following an on-campus presentation (not a demo) by NeXT last
week, I had an interesting "discussion" with one of the professors in
the CS department. (He is a Macintosh owner and one of his current
research interests is in visual programming languages.)  The following
is from my, perhaps faulty, recollection of the discussion.

	He maintained that the NeXT computer will be a failure because
it not revolutionary enough.  Its only advantage is a short-term
hardware capability/pricing advantage over the other available
UNIX-based workstations.  He sees the NeXT as trying to impose a
visual, object-oriented overlay ("a Smalltalk-like environment") onto a
text-oriented UNIX base.  These he contended are incompatible
notions--they mix like "oil and water."  The UNIX base insures that
the visual and sound-oriented capabilities can't be used in any truly
revolutionary way.

	Thoughts anyone?

H. Conrad Cunningham, Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science,
		      Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (10/29/88)

>He sees the NeXT as trying to impose a visual, object-oriented overlay
>("a Smalltalk-like environment") onto a text-oriented UNIX base.
>These he contended are incompatible notions--they mix like "oil and
>water."  The UNIX base insures that the visual and sound-oriented
>capabilities can't be used in any truly revolutionary way.

This sounds like one of those annoying oracular pronouncements - often
made, to use Dorothy Parker's line, "without fear and without research" -
that computer types are occasionally prone to.

1) What does he mean by "a text-oriented UNIX base"?  What is the "UNIX
   base"?

   Does he mean the OS, considered in the sense of "sections 2, 3, 4,
   and 5 of the programmer's manual" (or "sections 2, 3 and 4 of the
   programmer's manual and section 7 of the administrator's manual" for
   those of you in S5-land)?  If so, I don't see what's "text-oriented"
   about it; the OS intrinsics (whether implemented as traps to the
   kernel or not) aren't all that "text-oriented" - file I/O is in
   sequences of bytes, which need not be text.

   Does he mean what small set of routines you might think of as "user
   interface" routines are in the OS intrinsics set?  Well, the NeXT
   machine comes with a window system toolkit, just like the Mac, so
   you're not stuck with "printf".

   Does he mean the utilities?  Well, they're useful for some things,
   and it's nice that you can probably get at them from NeXTStEP;
   however, they're not the be-all-and-end-all of UNIX.  You can
   implement a set of "visual, object-oriented" utilities atop them, if
   you wish.

2) How does he consider these notions "incompatible"?  I had the
   impression that the Mac's moral equivalent of the UNIX OS intrinsics
   - file system, mainly, and assorted goodies like time-of-day
   services, etc. - were not all that radically more "revolutionary"
   than the UNIX ones.  If you ignore the two-part file poop, doesn't
   the Mac basically have files that are collections of bytes?  There's
   little, if anything about the Mac file system that I'd consider
   "revolutionary"; hell, the first version didn't support a
   hierarchical directory structure, and this was *after* several other
   OSes, including UNIX, showed that such directory structures work
   nicely - Multics did so *quite* a while ago.

   The Mac has other intrinsics that vanilla UNIX doesn't currently
   have.  Two that come to mind are the window system and graphics
   toolkits - but UNIX is now, following its grand tradition of "first
   it has no WXYZ, then it it has more WXYZs than you care to think of",
   acquiring several of them (if NeXT licenses NeXTStEP to more than
   IBM, it may acquire one more) - and the internationalization stuff, a
   lot of which is covered by ANSI C.  The same applies for the sound
   intrinsics; presumably the NeXT box has a similar set of intrinsics.
   (Or will.)

The main potential difference I see is that the Mac has zillions more
applications than the NeXT box *currently* has.  However, I don't see
that UNIX makes it impossible to write the same kind of applications,
and UNIX+NeXTStEP may end up making it easier to write them than the Mac
OS/Toolbox does.

manis@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (10/29/88)

In article <471@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad
Cunningham) writes:
>  He sees the NeXT as trying to impose a
>visual, object-oriented overlay ("a Smalltalk-like environment") onto a
>text-oriented UNIX base.  These he contended are incompatible
>notions--they mix like "oil and water."  The UNIX base insures that
>the visual and sound-oriented capabilities can't be used in any truly
>revolutionary way.

I keep hearing this canard, and, frankly I can't buy it. Basically, the
issue for `revolutionariness' is not the operating system, but the under-
lying physical architecture. By that metric, Unix/Mach is neither more nor
less revolutionary than the Mac OS (whose original file system was so un-
revolutionary that it reminded one of William F. Buckley).

It's clear that the leverage we need for truly revolutionary applications
comes from massively parallel systems, either loosely coupled (in a network)
or tightly coupled (e.g., Transputers or the Connection Machine). It comes
from large mass-storage devices and  high-bandwidth networks. It even comes
from high-resolution displays and printers. It also comes from lowering
costs.

On the other hand, even a machine as bourgeois as the IBM PC can wreak
revolutionary changes in its users. Ask any humanities scholar who uses
word processing, data base, and electronic mail programs on one of those
obsolete clunkers (which I'm in fact using as I type).

What NeXT claims to have done (the proof will be in the pudding), is to
produce a state-of-the-art workstation for a lower price than others will
charge. They also claim to have developed better interfaces, but one can
presumably use their machine without their interfaces (I've done it on a
Mac lots of times), if one wants different ones. NeXT seems to believe that
if one can put a machine of this sort on peoples' desks, they will do
interesting things with it. That claim will have to wait for enough machines
to be delivered before we can test it.

____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
___ \  _____  The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
____ \  ____  Department of Computer Science   | manis%cs.ubc@relay.cs.net
___  /\  ___  University of British Columbia   | uunet!ubc-cs!manis
__  /  \  __  Vancouver, BC, Canada            | (604) 228-2394
_  / __ \  _ "In the U.S.S.R., newspapers all print the same thing because
____________  the government tells them to. American newspapers all print the
              same thing even though the government doesn't tell them to."

tli@sargas.usc.edu (Tony Li) (10/30/88)

In article <471@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) writes:

    	He maintained that the NeXT computer will be a failure because
    it not revolutionary enough.  Its only advantage is a short-term
    hardware capability/pricing advantage over the other available
    UNIX-based workstations.  He sees the NeXT as trying to impose a
    visual, object-oriented overlay ("a Smalltalk-like environment") onto a
    text-oriented UNIX base.  These he contended are incompatible
    notions--they mix like "oil and water."  The UNIX base insures that
    the visual and sound-oriented capabilities can't be used in any truly
    revolutionary way.

I recall that Sun Microsystems failed for exactly these same reasons.

;-)

Tony Li - USC University Computing Services - Dain Bramaged.
Uucp: oberon!tli
Bitnet: tli@kylara, tli@ramoth
Internet: tli@sargas.usc.edu

conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) (11/01/88)

In article <354@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>This sounds like one of those annoying oracular pronouncements - often
>made, to use Dorothy Parker's line, "without fear and without research" -
>that computer types are occasionally prone to.
	I probably over-dramatized a portion of a hallway conversation.
Like many such discussions the content is as much ideological as
technical. :-) I will try to respond to a few of the points.  By the
way, I tended to take the side in the discussion that said the UNIX
base was a good, pragmatic choice.  I am not a visual programming
advocate (nor a Mac user), but I thought these ideas were worthy of
discussion.

>1) What does he mean by "a text-oriented UNIX base"?  What is the "UNIX
>   base"?
	NeXT uses Mach; Mach is essentially UNIX.  UNIX's primary view
of the world is one-dimensional:  files as streams of bytes (mostly
textual) and textual user interfaces (as text files or user
interactions).  The simplicity and portability of this view is one of
the reasons for UNIX's success.  (Along with the fact that AT&T made
the sources available to universities and research institutions very
cheaply--at least in the early days.)  UNIX is good example of 1970's
technology.

>2) How does he consider these notions "incompatible"?  I had the
>   impression that the Mac's moral equivalent of the UNIX OS intrinsics

	Trying to build systems which integrate two- (or three-) dimensional
and/or multisensory (e.g., sound as well as sight) concepts on top of
an inherently one-dimensional, textual environment probably result in a
non-standard kludge.  For consistency, the basic operating environment
should be built with such concepts assumed as basic elements.

     The Lisa/Mac was somewhat revolutionary for the mid-1980's.  Although
not all aspects were revolutionary or even "state of the art", it was
the first system to bring a visual (iconic, nontextual) user interface
into wide usage--into a personal computer class machine.  The usage
style of computers has been greatly changed as a result.

	Is NeXT a comparable revolutionary system for the early-1990's?
I guess we'll see in a few years.

In article <13148@oberon.USC.EDU> tli@sargas.usc.edu (Tony Li) writes:
>In article <471@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (C.Cunningham) writes:
>
>>    	He maintained that the NeXT computer will be a failure because
>>    it not revolutionary enough.  Its only advantage is a short-term
>>    hardware capability/pricing advantage over the other available
>>    UNIX-based workstations.
>
>I recall that Sun Microsystems failed for exactly these same reasons.

There are perhaps two different dimensions of success that I was
talking about:  (1) commercial success and (2) having a revolutionary
impact on computing.  Undoubtedly Sun is a commercial success.
Perhaps Sun could also be could be considered revolutionary as well.
(My historical knowledge may be faulty here.) Sun was the first
company to adopt a industry-standard, open systems approach as the
organizing principle for its product line.  Sun's success at this
changed the industry considerably--other vendors are being pushed to
varying extents toward that approach.

But Sun's revolution began several years ago.  Another company
taking the same approach today probably wouldn't be revolutionary even
if they have some measure of commercial success.

Is NeXT revolutionary?  Will NeXT change the computing in some
significant way?

In article <4391@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
> ...Basically, the
>issue for `revolutionariness' is not the operating system, but the under-
>lying physical architecture. ...
>It's clear that the leverage we need for truly revolutionary applications
>comes from massively parallel systems, either loosely coupled (in a network)
>or tightly coupled (e.g., Transputers or the Connection Machine).  ...

	I have no disagreement that wide-scale availability and usage of
massive parallelism is one of the potential revolutions somewhere over
the horizon. Innovative computer and communications architectures and
designs must play a big part in that revolution.  However, without
devising new ways to exploit the parallelism on a wide-range of
problems, all the fancy parallel hardware won't be so revolutionary.
The revolution will be as much--maybe moreso--a "software" revolution
than a "hardware" revolution.  New languages, operating systems,
tools, theories, methodologies, algorithms, and/or techniques are
needed.  (Of course, my biases as a researcher in concurrent
programming languages may be showing thru here. :-)  Will the sudden
advent of group of ideas cause rapid change in computing?  Or will the
change be more multifaceted and evolutionary?

>On the other hand, even a machine as bourgeois as the IBM PC can wreak
>revolutionary changes in its users.

Maybe.  My use of revolution is more from a cultural/social/economic
perspective than a purely technological one.  From that perspective
the introduction of the relatively inexpensive personal computer was
revolutionary.  I don't think I would consider the IBM PC as a
revolutionary product however.  It wasn't one of the first successful
products in that category.

>What NeXT claims to have done (the proof will be in the pudding), is to
>produce a state-of-the-art workstation for a lower price than others will
>charge.

I have no problem with that.  I tend to doubt that there will be much
of a price advantage by the time they start shipping in quantity
though.  I imagine that Sun, Apple, and other companies will respond
with price adjustments and new products in the "next" few months.
I tend to think that the success of NeXT depends more upon the
appeal of the overall package (NextStep, sound-support, the optical
disk, bundled software, Mach, reliability, Objective C, etc.) than upon
price.

But I am disappointed that it came out costing nearly twice what I had
been hearing.  If I could have bought one for US$3500, I might have
bought one to take home.  Oh, well.

>... NeXT seems to believe that
>if one can put a machine of this sort on peoples' desks, they will do
>interesting things with it.

To some extent Jobs has bet his company on college "hackers."  The
approach worked by accident with UNIX.  It was somewhat successful by
intention with the Macintosh.  Maybe it'll work with the NeXT cube, too.

If they can put lots of machines into environments and application
areas which have not been greatly touched by computers as yet, then
they can be considered revolutionary.

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (11/01/88)

In article <354@auspex.UUCP>, guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> >He sees the NeXT as trying to impose a visual, object-oriented overlay
> >("a Smalltalk-like environment") onto a text-oriented UNIX base.
> >These he contended are incompatible notions--they mix like "oil and
> >water."  The UNIX base insures that the visual and sound-oriented
> >capabilities can't be used in any truly revolutionary way.
>
> 1) What does he mean by "a text-oriented UNIX base"?  What is the "UNIX
>    base"?
>
>    Does he mean what small set of routines you might think of as "user
>    interface" routines are in the OS intrinsics set?  Well, the NeXT
>    machine comes with a window system toolkit, just like the Mac, so
>    you're not stuck with "printf".

Umm.... is that windowing toolkit part of Mach or does it just exist
in that fancy interface?

To get back to the previous poster's comment about Unix being
text-oriented...  weren't the tty driver, sh and csh all written with
ttys in mind?  "Okay, you say ... we just remove the sh and csh and
tty driver and replace them with a new kind of interface that handles
mice and bitmapped screens, but keep the kernel relatively intact."

Sounds good.  Is this what NeXT is doing or are they going the route
of Sun Microsystems, where every window interface they've built so far
was built to run on top of the shell?  Kindof a kludge if you ask me.
What NeXT and the world needs is a true windowing shell to replace the
tty-style shells.

Also, if mice and bitmapped screens had been around in those days,
then Unix might have seen lightweight processes a lot earlier to
support those more intelligence and complex interfaces.

> The main potential difference I see is that the Mac has zillions more
> applications than the NeXT box *currently* has.  However, I don't see
> that UNIX makes it impossible to write the same kind of applications,

Hey... remember the first Macintosh?  The big problem was that there
were virtually NO applications for the machine.  No one wanted to
write any for a machine that was aimed "for the rest of us" with Big
Blue already well entrenched.

There are few windowing applications for Unix perhaps because the Unix
kernel doesn't support a standard interface.  Vendors would have to
either package their own windowing systems with the applications or
sell their own windowing systems and hope someone adopts them.  Maybe
even turn it into a standard like Adobe's Postscript.

> and UNIX+NeXTStEP may end up making it easier to write them than the Mac
> OS/Toolbox does.

From Unix or the smalltalk interface?  NeXT hasn't shown us anything
much beyond the pressurized gas cylinder demo.

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

Shar and Enjoy!

baker@necbsd.NEC.COM (L. BAKER) (11/01/88)

From article <471@wucs1.wustl.edu>, by conrad (H. Conrad Cunningham):
> 	He maintained that the NeXT computer will be a failure because
> it not revolutionary enough.  Its only advantage is a short-term
> hardware capability/pricing advantage over the other available
> UNIX-based workstations.

1)  I think that, as with everything else that costs people money,
    the market will decide.  The "visual interface" as a simple,
    easy solution "for the rest of us" was highly successful for the
    Macintosh;  I see no reason why it cannot do the same thing for
    Unix/NeXT.

    The market they capture may not end up being the "typical workstation
    users," e.g. engineers, CS/technical people, but then the market for the
    Macintosh turned out to be a *bunch* of people who'd never considered
    buying a computer in the first place.  Which was exactly what they
    planned for it in the first place (Lisa flames notwithstanding).
    I think that Jobs & Co. have come up with a similar product, with
    a similarly untouched target market.

    Part of what I find facinating about the NeXT machine is that it is so
    obviously aimed at an interdiciplineary audience; consider the
    combination of reasonable graphics, high-quality music generation and
    reproduction, high-quality printing capability, powerful tools for
    manipulating text databases, a bunch of standard databases obviously
    targeted for *nontechnical* writing, a so-called "visual" (read: easy)
    interface ... the thing sounds like "the computer for the Liberal
    Arts Major"

    In direct answer to the criticisim that "Its only advantage is a
    short-term hardware capability/pricing advantage over the other
    available UNIX-based workstations," I think that the same comment
    could have been/was made about the Macintosh, and it is clearly
    a success.  Similar to the Mac, NeXT brings together things that
    have never *all* been present in any single product on the market,
    though they have been available scattered piecemeal across the
    industry's various product lines for years.

LEB
--
Larry Baker, NEC America Switching Systems Division, Dallas TX
Uucp:     {harvard, ames}!cs!necssd!baker

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/02/88)

>>1) What does he mean by "a text-oriented UNIX base"?  What is the "UNIX
>>   base"?
>	NeXT uses Mach; Mach is essentially UNIX.  UNIX's primary view
>of the world is one-dimensional:  files as streams of bytes (mostly
>textual) and textual user interfaces (as text files or user
>interactions).

The first part is irrelevant.  I know of few, if any, systems that
*don't* ultimately have files that are streams of bytes (or, perhaps,
streams of disk blocks).  You can implement whatever file structure you
want atop that, if you think the file structure is what's important.

The second part is just a description of one class of applications that
run under UNIX.  Other types of applications exist as well; there's
nothing about the UNIX intrinsics that *requires* you to do this.

>The simplicity and portability of this view is one of the reasons for
>UNIX's success.  (Along with the fact that AT&T made the sources
>available to universities and research institutions very cheaply--at
>least in the early days.)  UNIX is good example of 1970's technology.

Umm, I've seen little evidence that a preference for text files had much
to do with UNIX's success in the marketplace.  That isn't what made UNIX
portable, and the widespread availability of UNIX and its portability
probably were the major contributors to its success.

>>2) How does he consider these notions "incompatible"?  I had the
>>   impression that the Mac's moral equivalent of the UNIX OS intrinsics
>
>	Trying to build systems which integrate two- (or three-) dimensional
>and/or multisensory (e.g., sound as well as sight) concepts on top of
>an inherently one-dimensional, textual environment probably result in a
>non-standard kludge.  For consistency, the basic operating environment
>should be built with such concepts assumed as basic elements.

The UNIX environment is not "inherently one-dimensional" and "textual".
Period.  The user interfaces supplied with most UNIX systems may be, but
the underlying OS doesn't require that.

And what do you mean by "basic elements"?  The NeXT machine (and more
and more other UNIX machines, these days) offer various tookits for
constructing at least two-dimensional visual user interfaces; whether
they're considered "part of the operating system" or "part of the window
system" is irrelevant.  They're present, and that's what counts.

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (11/02/88)

In article <485@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.UUCP (H. Conrad Cunningham) writes:
>To some extent Jobs has bet his company on college "hackers."  The
>approach worked by accident with UNIX.  It was somewhat successful by
>intention with the Macintosh.  Maybe it'll work with the NeXT cube, too.

  From what I heard Jobs has people working above the "college hacker" level.
Also college hackers aren't necessarily bad.  I also would give the
Macintosh a little more than "successful by intention".  After all there are
more Mac II's than sun workstations out there {according to MacUser a biased
source I'll grant you}.

  The scuttle but going around the valley is that Jobs looked for and got
some of the best people in the industry to work for him, many people took
significant pay cut's as well, just to be able to work on such a machine.

  Also I'd be willing to bet that Kernighan & Ricthe {sp??} would object to
being called "college hackers".  Lets try and pull out of the "it's from
Jobs, therefore I'm not allowed to like it mode."
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/02/88)

>>    Does he mean what small set of routines you might think of as "user
>>    interface" routines are in the OS intrinsics set?  Well, the NeXT
>>    machine comes with a window system toolkit, just like the Mac, so
>>    you're not stuck with "printf".
>
>Umm.... is that windowing toolkit part of Mach or does it just exist
>in that fancy interface?

Who cares?  If I can write programs that use it, I don't give a damn
what the name of the library is.  It's probably not part of the Mach
*kernel* (i.e., the part running in privileged mode, and probably wired
down), which is a Good Thing.

>To get back to the previous poster's comment about Unix being
>text-oriented...  weren't the tty driver, sh and csh all written with
>ttys in mind?  "Okay, you say ... we just remove the sh and csh and
>tty driver and replace them with a new kind of interface that handles
>mice and bitmapped screens, but keep the kernel relatively intact."
>
>Sounds good.  Is this what NeXT is doing or are they going the route
>of Sun Microsystems, where every window interface they've built so far
>was built to run on top of the shell?  Kindof a kludge if you ask me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "to run on top of the shell".  If you mean
"you can run them from the shell, yeah, but so what?  "shelltool" and
"cmdtool" are NOT the only window system tools that come on Suns.  The
Network Software Environment (or whatever it's called) has a graphic
interface; it also has a command-line interface for people who don't
like graphic interfaces.

There are also other applications available for Suns - and other
workstations - with graphic interfaces.

>What NeXT and the world needs is a true windowing shell to replace the
>tty-style shells.

Yes, that might be nice, although "replace" is wrong; try "supplement".
I don't know that anybody's constructed a graphical shell that *all*
users of the more traditional user interfaces would consider an adequate
replacement.  (As I understand it, various Xerox workstations have had
command-line interfaces, at least in the development environments used
inside Xerox.)

>Also, if mice and bitmapped screens had been around in those days,
>then Unix might have seen lightweight processes a lot earlier to
>support those more intelligence and complex interfaces.

So?  Does the Mac have lightweight processes?  Yes, they're nice to have
(BTW, Mach has them), but I don't know that they're a *prerequisite*.

>> The main potential difference I see is that the Mac has zillions more
>> applications than the NeXT box *currently* has.  However, I don't see
>> that UNIX makes it impossible to write the same kind of applications,
>
>Hey... remember the first Macintosh?  The big problem was that there
>were virtually NO applications for the machine.  No one wanted to
>write any for a machine that was aimed "for the rest of us" with Big
>Blue already well entrenched.

Umm, Big Blue's machine didn't have boatloads of applications when it
first came out, either.  I don't see the point you're trying to make here.

>There are few windowing applications for Unix perhaps because the Unix
>kernel doesn't support a standard interface.

The fact that "the UNIX kernel" - by which you presumably mean "the lump
of code stored in files with names like "/unix", "/vmunix", etc. -
doesn't have a standard window system interface is a Good Thing.  That
stuff tends to be wired down, and is harder to replace and harder to
debug than user-mode code.

>Vendors would have to either package their own windowing systems with
>the applications or sell their own windowing systems and hope someone
>adopts them.

You mean like e.g. X11?  I think it stands a chance of becoming a
standard part of most UNIX offerings.

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (11/02/88)

From: conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham)
>In article <4391@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
>> ...Basically, the
>>issue for `revolutionariness' is not the operating system, but the under-
>>lying physical architecture. ...
>>It's clear that the leverage we need for truly revolutionary applications
>>comes from massively parallel systems, either loosely coupled (in a network)
>>or tightly coupled (e.g., Transputers or the Connection Machine).  ...
>
>	I have no disagreement that wide-scale availability and usage of
>massive parallelism is one of the potential revolutions somewhere over
>the horizon. Innovative computer and communications architectures and
>designs must play a big part in that revolution.  However, without
>devising new ways to exploit the parallelism on a wide-range of
>problems, all the fancy parallel hardware won't be so revolutionary.
>The revolution will be as much--maybe moreso--a "software" revolution
>than a "hardware" revolution.  New languages, operating systems,
>tools, theories, methodologies, algorithms, and/or techniques are
>needed.

