[comp.sys.next] colour fonts

rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (11/09/88)

but later, Kent said:
|I am told the color Apple is not a font.  I got 2 pieces of mail
|telling me that (1) it is an icon that (2) is hardcoded from an MBar
|procedure.

All true, but this does not bely the fact that a Macintosh II can, indeed
support colour fonts.  I have yet to see anyone use such, but the support
is all there and well-documented in Inside Macintosh volume 5.  Has anyone
else out there seen a colour Mac II font?  If not, where are they?

Reid
--
Reid Ellis  +1 416 446 1644  geaclib!rae@geac.uucp

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (11/27/88)

In article <3399@geaclib.UUCP>, rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
> All true, but this does not bely the fact that a Macintosh II can, indeed
> support colour fonts.

The Amiga supports color fonts just fine, too. It's a third-party product,
which is consistent with the "component-stereo" nature of the Amiga operating
system software.
--
		    Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		     Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	          Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn busines#!rne

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (11/30/88)

In article <3399@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>All true, but this does not bely the fact that a Macintosh II can, indeed
>support colour fonts.  I have yet to see anyone use such, but the support
>is all there and well-documented in Inside Macintosh volume 5.  Has anyone
>else out there seen a colour Mac II font?  If not, where are they?

I've seen them, and although I can't imagine what use they really are,
they sure look pretty.

There was even one called "Stars and Stripes" or something that was
red, white, and blue (i.e., the top half was red, the middle white,
and the bottom blue).  Very neat.

Anit-aliasing is easily done this way, and I would assume that that
was part of the reason for putting in color support in the first place.
The anti-aliased fonts I saw on the Mac II were stunning.

I don't know how to get a hold of these fonts, but I could find out
if others are interested (it's been a while since I saw them).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (12/01/88)

<< this really should be on comp.sys.mac >>

Colour Fonts are available from Compuserve, among other places.

Should also be available from Sumex, but I haven't checked.

The only word processor that properly deals with them is Microsoft Word...
others choke in one way or another when attempting to deal with them.

neat stuff.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

There are at least 4 different ones available... none are anti-aliased, though.
Just flashy graphics type things.