[comp.sys.next] amusing use of a Sun at NeXT, Inc.

rsm@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (Robert Maier) (11/07/88)

I recently talked to the SMTP server at next.com, NeXT Inc.'s flagship
Internet machine.  The session transcript was as follows.

  onyx$ telnet next.com smtp
  Trying 129.18.1.2 ...
  Connected to next.com.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 NeXT.COM Sendmail 4.0/NeXT0.3-Aleph ready at Mon, 7 Nov 88 14:32:13 PST
  HELP
  214-Commands:
  214-	HELO	MAIL	RCPT	DATA	RSET
  214-	NOOP	QUIT	HELP	VRFY	EXPN
  214-For more info use "HELP <topic>".
  214-smtp
  214-To report bugs in the implementation contact Sun Microsystems
  214-Technical Support.
  214-For local information contact postmaster at this site.
  214 End of HELP info
  QUIT
  221 NeXT.COM closing connection
  Connection closed by foreign host.

To judge by the ``To report bugs in the implementation contact Sun
Microsystems'', they're using a Sun!

Either that or they're poking fun at a competitor.  :-)

--
Robert S. Maier
SNAIL: Dept. of Math.; Univ. of Arizona; Tucson, AZ 85721; USA

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/09/88)

>To judge by the ``To report bugs in the implementation contact Sun
>Microsystems'', they're using a Sun!
>
>Either that or they're poking fun at a competitor.  :-)

Or they're running the "sendmail" from the NFS source distribution, and
haven't bothered fixing "/usr/lib/sendmail.hf" (which is what somebody
claimed was the case).

The real question is "what happens if you type 'debug' at it?" :-)

ram@shukra.Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (11/09/88)

In article <415@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>>To judge by the ``To report bugs in the implementation contact Sun
>>Microsystems'', they're using a Sun!
>>
>>Either that or they're poking fun at a competitor.  :-)
>
>Or they're running the "sendmail" from the NFS source distribution, and
>haven't bothered fixing "/usr/lib/sendmail.hf" (which is what somebody
>claimed was the case).
>
>The real question is "what happens if you type 'debug' at it?" :-)

  "command unrecognized"

  Renu Raman

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (11/09/88)

In article <843@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> rsm@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (Robert Maier) writes:
>I recently talked to the SMTP server at next.com, NeXT Inc.'s flagship
>Internet machine [and it seemed to be a Sun.]

I'm not surprised -- NeXT had to bootstrap from somewhere, and Suns are as good
a place to start as any.  Also, most of us consider our mail gateways to be
slow cruddy machines rather than flagships.  The real question, of course,
is whether their mail server was compiled with the debug flag on.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) (11/29/88)

The gateway machine at next.com IS a Sun. At a demo of the NeXT machine one of
the guys referred to it as their "virus catcher". He also mentioned that the
NextStep user interface began life on Suns (the software guys didn't want to
wait for the hardware guys to get done). Now if NeXT would release a version of
NextStep for Suns those machines would finally be worth something.

Scott Storkel
Macintosh Software Development
Rice University

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/30/88)

In article <709STORKEL@RICE> STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) writes:
>Now if NeXT would release a version of NextStep for Suns...

If they were to release the source to at least the protocol and
toolkit libraries, and the sources to some of their window clients,
then we'd at least be able to knit the NeXT box into an environment of
existing UNIX boxes where people are used to running a client on one
box talking to a server on another.

In a similar vein, yesterday I received literature from Stepstone Inc.
They sell an Objective-C compiler, a "Foundation" class library, an
Objective-C interpreter, and a Graphical User Interface class library.
Various parts of their product line run on Apollos, HP9000-200/300,
Sun-2, Sun-3, VAX/Ultrix, VAX/VMS, and PC-AT.  The UI toolkit pieces
run under some of the vendors' window systems (e.g. DM on Apollos,
native or X10R4 on HPs, SunView on Suns, and X10R4 on Ultrix VAXen).
The compiler seems to run on most everything.  Their University site
license fees seem most reasonable, and include source to everything.
(If only other companies would be so open - sigh...)

They say the develoment environment is getting ported to more
platforms daily - all they need is a good C compiler.  Perhaps an X11
interface is coming soon.  I'd love to play with the Interface Builder
as an X11 application, and see the "bouncing molecules in a cylinder"
demo running on some of the compute engines around here, displaying on
my Sun running X11

I'm just beginning to understand the genealogy of this stuff, I think.
It seems that NeXT licensed Stepstone's development environment, put
it on the Display PostScript backend much as it was already on the X10
and SunView backends, cleaned up the existing classes, and added a few
more.  Then they sold it to IBM to stretch Perot's dollars a bit
further to make it to the ship date :-)

This still doesn't mean that you could use StepStone's stuff to
develop code to run on a Cray that will whisper PostScript in your
NeXT window server's ear.  You'll still need some classes from NeXT to
get the PostScript flying on the wire.  But it's a start.

(Of course, I have no connection with either NeXT or Stepstone, other
than as a very curious inquirer and seeker-after-nifty-stuff.)

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (12/02/88)

In article <709STORKEL@RICE> STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) writes:
>The gateway machine at next.com IS a Sun. At a demo of the NeXT machine one of
>the guys referred to it as their "virus catcher". He also mentioned that the
>NextStep user interface began life on Suns (the software guys didn't want to
>wait for the hardware guys to get done). Now if NeXT would release a version of
>NextStep for Suns those machines would finally be worth something.

