[comp.sys.next] Next Software/Magazines

thefool@athena.mit.edu (Michael A. de la Maza) (11/30/88)

1) What software would you like to see ported from other environments to
Next?  What *new* applications would you like to see custom-built for
Next? If you had infinite time/money/resources what kind of software
would you write for the Next box?

2) Is anyone thinking of starting a Next only magazine/newsletter/bboard?

-- Michael de la Maza				thefool@athena.mit.edu

dietz@zhmti.UUCP (Dieter H. Zebbedies) (12/04/88)

In article <8221@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> thefool@athena.mit.edu (Michael A. de la Maza) writes:
>     What *new* applications would you like to see custom-built for
>Next? If you had infinite time/money/resources what kind of software
>would you write for the Next box?

We here at Zebb-Hoff have called a number of times to get developers
information, but haven't got any good answers yet.  We started the
attempt just about a week after the announcement to let all the
``flames'' die out, but till now, just "delays" are the watchword.

Now granted most of the delays may be because of the avalanche of
requests that NeXT has been buried under, but forget about starting
from scratch when those of us that have 4.5 years experience with
Objective-C and have a *nice* geometry class subtree built *already*
and we can't get even paperwork to get online as a developer with
software begging to be put on the NeXT box.

I hope soon, we are very excited about the machine, and its impact on
CAD/CIM, especially if we can convince pixar to get fast rendering for
our modeler...  we already have unbundled the modeler from the
renderer in hopes of Renderman keeping promises (..but how does one
*really* do shading with stencil-paint? ;-)

	Dietz
-----
Dieter H. Zebbedies ('dee-ter  ayech  'zeb-ed-eez)
 Zebb-Hoff Mach. Tool's Automated Manufacturing Project Cleveland, OH
 (USnail): 9535 Clinton Rd, Cleveland, OH 44144 (+216 631 6100) (+216 741 5994)
 (uucp): ...{sun,att,decvax}!cwjcc!zhmti!dietz        voice wk        voice hm
 (domainists): dietz%zhmti.uucp@cwjcc.CWRU.EDU