[comp.sys.next] sendmail security

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/23/88)

In article <7528@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kean@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kean Stump) writes:
>Would someone who has a NeXT check to see if the 0.8 release has the
>(ahem) recent security patches to sendmail/ftpd/fingerd implemented ?
>(Or, you can tell me the name/internet # of you machine and I'll
>check 8}}}})

 1:34pm> telnet next.com smtp
 Trying 129.18.1.2 ...
 Connected to next.com.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 220 NeXT.COM Sendmail 4.0/NeXT0.3-Aleph ready at Tue, 22 Nov 88 10:37:56 PST
 debug
 500 Command unrecognized
 DEBUG
 500 Command unrecognized
 quit
 221 NeXT.COM closing connection
 Connection closed by foreign host.
 1:35pm>

It appears that that hole may have been plugged since as early as 0.3.

chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (11/23/88)

In article <28193@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <7528@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kean@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kean Stump) writes:
>>Would someone who has a NeXT check to see if the 0.8 release has the
>>(ahem) recent security patches to sendmail/ftpd/fingerd implemented ?
>>(Or, you can tell me the name/internet # of you machine and I'll
>>check 8}}}})
>
>It appears that that hole may have been plugged since as early as 0.3.

It's not clear that NeXT's internet machine is actually a NeXT
machine.  The machine at 129.18.1.2 claims to run 4.2bsd, so
I'd wager that it's a VAX or somesuch.

NeXT.COM doesn't accept connections on TCP port 79, so I doubt
that there's a problem with their fingerd.

Marty

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (11/24/88)

In article <28193@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <7528@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kean@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kean Stump) writes:
>>Would someone who has a NeXT check to see if the 0.8 release has the
>>(ahem) recent security patches to sendmail/ftpd/fingerd implemented ?
>
> . . .
>
>It appears that that hole may have been plugged since as early as 0.3.

Steve Jobs came to talk a the Nov. 17 meeting of the Berkeley Macintosh Users
Group, and he said that when the virus/worm was going around the network,
NeXT got the infection and it kept them busy for a while cleaning it up.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

kean@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kean Stump) (11/24/88)

NeXT.com runs a sun 3/280 as their nameserver; I don't know about their
mail server.  sunset.next.com is the 280.

kean
Oregon State University                          Kean Stump
Department of Computer Science                   kean@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, Oregon                               {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!kean
"OSU CS isn't my employer, so don't take me seriously"