[comp.sys.next] : Display PS vs NeWS

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (12/18/88)

From article <109@adobe.COM>, by greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid):
> In article <2391@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>
>  >> PostScript, on the other hand, is a de-facto standard, and to me, Display
>  >Again complete SHEER IGNORANCE.  NeWS IS a Postscript *superset* -
>

>  >I am sorry for the flame...but next time you post facts ... do a little
>  >research first.  X/Display Postscript has alot of potential...but quite
>  >simply (because NeWS is a superset of DP) X/NeWS has alot more potential.
To bad you didn't post the real reason for the flame.  i.e. that only
Sun was doing NeWS (which was wrong).

> Tsk, tsk.  He who lives by the, er, sword, dies by it, I suppose.  Do
> you really know anything about Display PostScript?  Have you ever
> looked up the word "superset"?

Just what I have read and from talking to Adobe's reps at trade shows,
and looking at some of the DP demos.

> And also, Display PostScript has nothing to do with X windows, other
> than the ability to ge integrated into it.
Nowaday - many people see a necessary link between X and some form of
display Postscript (DP). The most obvious choice is to integrate Display
Postscript and X.

> The NeXT machine does not
> run X windows; it draws its windows with Display PostScript.
I was aware that NeXT does not run X11 (that is one of the criticisms
of the machine - not mine). I was not aware that Display Postscript
had a rich set of window functions...(and maybe an extensible server...;-)
as all the literature I've seen states that it operates in the native windows
of the machine it resides on.  Some of us would be interested in hearing
about these new Adobe DP extensions ... care to inform us?

> Sigh.
sigh.

> Glenn Reid
> Adobe Systems