[comp.sys.next] Mach and mapped files

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (12/03/88)

In article <554@auspex.UUCP>, guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> >System V extensions could be added to Mach.
>
> Including the S5R4 "mmap" system call, complete with the ability to
> create a shared writable mapping to a file, right?

Not sure.  I don't have S5R4 manuals yet.  Looking at "Architecture-Independent
Virtual Memory Management for Parallel and Distributed Environments: The Mach
Approach" is a bit confusing because it says "In Mach, file mapping is used
for reading data only," (pg. 55) yet examples for mapping a file for writing are
given on page 57.

If BSD 4.3 has this capability, Mach does, because Mach is binary compatible
with 4.3.

Finally, even if this support isn't provided, it appears to me on the basis of
a cursory examination that shared writable file mapping could be implemented
via a "user-provided" backing store object and pager.  Mapped files themselves
are implemented through such a mechanism.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl