[comp.sys.next] Correction: Xerox, GE, and Honeywell

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (12/06/88)

I recently posted an article saying that Xerox bought the computer line from
GE that was then sold to Honeywell, which then had MULTICS developed on it.

In reality, Xerox bought the computer line (the Sigma series was Xerox's
name) from someone else (CDC, SDS, something like that ...), then sold it
to GE who sold it to Honeywell.

My apologies ...

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (12/09/88)

In article <1415@cpoint.UUCP> alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:

> I recently posted an article saying that Xerox bought the computer line from
> GE that was then sold to Honeywell, which then had MULTICS developed on it.
>
> In reality, Xerox bought the computer line (the Sigma series was Xerox's
> name) from someone else (CDC, SDS, something like that ...), then sold it
> to GE who sold it to Honeywell.

Actually, the situation is even more complex than that!

Honeywell ended up buying two entirely separate operations:

-  the GCOS operating system and the GE 650 (?) processor architecture
   were purchased from General Electric.  Honeywell went on to make the
   Honeywell 6000, Honeywell 6600, the Level 66, and then the DPS-8
   processor lines.  NEC in Japan has also acquired the rights to this
   basic processor architecture, and has been manufacturing processors
   (e.g. the S-1000) that leave Honeywell's best mainframes in the dust.
   Honewell is now OEM'ing the NEC processors and is selling them as the
   top-end DPS-8 machines.

   I believe [but do not recall for certain] that Honeywell also purchased
   the rights to Multics from GE at this time.  Multics runs on a variant
   of the GE/Honeywell hardware (a different and somewhat more powerful
   virtual-memory system is used).

-  Some years after buying GCOS, Honeywell purchased the rights to the
   CP-V operating system, and the maintainence business for Xerox's
   installed base of Sigma 5/6/7/9 computers, when Xerox decided to
   drop out of the mainframe business.  Xerox had originally purchased
   the Sigma line from SDS (Scientific Data Systems).  Honeywell maintained
   CP-V and the Sigma computers for several years, and developed a new
   operating system CP-6, which resembled CP-V but which ran on the
   Level 66 and DPS-8 computers.

Having three separate mainframe operating systems under its roof led
Honeywell into some very unpleasant turf-battles.  As is too often true
in this world, the innovative systems (Multics and CP-6) lost out;
the Multics development center is no more, and the CP-6 development center
is but a ghost of what it was in the mid-70s.

[For some good chuckles... pick up "The Zen of Programming", by Geoffrey
 James.  It contains many stories which took place at the CP-6 development
 center in Los Angeles during the late '70s and early '80s.  The story about
 the developer in the gorilla suit is true... I was there at the time, and
 saw the gorilla abduct a young & nubile hardware technician and carry her
 down the corridor over his shoulder.]

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) (12/09/88)

In article <1415@cpoint.UUCP> alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
>In reality, Xerox bought the computer line (the Sigma series was Xerox's
>name) from someone else (CDC, SDS, something like that ...), then sold it
>to GE who sold it to Honeywell.

SDS (= Scientific Data Systems) originally built the Sigma-n, n = 5,7,9, etc.
When XeroX bought it, it was renamed XDS (Xerox Data Systems).  I don't
remember GE being in the loop.  I had the recollection that after XDS, the
Sigma series was peddled by Honeywell.

The SDS Sigma-5 was a great number-crunching "mini" with floating point h/w,
at a time (late '60s) when most minis had to do floating point with s/w.
Anyone else remember RBM ("Real-time Batch Monitor") on it?

Some old(-er)timer may know this for sure - didn't Max Palevsky start SDS?
Isn't same said person currently on the Xerox board?

Er, what does this have to do with comp.sys.next?

Kok Chen			{decwrl,sun}!apple!kchen
Apple Computer, Inc.

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (12/14/88)

In article <1415@cpoint.UUCP> alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:

|I recently posted an article saying that Xerox bought the computer line from
|GE that was then sold to Honeywell, which then had MULTICS developed on it.
|
|In reality, Xerox bought the computer line (the Sigma series was Xerox's
|name) from someone else (CDC, SDS, something like that ...), then sold it
|to GE who sold it to Honeywell.
|
|My apologies ...

Scientific Data Systems built the 900 series and then the Sigma
series.  Xerox then bought them from the founder and chief
stockholder, Max Pavlesky.

Lee