If you want a real man's :-) PostScript environment instead of just
this display-only stuff Check out NeWS from sun.  Supposedly NDE (NeWS
Development Environment) , once it hit's the street, will give NextStep
a run for it's money. I think it's the greatest thing since sliced
bread even without NDE and pretty bug free to boot?. I am extremely
glad that NeXT is taking the PostScript Stance as far as window systems
go though, I never could see the appeal in X windows anywhere. Sure it
pioneered the notion of making the window a network service, but in
most other aspects it's just the same 'ol stuff. NoW, If AlL ThEsE
PeoPLE CoulD JuST KeeP THeiR HanDS OfF ThE CapS Key WhEn they make up
ThEsE NameS I'D DiE A HaPPy MaN....

-mike

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/02/88)

In article <24748@wlbr.EATON.COM> mh@wlbr.eaton.com.UUCP (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>PeoPLE CoulD JuST KeeP THeiR HanDS OfF ThE CapS Key WhEn they make up
>ThEsE NameS I'D DiE A HaPPy MaN....

Amen.  I propose that since NeXT obviously doesn't consider the 'e' very
important, that we simply drop it, which gives us "NXT".  Then, just lower
case the rest to make it "nxt".  This is mnemonic enough to make it obvious
what machine we are talking about, without confusing the original nxt machine
with the next nxt machine.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (12/03/88)

Uh, NDE stands for *Networked* Develpment Environment, not *NeWS*
Development Environment...

Jon

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (12/04/88)

In article <5416@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:

 >Uh, NDE stands for *Networked* Develpment Environment, not *NeWS*
 >Development Environment...
 >
 >Jon

Don't "UH" too quickly, I'm  pretty sure NDE is **NeWS** Development
Environment, NOT **Networked** Development Environment**, You're
thinking of Network Software Environment (NSE) which is a something
completely different. Both are products of sun. There will be seminars
on both at the sun users group conference in miami next week.

-mike

knighton@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) (12/06/88)

In article <24769@wlbr.EATON.COM> mh@wlbr.eaton.com.UUCP (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>In article <5416@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>

> >Uh, NDE stands for *Networked* Develpment Environment, not *NeWS*
> >Development Environment...
> >
> >Jon
>
>Don't "UH" too quickly, I'm  pretty sure NDE is **NeWS** Development
>Environment, NOT **Networked** Development Environment**, You're
>thinking of Network Software Environment (NSE) which is a something
>completely different. Both are products of sun. There will be seminars
>on both at the sun users group conference in miami next week.
>
>-mike

      1       000000         000000        000000
     11       000000	     000000	   000000
    111	   000	    000	  000	   000  000      000
   1111	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000	  000	   000  000	 000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
     11	   000	    000   000      000  000      000
   111111     000000	     000000        000000
   111111     000000	     000000        000000

	W E   D I D   I T ! ! !

	1000 articles in comp.sys.next!  The above article was our 1000th.  Now, I'm sure
that it wasn't the 1000th article for everybody, but I just had to include it.  We are now
legitimate.  Party time!!!!   Everybody meet at steve's house on the 17th of Dec.  at
10:00PM PST.  BYOB!  :-)  :-)  :-)

			:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  Robert

ai5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Vikram Lall) (12/06/88)

In article <1027@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, knighton@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) writes:

> 	W E   D I D   I T ! ! !
>
> 	1000 articles in comp.sys.next!  The above article was our 1000th.  Now, I'm sure
> that it wasn't the 1000th article for everybody, but I just had to include it.  We are now
> legitimate.  Party time!!!!   Everybody meet at steve's house on the 17th of Dec.  at
> 10:00PM PST.  BYOB!  :-)  :-)  :-)

BYOB?

bring your own beer or box? ;-)

> 			:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  Robert

vik

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (12/07/88)

In article <24769@wlbr.EATON.COM> mh@wlbr.eaton.com.UUCP (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>In article <5416@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>

> >Uh, NDE stands for *Networked* Develpment Environment, not *NeWS*
> >Development Environment...
> >
> >Jon
>
>Don't "UH" too quickly, I'm  pretty sure NDE is **NeWS** Development
>Environment...

I spoke too soon - it is indeed NeWS Development Environment

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (12/08/88)

In article <1027@oswego.Oswego.EDU> knighton@oswego.oswego.edu.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) writes:
>	W E   D I D   I T ! ! !
>
>	1000 articles in comp.sys.next!  The above article was our 1000th.  Now, I'm sure
>that it wasn't the 1000th article for everybody, but I just had to include it.  We are now
>legitimate.  Party time!!!!   Everybody meet at steve's house on the 17th of Dec.  at
>10:00PM PST.  BYOB!  :-)  :-)  :-)
>
>			:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  Robert

It sure isn't the 1000'th article here! it's the 16'th! I'm fairly certain
that the distribution is badly broken somehow, and ends up in 'junk' which
doesn't always get propagated...

News Admins, please check!

Thanks,
--
Bruce Becker        Toronto, Ont.
Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, becker@ziebmef.UUCP

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/11/88)

In article <168@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
]In article <1027@oswego.Oswego.EDU> knighton@oswego.oswego.edu.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) writes:
]>	W E   D I D   I T ! ! !
]>
]>	1000 articles in comp.sys.next!  The above article was our 1000th.  Now, I'm sure
]>that it wasn't the 1000th article for everybody, but I just had to include it.  We are now
]>legitimate.  Party time!!!!   Everybody meet at steve's house on the 17th of Dec.  at
]>10:00PM PST.  BYOB!  :-)  :-)  :-)
]>
]>			:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  Robert
]
]
]
]It sure isn't the 1000'th article here! it's the 16'th! I'm fairly certain
]that the distribution is badly broken somehow, and ends up in 'junk' which
]doesn't always get propagated...
]
You're both wrong. It isn't the 1000'th article, but certainly not the 16'th.
I've been following comp.sys.next from the start and have noticed that due
to problems at some news-sites some articles have been repeated. I guess
somewhere between 50 and 100. So we're still getting close...

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |