[comp.sys.next] two passes to write file?

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (11/08/88)

In article <4301@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, zimerman@phoenix (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:

|...okay, ignorant question here...I read earlier on that during writes,
|the optidrive does TWO passes, one to zero the fields, and one to write
|in the 'one' state bits.  Now, since it has to do two passes and needs
|to therefore know how big the files is gonna be, can it handle real-time
|contintuous 16-bit input? Or will its having to go back twice choke it
|up?  Could a rountine be written that used the main RAM as a buffer
|while it was doing its double write?  Would it be fast enough to get
|everything written to disc AND 'catch up' before the RAM was consumed?

I believe that the concept of "file" is unknown at the level you
are concerned with.  The disk will do passes for each *block* it
writes to disk.  In essence, this is two passes per file, but happens
much differently.  From a user level, this is no different than
any other disk, although perhaps a bit slower, since each block
requires two passes to be written.

Mark D. Nagel
  UC Irvine - Dept of Info and Comp Sci | The probability of someone
  nagel@ics.uci.edu             (ARPA)  | watching you is proportional to
  {sdcsvax|ucbvax}!ucivax!nagel (UUCP)  | the stupidity of your action.

jdi@camelot..Berkeley.EDU (John Irwin) (11/20/88)

In article <900@paris.ics.uci.edu> nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
+In article <4301@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, zimerman@phoenix (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
++
++...okay, ignorant question here...I read earlier on that during writes,
++the optidrive does TWO passes, one to zero the fields, and one to write
++in the 'one' state bits.  Now, since it has to do two passes and needs
++...
+
+...
+are concerned with.  The disk will do passes for each *block* it
+writes to disk.
+...

Actually I heard from a very reliable source that it takes three passes to
write a block.  Thus reading is three times as fast as writing.  The source
also quoted the read speed as being something close to 900kB/s.  (using the
new nomenclature :-)

	-- John

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (11/21/88)

>Actually I heard from a very reliable source that it takes three passes to
>write a block.  Thus reading is three times as fast as writing.  The source
>also quoted the read speed as being something close to 900kB/s.  (using the
>new nomenclature :-)

Yep, it takes one to erase, one to write, and one to verify; however, the erase
is done when the machine isn't doing anything else, so it only takes two when
the time comes to write, usually.

								Ron

norm@cfctech.UUCP (Norm Meluch) (11/23/88)

In article <7609@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
  (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>>Actually I heard from a very reliable source that it takes three passes to
>>write a block.
>
>Yep, it takes one to erase, one to write, and one to verify; however, the erase
>is done when the machine isn't doing anything else....

Does this mean that a "DET" (disk erasure table) is kept somewhere on the
disk to donote where the computer has had the spare time to erase, or is
a FOURTH pass necessary to check that the area that the computer is about to
write on is clear?