First off, consider the company I work for (and also note I was saying
the same as I am about to say before I came here a few months ago,
don't confuse cause and effect.)

The problem with both of the above comments is that they are making
the "best" the enemy of the "good".

I have no doubt that all of the above coming true will make massive
parallelism more useful, but to some extent this whole line of
reasoning is a thought virus, something which infects your thinking
about a new idea and renders your thoughts nearly useless.

Non-massive parallelism is here *today* in completely useful
packaging.  Why does something as simple as knowing that while your
compile is running in the background your foreground is running on a
different CPU so response remains flat. Also, with several CPUs,
things like compiles of lots of files can speed up at least linearly
(at least seems odd until you realize how efficiently the buffer
caches and shared text segments can get used during parallel compiles,
they're not only cpu bound but use a lot of disk resources as well.)

Also, traditional unix pipes like:

	lastcomm | sed mumble | sort -u | wc -l

will run in parallel on 4 (in this case) CPUs.

There are a lot of other examples, like I said, don't make the best
the enemy of the good and say "Ah, computers are useless, no one has
even solved the halting problem yet!" which is what a lot of this
moaning and groaning sounds like.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

wald-david@CS.YALE.EDU (david wald) (11/02/88)

In article <484@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.UUCP (H. Conrad Cunningham) writes:
>In article <13148@oberon.USC.EDU> tli@sargas.usc.edu (Tony Li) writes:
>>In article <471@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (C.Cunningham) writes:
>>>    He maintained that the NeXT computer will be a failure because
>>>    it not revolutionary enough.  Its only advantage is a short-term
>>>    hardware capability/pricing advantage over the other available
>>>    UNIX-based workstations.
>>
>>I recall that Sun Microsystems failed for exactly these same reasons.
>
>There are perhaps two different dimensions of success that I was
>talking about:  (1) commercial success and (2) having a revolutionary
>impact on computing...
>But Sun's revolution began several years ago.  Another company
>taking the same approach today probably wouldn't be revolutionary even
>if they have some measure of commercial success.
>
>Is NeXT revolutionary?  Will NeXT change the computing in some
>significant way?

But the original statement was that the NeXT machine "will be a failure
because it is not revolutionary enough."  What does it mean for the
computer to fail?  Does it mean that the computer will not be a
commercial success (which was my original interpretation), or that it
will not "change computing in some significant way?" Revolutionary
enough for what?

David Wald                                              wald-david@yale.UUCP
						       waldave@yalevm.bitnet

manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (11/03/88)

In article <4069@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>There are a lot of other examples, like I said, don't make the best
>the enemy of the good and say "Ah, computers are useless, no one has
>even solved the halting problem yet!" which is what a lot of this
>moaning and groaning sounds like.

I have a great deal of respect for Barry, but I think he's under a
misapprehension about my original remarks. Basically, what I intended
to say is that the NeXT machine doesn't seem tremendously technologically
revolutionary (though definitely nice). It will, however, reach an
audience which has never had access to this sort of heavy-duty computing
capability before. What they'll do with it I don't know, but it will
certainly bear watching.

The PC is an excellent example of this sort of thing. When the PC was
released in 1981, the dominant machine was the Apple ][. This machine,
however, had the cachet of being a toy (you could play games on it).
The PC was marketed as a serious business computer, though it was in
fact a glorified Apple ][ (it even had a cassette port). Suddenly,
a lot of people had PC's on their desks, and they started using them
for all kinds of applications.

Technologically, the PC is boring. However, its wide availability led
to all kinds of applications being developed, and to a tremendous lowering
of prices. The PC led to increased credibility of microcomputers, and
therefore set the stage for the Mac (itself a revolutionary machine).

I don't know whether the NeXT machine will be revolutionary in this sense.
A lot will depend upon the fortunes of the company, and how their customers
use the machine. I do however wish them well.

In article <7092@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>What NeXT and the world needs is a true windowing shell to replace the
>tty-style shells.

"Replace"?  How do you propose to replace the shell's programmability with
a windowing shell?  That's been the big stumbling block in the past.  As
far as I know it's an unsolved problem.  It's easy enough to build something
that will suffice for most interactive use; making it useful for shell
programming is orders of magnitude harder.

>Also, if mice and bitmapped screens had been around in those days,
>then Unix might have seen lightweight processes a lot earlier to
>support those more intelligence and complex interfaces.

By previous standards, Unix processes *are* lightweight!
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (11/04/88)

I agree with Vincent's apprehensions.

What would probably be revolutionary would be an inexpensive home
computer who's forte is setting up home-brew usenet/e-mail links
between households. Something like an Atari/ST or PC/Klone with a
2400b modem and a 100MB disk with a "just pick a site name and a
neighbor" software set-up. It doesn't have to be fast. It could
probably be done for around $2000 list or less. Centralized service
machines could then be built around this. I suppose FIDOnet was an
attempt at that, perhaps someone from that culture could comment on
its current status? The important distinction from services like
CompuServe is that a significant amount of the computing would go on
in the households.

What do other people think would be revolutionary in a personal
computer?

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/05/88)

In article <1988Nov3.192722.647@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <7092@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>>What NeXT and the world needs is a true windowing shell to replace
>>the tty-style shells.
>
>"Replace"?  How do you propose to replace the shell's programmability
>with a windowing shell?  That's been the big stumbling block in the
>past.  As far as I know it's an unsolved problem.

The programmability issue may be better addressed by some of the work
on visual metaphors for programming constructs, like pipes that are
drawn on the screen as pipes, with tees and valves and everything.
Dataflow programming (like on the Evans & Sutherland PS300 of yore)
has always been easier with a graphical editor (like PIGS) to move
functional units and interconnections hither and yon.

Perhaps NeXT will provide a rich enough prototyping environment that
some of this sort of thing will someday come to the UNIX masses.  It
would be hard to draw a picture to represent some of the convoluted
logic in some of the uglier shell scripts around.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Being a BALD HERO is almost as FESTIVE as a TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (11/05/88)

In article <4090@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>I agree with Vincent's apprehensions.
>
>What would probably be revolutionary would be an inexpensive home
>computer who's forte is setting up home-brew usenet/e-mail links
>between households. Something like an Atari/ST or PC/Klone with a
>2400b modem and a 100MB disk with a "just pick a site name and a
>neighbor" software set-up. It doesn't have to be fast. It could
>probably be done for around $2000 list or less. Centralized service
>machines could then be built around this. I suppose FIDOnet was an
>attempt at that [ material omitted ]
>
>What do other people think would be revolutionary in a personal
>computer?
>
>	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

Fidonet *is* sort of an attempt at that, and it does work OK. There
are circa 4500 Fidonet nodes at this time; largely in the US, but with
significant membership in Canada, Holland, and Australia as well.
Fidonet has its problems, primarily because of a rather loose mail
identification scheme which causes messages to be much longer than
they need to be (Fidonet messages get SEENBY lines attached as they
pass around the net, so they get ever larger) and because someone has
to compile a master nodelist. This task is handled by the
International FidoNet Association (IFNA) and the nodelist is updated
weekly. Unfortunately only about 7 percent of Fidonet sysops are
members (pay the $25 yearly dues), so there is a kind of suppressed
irritation on the part of the IFNA board of directors toward those who
do not contribute but want to use the nodelist. This sporadically
breaks into running battles and schisms; currently there are several
other Fidonet-compatible networks operating. This fragmentation is
hurting the ideal goal of direct convenient access between systems.
   I don't know what you would consider revolutionary about Fidonet
*other* than the concept. A revised mailing system, necessarily
incompatible with the current system, is the likely answer as far as
personal computer networks. Possibly something like the UFGATE
software which bridges the gap between UUCP systems and Fidonet
systems is on the right track. Using it, personal computers can behave
like UUCP addresses, and still access Fidonet as well. I will be
trying this out myself.
   Getting back to the NeXT, given appropriate software and a color
board, I think the NeXT is the ideal personal system. It could be the
beginning of the use of visual interfaces for inter-computer
communications; this conjures up cyberpunk concepts, ala William
Gibson's _Neuromancer_. I have to agree that for a home computer to
reach its potential it must radically open up information access to
the user. I think most of the necessary hardware is in place, although
if a lot of imaging information starts flooding the telephone system
at 9600 bps or better you will quickly realize that the communications
infrastructure is the real bottleneck.

  -lar

 Lar Kaufman   <= my opinions    /*  Now speaking to you from the   */
                                 /* virtual center of the universe. */
 Fidonet: 1:322/470@508-534-1842
 kaufman@multimax.arpa    {bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!kaufman

In article <4090@encore.UUCP>, bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
> What do other people think would be revolutionary in a personal
> computer?

How about fast TV-quality graphics, hi-fi sound, a real-time multitasking
operating system that's actually easy to use, NTSC-compatible output, a decent
CPU (non-segmented with a large address space), for around $1000?

This would make it a great game machine, of course, but it'd be more than that.

With the graphics and a CPU capable of directly addressing a lot of large
bitmaps it'd make a great animation/video machine. With the hi-fi sound you
could accompany them with music.

With multitasking Usenet support would be relatively easy. You couldn't easily
make it totally UNIX-compatible since fork() requires an MMU to run at a
decent speed, but decent stdio support and the ability to build real pipelines
would make a decent sh-clone work well enough.

People's recent fascination with integrated applications would fade in the
face of an integrated environment.

It'd be... a baby NeXT.

Nah... that can't be revolutionary. After all, it's already been done. And it's
not taken over the market. I guess technical excellence just isn't that
important after all.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"     uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (11/05/88)

From: bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein)
>What would probably be revolutionary would be an inexpensive home
>computer who's forte is setting up home-brew usenet/e-mail links
>between households.

Er, after that computer worm which just hit the Internet perhaps I
should reconsider that...

"You can always spot the pioneers, they're the ones with the arrows in
their backs!" -- ???

	-Barry Shein

sac@well.UUCP (Steve Cisler) (11/07/88)

Barry,
I think that you described a platform that is revolutionary
once it becomes easier to administer distributed systems such
as Usenet or Fidonet (which is doing quite well, in terms of sites
but the internal politics has been stressful).  I'd guess that the
386 boxes in late '89 will be easier to run.

Though it runs on a Mac, Harry Chesley's HyperBBS was the
kind of easy-to-use system (setup time: 45 minutes+-) that
could spread everywhere, assuming Mac prices were lower.
The comms toolbox for the Mac os should give us ease-of-use
for EZ networking software, but the prices won't be as low as
386 clones which will be the backbone of most grass roots
efforts.
Steve Cisler
Connect: Libraries & Telecommunications
Box 992, Cupertino, CA 95015
(408) 973 3258

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (11/09/88)

In article <4429@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
> In article <4069@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
> >There are a lot of other examples, like I said, don't make the best
> >the enemy of the good and say "Ah, computers are useless, no one has
> >even solved the halting problem yet!" which is what a lot of this
> >moaning and groaning sounds like.
>
> I don't know whether the NeXT machine will be revolutionary in this sense.
> A lot will depend upon the fortunes of the company, and how their customers
> use the machine. I do however wish them well.
>
> ____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca

Something on NeXT that I have seen so I'll say it:

Note that Apple's successes (and therefore arguably Job's) have not been
from the rev I machines.  Every see an Apple I or even an Apple II?  No,
the real success was the Apple II+ (which is still being sold in a slightly
different form today.)  Similarly the Mac was an anemic toy when first
released:  tiny little B&W screen with 128K memory with no possibility of
expansion.  I was really the MAC II that made the Mac viable for anyone who
needs a real machine.

I have no reason to doubt that this machine for "academia" is just the
Apple I for NeXT.  Its the NeXT II+ that I'm waiting for:  the machine
for the rest of us.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (11/09/88)

>In article <4429@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:

>Note that Apple's successes (and therefore arguably Job's) have not been
>from the rev I machines.  Every see an Apple I or even an Apple II?  No,
>the real success was the Apple II+ (which is still being sold in a slightly
>different form today.)  Similarly the Mac was an anemic toy when first
>released:  tiny little B&W screen with 128K memory with no possibility of
>expansion.  I was really the MAC II that made the Mac viable for anyone who
                              ^^^^^^
>needs a real machine.
>I have no reason to doubt that this machine for "academia" is just the
>Apple I for NeXT.  Its the NeXT II+ that I'm waiting for:  the machine
                            ^^^^^^^^
>for the rest of us.

Just for historical accuracy, it was the mac+ with 1mb, hardisk port, and
updated ROMS, that push the MAC into the "real"machine catagory.

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy T. Beagle) (11/10/88)

In article <4069@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:

|The problem with both of the above comments is that they are making
|the "best" the enemy of the "good".

On the other hand, one needs to be careful and not mistake some handy
piece of garbage for "good" and make it the enemy of the truely good.
There is altogether too much of that happening.  The trick is to determine
what one can accomplish, avoiding both the over-optimistic blue-sky ideas
and the under-optimistic stuck-in-the-mud ones.

I suspect that there are a lot of Jobs worshippers out there, who were
expecting something more than what he is delivering.  NeXT *is* a nice
step forwards.  It is not perfect.  There are things I would have done
differently.  If nothing else, "NeXT" is painful to type, and is ugly
to boot. :-)
    _____
   /_____\    sn00py
  /_______\
    |___|     tektronix!tekecs!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy

clp@beartrk.UUCP (Charlie Pilzer) (11/10/88)

>In article <4429@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
> Its the NeXT II+ that I'm waiting for:  the machine for the rest of us.

Will the 'NeXT I' name be changed to the PReVIOUS? :-)

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (11/20/88)

>> I have no reason to doubt that this machine for "academia" is just the
>> Apple I for NeXT.  Its the NeXT II+ that I'm waiting for:  the machine
>> for the rest of us.

Can anyone at NeXT comment on their plans for future machines if any?