[comp.sys.next] color fonts

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (12/01/88)

In article <844@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <3399@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>>All true, but this does not bely the fact that a Macintosh II can, indeed
>>support colour fonts.  I have yet to see anyone use such, but the support
>>is all there and well-documented in Inside Macintosh volume 5.  Has anyone
>>else out there seen a colour Mac II font?  If not, where are they?
>There was even one called "Stars and Stripes" or something that was
>red, white, and blue (i.e., the top half was red, the middle white,
>and the bottom blue).  Very neat.
>Anit-aliasing is easily done this way, and I would assume that that
>was part of the reason for putting in color support in the first place.
>The anti-aliased fonts I saw on the Mac II were stunning.
>
>I don't know how to get a hold of these fonts, but I could find out
>if others are interested (it's been a while since I saw them).

I am very interested in finding out why there so little information about
anti-aliased fonts.  It seems that the mac is the perfect for bringing this
useful technology to the public.  Are there ways to make anti-aliased fonts and
use them in regulur applications for the mac?  I think that the recent
OS releases havent helped the user in commonplace activities ,
we need enhancements such as: better clipboard, better font support,
inter-app communication, etc.).

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (12/01/88)

In article <19493@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>In article <844@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>In article <3399@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>>>All true, but this does not bely the fact that a Macintosh II can, indeed
>>>support colour fonts.  I have yet to see anyone use such, but the support
>>>is all there and well-documented in Inside Macintosh volume 5.  Has anyone
>>>else out there seen a colour Mac II font?  If not, where are they?
>>There was even one called "Stars and Stripes" or something that was
>>red, white, and blue (i.e., the top half was red, the middle white,
>>and the bottom blue).  Very neat.
>>Anit-aliasing is easily done this way, and I would assume that that
>>was part of the reason for putting in color support in the first place.
>>The anti-aliased fonts I saw on the Mac II were stunning.
>>
>>I don't know how to get a hold of these fonts, but I could find out
>>if others are interested (it's been a while since I saw them).
>

>I am very interested in finding out why there so little information about
>anti-aliased fonts.  It seems that the mac is the perfect for bringing this
>useful technology to the public.  Are there ways to make anti-aliased fonts and
>use them in regulur applications for the mac?  I think that the recent
>OS releases havent helped the user in commonplace activities ,
>we need enhancements such as: better clipboard, better font support,
>inter-app communication, etc.).

>Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
>mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
>"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

   I have a set of these fonts (the one mentioned above is called patriot)
also vice, shadow, and one more. Unfortunately, there is no documentation
with them -- I dont know if they are OK to send to comp.bin.mac. If any can
tell me, I'll gladly submit them.

   A few notes:

	1. They dont scale well (read  at all). The problem is that they are
           in some weird sizes (27 pt) that most programs dont recognize. They
	   do seem to work well with MS Word.

	2. They use a lot of memory.

			Mike Bell
			bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu