[net.followup] Terrorism and TWA 847

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Danger Mouse) (06/21/85)

I'll tell you what to do if you REALLY want to
stop this kind of thing from happening again.
(I make no claims of justification on legal or
moral grounds--just a solution.)

Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
have released.  That'll shut 'em up...

				SJBerry

sef@drutx.UUCP (FarleighSE) (06/22/85)

SJ Berry does not go far enough.

We tell the terrorists this:  "You people have screwed up.
If you release the hostages immediately we will only obliterate
your military camps.  If you do not immediately release the
hostages we will not only obliterate your military camps, but
also your civilian population."

Ofcourse this country would have to have the guts to back that
kind of statement up.  Note:  It would take only one instance
like this to keep terrorists from ever pulling a stunt like this
again.  I know the lily-livered ones will scream bloodly murder
that we are barbarian, but look at what we are dealing with, they
sure aren't human.

Scott Farleigh
303 538-4904

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (06/23/85)

In article <518@hou2g.UUCP>, scott@hou2g.UUCP (Danger Mouse) writes:

> I'll tell you what to do if you REALLY want to
> stop this kind of thing from happening again.
> (I make no claims of justification on legal or
> moral grounds--just a solution.)
>
> Each and every time those Shiite
> terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
> 				SJBerry

	While it might shut them up, we can't take that stand. As much
as Reagan would (probably) like to bomb Beiruit into non-existance,
he can't. We are dealing in politics here.

	Suppose Reagan issused the ultimatum that Mr. Berry suggests.
And further suppose that you were, in some way, emotionally tied to
one of the hostages. Would you like your President voluntarily letting
your loved ones get killed? Probably not. Think what the Democrats would
say. "Look, Republicans kill Americans!" Reagan political opponents
would have a field day. The news media would crucify him. Reagan's a
politician, he can't allow that (even if he is ineligible for re-election).

	I'm as disgusted as the next American at the wimpy world posture
that the United States is projecting. We're simultaneously the greatest
country in the world and one of the most spineless. Of course the MAD
syndrome is an effective determent to hostile action againt the Soviets
(Remember KAL007?). But the Shiites are non-communist, the only thing
keeping Lebanon IN EXISTANCE (physically, that is) is 40 American lives.

U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

--
edward
		{decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,seismo}! -+-> cbosgd! --> ukma!edward

    |--		"Well, what's on the television then?"
   /|---	"Looks like a penguin."
  |     \  _
   \___/ \=	Support barrier free design

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (06/25/85)

> I'll tell you what to do if you REALLY want to
> stop this kind of thing from happening again.
> (I make no claims of justification on legal or
> moral grounds--just a solution.)
>
> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
>

> 				SJBerry

   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".  It didn't work for him
(and believe me he did enough experimentation to find out), but maybe
we can improve on his mistakes.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-7473

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (06/25/85)

> SJ Berry does not go far enough.
>
> We tell the terrorists this:  "You people have screwed up.
> If you release the hostages immediately we will only obliterate
> your military camps.  If you do not immediately release the
> hostages we will not only obliterate your military camps, but
> also your civilian population."

There are no easy solutions.

The Nazis used a similar policy against people that they felt were
terrorists, exterminating entire villages for the acts of a few.

If we descend to the level of terrorists, we are terrorists.

It is so easy to expound righteous patriotic fervor, but nothing will
be accomplished by sending Rambo to Beirut. Besides, there are really
quite a few shiits in this world, distributed across quite a few
national boundaries, exactly how do you'll propose do do them all in?

After Munich, the Israeli's quietly and patiently identified and executed
every member of the gang involved in that operation.
--
						Mark Roddy
						Net working,

					(harvard!talcott!panda!enmasse!mroddy)

EPHRAIM@TECHUNIX.BITNET (06/25/85)

From: ephraim@techunix.bitnet (Ephraim Silverberg)

> Article 1 (SJ Berry)
>
> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
> Article 2 (Scott Farleigh)
>
> We tell the terrorists this:  "You people have screwed up.
> If you release the hostages immediately we will only obliterate
> your military camps.  If you do not immediately release the
> hostages we will not only obliterate your military camps, but
> also your civilian population."

   When the State of Israel tries to neutralise the  military  camps  of  the
   Shi'ites  in  Lebanon, we are condemned as facists and murderers, although
   these people have waged an active war of terror on the Northern  residents
   of Israel for over ten years. However, when the lives of Americans are af-
   fected then a "different" standard seems to apply -- anything goes: random
   killing, attack civilian populations, etc.

   I do *not*, Heaven forbid, take the  lives  of  the  endangered  Americans
   lightly and I sincerely hope and pray that they all return safely to their
   homes and families.  I am only sickened by the *constant* double  standard
   the  world applies to the State of Israel.  We value the blood of our peo-
   ple and children as much as you do.

   I do *not* think any of the solutions mentioned above are reasonable;  the
   terrorists  regard their cause as holy and to kill their captives and then
   commit suicide would be considered by them as a ticket to heaven.  On  the
   other  hand,  I  do  not want their co-terrorists which they want released
   walking the streets of this country. I'd be more than  willing  to  deport
   these criminals to countries sympathetic to their cause far from the bord-
   ers of Israel.  Yes, there they will become instant "heroes", but there is
   no other way of both securing the release of the captives and ensuring the
   safety of the people of Israel.  No, this will not deter  further  hijack-
   ings, but when dealing with people who consider themselves to be driven by
   the Word of G-d, nothing will.  The only way to prevent such occurences in
   the  future  is to institute the same severe security measures on all air-
   lines as are presently used by El-Al Airlines.   Granted  this  will  make
   airline travel somewhat more cumbersome and unpleasant, but it is far more
   preferable than the alternative.

   May the captives soon be returned to their homes and loved ones  safe  and
   in good health.

Ephraim Silverberg,
Computer Science Department,
Israel Institute of Technology,
Haifa, Israel.

BITNET  : ephraim@techunix
ARPANET : ephraim%techunix.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa
UUCP    : {almost anywhere}!ucbvax!UCBJADE!TECHUNIX:EPHRAIM
CSNET   : ephraim%techunix.BITNET@csnet-relay

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (The Rev. Peak) (06/25/85)

->> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
->> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
->> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
->> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
->>
->>
->> 				SJBerry
->
->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
->ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".  It didn't work for him
->(and believe me he did enough experimentation to find out), but maybe
->we can improve on his mistakes.
->
->H. Reza Taheri
->

Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
and that's how we got the word "decimate".

    Dave Peak
    @  !hotel!dxp

"My buddy..................Buddy Bear !" - Jimmy Buffet

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (06/25/85)

> "... we will not only obliterate your military camps, but
> also your civilian population."
>
> I know the lily-livered ones will scream bloodly murder
> that we are barbarian, but look at what we are dealing with, they
> sure aren't human.
>
> Scott Farleigh
> 303 538-4904

I wonder what your definition of "human" is?  Do you qualify?
--

Dave Messer   ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (06/25/85)

>> I'll tell you what to do if you REALLY want to
>> stop this kind of thing from happening again.
>> (I make no claims of justification on legal or
>> moral grounds--just a solution.)
>>
>> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
>> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
>> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
>> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
>>
>> 				SJBerry

>   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
>ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".  It didn't work for him
>(and believe me he did enough experimentation to find out), but maybe
>we can improve on his mistakes.
>
>H. Reza Taheri

Hey, Reza, let's not give `SJBerry' any more help than [he/she/it] needs.
Based on the 1st paragraph disclaimer, the next iteration could very well
be "The Final Solution".

-- Jeff Shore,  ..!ihnp4!druri!jhs

"Now, Virginia, did you REALLY think `The Marching Morons' was only a story?"

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (06/25/85)

[I feel a flame coming on ...]

>>> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
>>> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
>>>
>>> 				SJBerry
>>
>>   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states ....
>>
>>H. Reza Taheri
>
>Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
>and that's how we got the word "decimate".
>
> Dave Peak @  !hotel!dxp

Swell, Peak. I'm definitely going to sleep better knowing Hitler didn't
formulate the policy, only implement it. Wonderful. So Berry learned from
Hitler who learned from the Romans who learned from ... c'mon, now! Let's
not be picky! How about giving credit where credit is due. Share it with
EVERYONE who continues to propagate lunacy and horror.  Well, Hitler may
not have originated the policy, but he sure as hell implemented it on a
scale that is incomprehensible to rational beings.

And the ultimate obscenity is that nothing seems to change! Some [you name it,
you feed it] is always resurrecting those policies/methods/solutions.

Shouldn't we be more concerned that someone always wants to do it?!!

Ah, what's the point? Some crazy is always going to suggest it, with or
without justification. Right, SJB? Sometimes I wonder which is the more
difficult--defending against the terrorists or the people with *solutions*.

-- Jeff Shore
   ..!ihnp4!drutx!druri!jhs

   "...and the smoke blotted out the noon day sun!"

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (06/26/85)

In article <600003@ur-univax.UUCP> stro@ur-univax.UUCP writes:
> What do other people out there think about the latest act of terrorism -
> the hijacking (and kidnapping of the passengers) of TWA 847? What should
> be done? What can be done?
>    the wworlds attention to their plight.  Commiting ANY crime for these
>    reasons ( or any reason) should not be tolerated - especially when people's
>    lives have been threatened.  Terrorists have come to know that if they
>    threaten people's lives they can bargain with governments to get what they
>    want.  This only leads to more and more terrorism.  I believe Turkey is one

I agree in general with your attitude, however I'm not so sure about how I
would *really* feel if friends or relatives were on the plane.  I suggest
that rather than going in to try to kill the terrorists and quite probably
kill many hostages, we should take a few of the Shi'ite prisoners whose
release has been asked for, and threaten to KILL THEM unless the hostages were
released.  Preferably this could have been done out on the airport tarmac
for all to see.  After all, there are ~700 Shi'ite.  This strategy seems
more likely to be successful than a more direct approach.

>    The best solution would be, of course, to stop it at its root. Insted of
>    they want us out of there.  And why do we stay? what's so special about
>    Lebanon?  Why can't America just leave some countries alone? It's in our

I agree that our activities in some countries is highly unethical.  However,
another approach to stopping the problem near the root would be (assuming
that we had a highly effective intelligence organization) to destroy the
terrorist organizations covertly.  I'm not sure I agree with this strategy,
but it might well be effective.
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (06/26/85)

--
> SJ Berry does not go far enough.
>
> We tell the terrorists this:  "You people have screwed up.
> If you release the hostages immediately we will only obliterate
> your military camps.  If you do not immediately release the
> hostages we will not only obliterate your military camps, but
> also your civilian population."
>
> Scott Farleigh

What a wimpish, bleeding-heart solution!  We'd better go farther
than that to show 'em we mean business.  We should tell 'em they're
*ALL* dead meat, but if they release the hostages--and I mean *RIGHT
NOW*--we'll kill 'em quickly.  Otherwise it'll be slow torture, and
we'll force them to watch it, too.  Ahh, the Fuehrer would be proud...

Actually, the most ingenious solution (as opposed to the final one)
I've heard is for the US Gov't. to insist that Israel release all its
Shi'ite prisoners--to the US Marines.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (06/26/85)

> ->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
> ->ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".  It didn't work for him
>
> Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
> and that's how we got the word "decimate".

Actually decimate means kill one out of ten. Decimation was used by
Roman commanders on military units of the Roman Legions as a punishment.

I seem to vaguely recall that it was used against some units on the
German Frontier that revolted against Tiberius.

Against conquered people it was ever so much more profitable to sell
them into slavery.

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (06/26/85)

[]
in reference to suggestions that the US murder shiite prisoners...

> Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
> and that's how we got the word "decimate".

I thought that decimating was used to discipline the legions, not as a
policy for controling populations.
--

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (06/26/85)

> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
>

> 				SJBerry

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't forget that the Shiites consider martyrdom one of
the greatest honors possible.

The preceding opinions are, in all likelihood, those of Todd Jones.
However, these opinions will, in all certainty, bear scant resemblance
to the opinions of SCI Systems, Inc., Mr. Jones' employer.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | _ |
    |___|

FLAME ME IF YOU DARE!

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (06/27/85)

>->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
>->ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".  It didn't work for him
>->(and believe me he did enough experimentation to find out), but maybe
>->we can improve on his mistakes.
>->
>->H. Reza Taheri
>->
>
>Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
>and that's how we got the word "decimate".
>

>    Dave Peak
From the OED:
	Decimate (3) *Military*  To select by lot and put to death one in
every ten of (a body of soldiers guitly of mutiny): a practice in ancient
Roman times, sometimes followed in later times.

Not *quite* the same thing.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (06/27/85)

Nahh, you folks have it all wrong.  Study the Koran.  Tell them
that if they don't toe the line, we will spray the entire country
with pig's excrement, blood, and parts.  In this way, none of the
fanatics who believe they will be able to join Allah if they are
killed in a Jihad will be able to.  You can't make it to heaven
tainted with pig's anything.  This method has been used before to
nullify the fanatisism of some of the Moslem groups.  The British
used it in India and in North Africa (WWII).  As long as the Moslem
fanatic believes he will not be allowed into paradise because he
is tainted with swine, his fervor vanishes.  This method precludes
the killing of innocent people plus, the problem for the truly
religious can be cleaned.  Publish pictures of marines dipping
their machine-gun rounds in vats of pig's blood and see how
quick the howl goes up from the fanatics.

This all may sound tounge-in-cheek, but it has worked in the past.
You have to understand the all-consuming fervor of the religious
Moslem in the Middle East.  To be killed in the line of duty
during a Jihad (the I-A-Toe-La Cock-a-Maimie declared one for
the Shi'ites several years ago) is a free ticket to paradise,
AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT TAINTED BY ONE OF THE NO-NOs.  Pig's
anything on your person is a definate NO-NO.  Perhaps we could
line the inside of our airliners with pigskin.  This would at
least put a damper on the enthusiasm of Moslem terrorists, no?

This all may sound silly, but, its better than shooting up the
countryside just to drop a few terrorists.  I suggest trying
something on these lines, it couldn't hurt.  Use Moslem
philosophy to counter Moslem terrorists.  (Disclaimer--
I in no way wish to hurt or harm innocent folk be they
Moslem, Jewish, Budist, or whatever.  If someone's
sensibilities are piqued, then I'm sorry.  I just get
tired of all of the killing and perhaps we need a new
direction.)
T. C. Wheeler

jmt@ecsvax.UUCP (Jerry M. Trott) (06/27/85)

>->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
>->ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".  It didn't work for him
>->(and believe me he did enough experimentation to find out), but maybe
>->we can improve on his mistakes.
>->
>->H. Reza Taheri
>->
>
>Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
>and that's how we got the word "decimate".

Actually the word decimate means 'one in ten', not 'ten for one'.
If a Roman military unit broke or ran, they would later be lined up and
every tenth man killed.  While I imagine the Romans had their own
unique ways of dealing with problems with the local population,
decimation was reserved for the military.

                          Jerry Trott
                          jmt@ecsvax

cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (06/27/85)

I absolutely agree with Prentiss.

acheng@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (06/27/85)

>From: ephraim@techunix.bitnet (Ephraim Silverberg)
>
>   When the State of Israel tries to neutralise the  military  camps  of  the
>   Shi'ites  in  Lebanon, we are condemned as facists and murderers, although
>   these people have waged an active war of terror on the Northern  residents
>   of Israel for over ten years. However, when the lives of Americans are af-
>   fected then a "different" standard seems to apply -- anything goes: random
>   killing, attack civilian populations, etc.
>
>   I do *not*, Heaven forbid, take the  lives  of  the  endangered  Americans
>   lightly and I sincerely hope and pray that they all return safely to their
>   homes and families.  I am only sickened by the *constant* double  standard
>   the  world applies to the State of Israel.  We value the blood of our peo-
>   ple and children as much as you do.

What about the lives of the Leboron people?  Their homes?  Their country?
What about those shi'ite kidnapped under the name of war?  In name of securing
the peace for Galilee, Leboron was bombed flat?  How about one standard
to all countries, be it America, Israel, Leboron, and even Palistine?

chas@ihuxe.UUCP (Charles Lambert) (06/28/85)

> What do other people out there think about the latest act of terrorism -
> the hijacking (and kidnapping of the passengers) of TWA 847? What should

I'm posting a response to this discussion in net.misc.

Charlie Lambert @ the Death Star, IL.

rafferty@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Colin Rafferty) (06/28/85)

>->> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
>->> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
>->> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
>->> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
>->>
>->>
>->> 				SJBerry
>->
>->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
>-> ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".
>->
>-> H. Reza Taheri
>->
>
> Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
> and that's how we got the word "decimate".
>
>    Dave Peak

Actually, the word decimate came up because the Romans would kill one tenth
of their own soldiers if they lost.  That made the Roman soldiers very
unlikely to surrender or retreat.  (Leave with your shield or on it.)

----
            Colin Rafferty { Math Department, Carnegie-Mellon University }

jlowry@bbnccv.UUCP (John Lowry) (06/28/85)

In article <416@enmasse.UUCP> mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:
>[]
>in reference to suggestions that the US murder shiite prisoners...
>>
>> Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
>> and that's how we got the word "decimate".
>>
>I thought that decimating was used to discipline the legions, not as a
>policy for controling populations.
>--
>						Mark Roddy
>						Net working,
>						Just reading the news.
>
>					(harvard!talcott!panda!enmasse!mroddy)

Actually, decimate does not refer to the killing of 10 for each one, but
to the process of killing every 10th person in a group.  You are right
that it was used in the Legions, usually for the crime of mutiny or having
supported the wrong general etc...

				Havin' fun ..

				John Lowry

==============================
"Great Maestros, like great Capitalists have a keen sense of humor .."
		Berke Breathed

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/01/85)

In article <9700096@uiucdcs> acheng@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>>From: ephraim@techunix.bitnet (Ephraim Silverberg)
>>
>>   When the State of Israel tries to neutralise the  military  camps  of  the
>>   Shi'ites  in  Lebanon, we are condemned as facists and murderers, although
>>   these people have waged an active war of terror on the Northern  residents
>>   of Israel for over ten years. However, when the lives of Americans are af-
>>   fected then a "different" standard seems to apply -- anything goes: random
>>   killing, attack civilian populations, etc.
>>

>What about the lives of the Leboron people?  Their homes?  Their country?
>What about those shi'ite kidnapped under the name of war?  In name of securing
>the peace for Galilee, Leboron was bombed flat?  How about one standard
>to all countries, be it America, Israel, Leboron, and even Palistine?

Where on earth do you get such ideas?  Lebanon "bombed flat"?
By Israel? Take a look at the civil war which has been going on
there since 1975. Israel attacked military and terrorist (PLO)
targets primarily. Yes, civilians have suffered. But the Lebanese
have suffered much more at the hands of the PLO, Syria and themselves
than from Israel. And Israel was quite justified in invading in the
first place. What would the U.S. do if Cuba started sending bombs
and missiles daily into Florida?

"Palistine"? Or did you mean Palestine? At any rate, there is no such country.
Unless you mean Jordan, which is 77% of Palestine.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) (07/02/85)

>From: ephraim@techunix.bitnet (Ephraim Silverberg)
>
>   When the State of Israel tries to neutralise the  military  camps  of  the
>   Shi'ites  in  Lebanon, we are condemned as facists and murderers, although
>   these people have waged an active war of terror on the Northern  residents
>   of Israel for over ten years. However, when the lives of Americans are af-
>   fected then a "different" standard seems to apply -- anything goes: random
>   killing, attack civilian populations, etc.
>
>   I do *not*, Heaven forbid, take the  lives  of  the  endangered  Americans
>   lightly and I sincerely hope and pray that they all return safely to their
>   homes and families.  I am only sickened by the *constant* double  standard
>   the  world applies to the State of Israel.  We value the blood of our peo-
>   ple and children as much as you do.

Interesting, so the Shiites were attacking Israel for the last 10 years...Then
what were the Palestinians doing, sightseeing in the refugee camps? I hope by
now you realised that you goofed, but then to you "They all look the same."  I
don't believe the whole world applies the double standard.  The Jewish Lobby
along with the many Jewish-owned publications (Ex: New York Times), have helped
Israel retain a "special" standard with the U.S.  About not taking "the lives
of the ... Americans lightly" and hoping (and praying) "that all return safely
to their homes and families", I guess that to you "Who cares about those Shiites
whom Israel is holding, after all they must not have families".  After pounding
West Beirut and having Arafat withdraw his forces on the condition that Israel
would not enter West Beirut, the Israeli "sightseeing" force entered West Beirut
and pretended not to see the Maronites killing Palestinian refugees.  Did the
American public forget that or were they helped to forget?

<Note: Shouldn't this discussion be exclusively in net.politics?>

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (07/02/85)

From: tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) Message-ID: <146@pyuxii.UUCP>
> ...					Study the Koran.  Tell them
> that if they don't toe the line, we will spray the entire country
> with pig's excrement, blood, and parts. ...
> ...					You can't make it to heaven
> tainted with pig's anything.  This method has been used before to
> nullify the fanatisism of some of the Moslem groups.  The British
> used it in India and in North Africa (WWII).  As long as the Moslem
> fanatic believes he will not be allowed into paradise because he
> is tainted with swine, his fervor vanishes.  This method precludes
> the killing of innocent people plus, the problem for the truly
> religious can be cleaned. ...
> This all may sound tounge-in-cheek, but it has worked in the past.

Has anyone heard of this being used on the Muslim populations in
India or North Africa?  Was anything similar ever used on the
Hindus to control them whenever (if ever) they became 'rowdy'?

					      Sunil Trivedi
					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (07/03/85)

In article <1949@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) writes:
>From: tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) Message-ID: <146@pyuxii.UUCP>
>> ...					Study the Koran.  Tell them
>> that if they don't toe the line, we will spray the entire country
>> with pig's excrement, blood, and parts. ...
>> ...					You can't make it to heaven
>> tainted with pig's anything.  This method has been used before to
>> nullify the fanatisism of some of the Moslem groups.  The British
>> used it in India and in North Africa (WWII).  As long as the Moslem
>> fanatic believes he will not be allowed into paradise because he
>> is tainted with swine, his fervor vanishes.  This method precludes
>> the killing of innocent people plus, the problem for the truly
>> religious can be cleaned. ...
>> This all may sound tounge-in-cheek, but it has worked in the past.
>
>Has anyone heard of this being used on the Muslim populations in
>India or North Africa?  Was anything similar ever used on the
>Hindus to control them whenever (if ever) they became 'rowdy'?
>
>					      Sunil Trivedi
>					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
>					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

Yeah, the British used it India (or, at least the Sepoy regiments
thought so).  See where it got them?  The 1847 (may have the wrong
date) Sepoy Rebellion.

This is how I remember it:

The British were introducing a new rifle cartridge to their troops
(both the Indian regiments and the British soldiers themselves) - they
were lubricated with some sort of grease.  You were supposed to bite
off the end before using it.  A rumor started claiming that the grease
was from pigs (I seem to remember that it was not animal-derived at
all).  But, for some reason the senior British officers (who the Sepoys
respected and would have believed) refused to deny this - they just
reiterated the order that the Sepoys HAD to use the cartridge,
regardless of their religious beliefs.  Next thing you knew, the Sepoy
regiments mutinied and the British had a real fight on their hands
(both from the civilian population AND the British trained native
regiments).  Hundreds (if not thousands) of both Indian and British
soldiers and civilians (many of the soldier's families) died over the
next year or so.

Senior British Officers can be phenomenally stupid opon occasion.
(Especially, as was frequently the case in "quiet" zones, when they were
in their 80's.  I heard the comment once:
	The British lose all of the battles, but always win the war
).
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (07/04/85)

I hope most of the suggestions given are in jest.

The problem with any kind of retaliation against anyone but the
hijackers is that you are taking their word for who they are!

Assume some policy of retaliation like killing the prisoners they
requested freed was addopted.  The next group of terrists will demand
the release of whoever they would most like to see killed.

I believe that direct action against the hijackers is a solution.  If
the hijackers were given one chance to surrender before the plane was
boarded by force then there would be no encentive for hijacking.  The
most they could hope to accomplish would be the destruction of the
plane and passengers.  They could do that, using a bomb, without
getting themselves killed.  The news value would be reduced because the
situation would be over quickly.  Yesterdays news is never the lead
story.

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (07/04/85)

>From: raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt)
>Subject: Re: Terrorism and TWA 847
>Date: Tue, 2-Jul-85 05:08:32 EDT
>
>...The Jewish Lobby
>along with the many Jewish-owned publications (Ex: New York Times), have helped
		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Israel retain a "special" standard with the U.S.

Uh oh, here they come, right of their dark little holes...the classic
"jew haters".

Ok, if you're going to be a boor in public then me too:

Do you really think *all* Jews unquestionably support Israel on everything?
Even in Israel, let alone America?

Do you really believe the owners of the NY Times just work their wills
on all editorial comments in the paper? Even the syndicated stuff?

Can you name at least one newspaper not owned by Jews that you disagree
with? How do you so easily explain that (oh yeah, they must owe money
to the Jewish Banking Conspiracy)?

This is a tired argument used by some of the biggest nut groups in this
country and is not generally (I hope) believed or even considered by
rational people, so save your fingers, most of us just laughed at you.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/05/85)

In article <1947@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) writes:
>don't believe the whole world applies the double standard...
>								After pounding
>West Beirut and having Arafat withdraw his forces on the condition that Israel
>would not enter West Beirut, the Israeli "sightseeing" force entered West Beirut
>and pretended not to see the Maronites killing Palestinian refugees.  Did the
>American public forget that or were they helped to forget?

The Wall Street Journal put it very well in this article of May 30:

	"Something seems to be missing as violence in Lebanon
	 rises to a new crescendo. For weeks now, Christian
	 forces have been in retreat from advancing Shiites;
	 the number of Christian refugees is approaching
	 100,000, though precise estimates are hard to find.
	 And since May 19, Shiite forces have been moving in
	 on Palestinian camps, including Sabra and Shatilla,
	 around the Lebanese capital... the latest despatches
	 say hundreds of people have been massacred.

	"Where are all the moralists now? They descended on the
	 Lebanese story in droves when, in September 1982,
	 Phalangist forces, moving past Israeli troops, drove
	 into Sabra and Shatilla in search of Palestinian
	 guerrillas and in over 36 terrible hours killed
	 hundreds of people, including many women and children.
	 Some accused the Israelis, in effect, of aiding and
	 abetting the massacre...

	"But you don't hear the moralists now. They aren't
	 blaming the Syrian defense minister. They aren't
	 asking for a commission of inquiry in Damascus. They
	 aren't heaping on the head of President Assad the
	 kind of hateful language they leveled at Prime Minister
	 Begin. And they appear to take no notice whatsoever
	 of the fact that Syria's brutal consolidation of
	 its hegemony in Lebanon is taking place under cover
	 provided by Moscow. After a while it makes one wonder
	 whether it was the deaths of innocent Palestinians
	 that was worrying the moralists to begin with, or
	 the possibility of a Western victory."

(Wall Street Journal, May 30/85, "Deafening Silence". Ref. CJN 27/6/85 p.2)

Yes, there's a double standard. It's quite visible in Mr. Bhatt's
misleading accusations.

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/08/85)

> ->> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
> ->> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
> ->> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
> ->> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
> ->> 				SJBerry
> ->
> ->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
> ->ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".
> ->H. Reza Taheri
> ->
>
> Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
> and that's how we got the word "decimate".
>     Dave Peak

My understanding of "decimation" was that it was a process whereby people
were lined up and counted and every 10th person was killed.  Does anybody
know for sure which meaning is the correct one?
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

mohan@sbcs.UUCP (Chilukuri K. Mohan) (07/10/85)

> In article <1949@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) writes:
> >From: tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) Message-ID: <146@pyuxii.UUCP>
> >> ...					Study the Koran.  Tell them
> >> that if they don't toe the line, we will spray the entire country
> >> with pig's excrement, blood, and parts. ...
> >> ...					You can't make it to heaven
> >> tainted with pig's anything.  This method has been used before to
> >> nullify the fanatisism of some of the Moslem groups.  The British
> >> used it in India and in North Africa (WWII).  As long as the Moslem
> >> fanatic believes he will not be allowed into paradise because he
> >> is tainted with swine, his fervor vanishes.  This method precludes
> >> the killing of innocent people plus, the problem for the truly
> >> religious can be cleaned. ...
> >> This all may sound tounge-in-cheek, but it has worked in the past.
> >
> >Has anyone heard of this being used on the Muslim populations in
> >India or North Africa?  Was anything similar ever used on the
> >Hindus to control them whenever (if ever) they became 'rowdy'?
> >
> >					      Sunil Trivedi
> >					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
> >					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil
>
> Yeah, the British used it India (or, at least the Sepoy regiments
> thought so).  See where it got them?  The 1847 (may have the wrong
> date) Sepoy Rebellion.
>
> This is how I remember it:
>
> The British were introducing a new rifle cartridge to their troops
> (both the Indian regiments and the British soldiers themselves) - they
> were lubricated with some sort of grease.  You were supposed to bite
> off the end before using it.  A rumor started claiming that the grease
> was from pigs (I seem to remember that it was not animal-derived at
> all).  But, for some reason the senior British officers (who the Sepoys
> respected and would have believed) refused to deny this - they just
> reiterated the order that the Sepoys HAD to use the cartridge,
> regardless of their religious beliefs.  Next thing you knew, the Sepoy
> regiments mutinied and the British had a real fight on their hands
> (both from the civilian population AND the British trained native
> regiments).  Hundreds (if not thousands) of both Indian and British
> soldiers and civilians (many of the soldier's families) died over the
> next year or so.
>
> Senior British Officers can be phenomenally stupid opon occasion.
> (Especially, as was frequently the case in "quiet" zones, when they were
> in their 80's.  I heard the comment once:
> 	The British lose all of the battles, but always win the war
> ).
> --
> Chris Lewis,
> UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
> BELL: (416)-475-8980 ext. 321

In the year 1857, there were tremendous uprisings in several parts of India.
British historians called the whole thing a `Sepoy Mutiny', and tragically,
the idea that it was a mere act of indiscipline seems to be widely believed.
I, would like to protest: in calling the
	FIRST WAR OF INDIAN INDEPENDENCE
a mere mutiny, history is being written to suit the ideas of colonisers.

The reasons for uprisings, `mutinies', revolutions are not to be simply
found in the stupidity of a few officers, just as they are not to be
seen as the machinations of outsiders.  The very existence of oppression
is cause enough for the oppressed to rebel.  The very existence of colonial
domination is sufficient fuel for conflagrations of national liberation
struggles.  Yes, sparks are needed: sometimes external and internal
conditions reach a point at which the oppressed find the existing situation
intolerable. And then: death and destruction to the masters, with
the inevitable sacrifice of some of the rebels as well.

The `sepoy mutiny' as well as several other struggles must be seen in this
light.  The rumors circulated about pigfat and cowfat being used by the
army are but one small item in a whole list of other reasons for the uprising.
The mutiny itself must be seen in conjunction with all the other struggles
that were occurring in the country at the time.  I am sure there are a
lot of history books which can help contribute to the genuine understanding
of what happened in 1857, as well as in the years preceding and following.
PLEASE don't believe that the dead cobra is nothing but a piece of rope:
at one time, it moved, it hissed, and flung its venom at the WhiteMan's Burden.

Chilukuri K. Mohan (alias 'CK')
mohan@suny-sbcs.csnet [Stony Brook]

mag@whuxlm.UUCP (Gray Michael A) (07/10/85)

> > Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
> > and that's how we got the word "decimate".
> >     Dave Peak
>
> My understanding of "decimation" was that it was a process whereby people
> were lined up and counted and every 10th person was killed.  Does anybody
> know for sure which meaning is the correct one?
> --
> Sophie Quigley

Sophie wins.

Mike Gray, whuxlm!mag

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (07/11/85)

> > ->> Each and every time those Shi'ite (or however you spell
> > ->> it) terrorists kill a hostage, or let a hostage die,
> > ->> let's execute 5 or so of the people they're trying to
> > ->> have released.  That'll shut 'em up...
> > ->> 				SJBerry
> > ->
> > ->   Actually, the Adolph Hitler principle states that you should kill
> > ->ten of "their" people for each one of "ours".
> > ->H. Reza Taheri
> > ->
> >
> > Don't credit Hitler with this policy, the Romans instituted it much earlier
> > and that's how we got the word "decimate".
> >     Dave Peak
>
> My understanding of "decimation" was that it was a process whereby people
> were lined up and counted and every 10th person was killed.  Does anybody
> know for sure which meaning is the correct one?
> --
> Sophie Quigley

Sophie is right.  Decimation was a punishment used for group crimes, like
mutiny in the army.  I believe Suetonius gives some examples.
--

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

acheng@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (07/11/85)

>/* Written 12:21 am  Jul  1, 1985 by dave@lsuc.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.general */
>
>Where on earth do you get such ideas?  Lebanon "bombed flat"?
>By Israel? Take a look at the civil war which has been going on
>there since 1975. Israel attacked military and terrorist (PLO)
>targets primarily. Yes, civilians have suffered. But the Lebanese
>have suffered much more at the hands of the PLO, Syria and themselves
>than from Israel. And Israel was quite justified in invading in the
>first place. What would the U.S. do if Cuba started sending bombs
>and missiles daily into Florida?

Just because other people are committing murders, doesnot give
Israel a permit to commit murders too.  I never say the Syrians,
PLO or even Lebanonians, be it christian or muslim, have any
rights to kill innocent people.  If Cuba, as a country, commits
acts of war against U.S., yes, U.S. has a right to defend herself,
even by counter attack.  But Leboron did not declare war or attack
Israel.  No one has rights to kill bystanders when he is chasing
after his enemies.  Remember the incidents of the MOVE in Philedelphenia?
The police claimed it was an accident that 5 blocks of houses burned
to level.  If the police chief claimed he burned down the whole
place to flush out those MOVE members, I bet no one would tolerate
that.

>"Palistine"? Or did you mean Palestine? At any rate, there is no such country.
>Unless you mean Jordan, which is 77% of Palestine.

Forgive my spelling.  Don't tell me there is no such a country and pass
the buck to Jordon.  What was there between Syria, Leboron, Jordon and
Eygpt before 1948?  Why are there Palestinian Refugee camps in Leboron,
Jordon now?  Where did those people come from?

I am not against Israel or advocating them be "pushed" into the
sea.  No, i am saying "all men are created equal" and that applies
to all mankinds, be it Jews, Arabs, or even Orientals (i am one).
Let us make solutions to let everyone live equally in peace.

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (07/12/85)

In article <351@sbcs.UUCP> mohan@sbcs.UUCP (Chilukuri K. Mohan) writes:

>In the year 1857, there were tremendous uprisings in several parts of India.
>British historians called the whole thing a `Sepoy Mutiny', and tragically,
>the idea that it was a mere act of indiscipline seems to be widely believed.
>I, would like to protest: in calling the
>	FIRST WAR OF INDIAN INDEPENDENCE
>a mere mutiny, history is being written to suit the ideas of colonisers.

I apologize to those people who may have been mislead by my posting to
believe that the ONLY reason for the Sepoy Mutiny (C. Mohan's "First
War of Indian Independence") was a "mere act of indiscipline"
(regarding pig fat etc.).  I was not rewriting history to suit the ideas
of the colonizers.  I know somewhat more about the war than that
(other than getting the year wrong - sorry). There were many other FAR
MORE IMPORTANT factors behind the war.  The Pig Fat incident was merely
one of the focal points (and had major influence solely on the Sepoy
regiments - not the rest of the participants.  Without this incident
MAYBE the Sepoys would have stayed with the British, but this, in
itself wouldn't have affected much - the war would still have happened,
just delayed a little longer.)  To people more familiar with European
history, the "Pig Fat" incident was similar in effect to the
assassination of Arch-Duke Ferdinand in 1914.  The latter was certainly
NOT the reason for WWI, but it was one of the major triggers.

My main point in posting the original posting was to point out that the
original suggestion of dumping animal parts and byproducts on Lebanon
was likely to have the opposite effect to what the original suggester
suggested.  Partially to show how little understanding there is of
the peoples involved on the part of some of the posters (sorta) supporting
such an action.  My personal views on Indian Independence and the wars
were not the issue, and still aren't.  I'm not British either - so
I won't go into issues of possible bias or "history rewriting" on EITHER
side.
--

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/19/85)

In article <9700099@uiucdcs> acheng@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

> Just because other people are committing murders, doesnot give
> Israel a permit to commit murders too.

Israel has tried hard to survive without using excessive force.
However, protecting her citizens comes first. Since it appears
retaliatory bombings are the only deterrent against terrorist
attacks, that is what Israel does. Many Israelis don't like it
either, but no-one has a better solution.

>					I never say the Syrians,
> PLO or even Lebanonians, be it christian or muslim, have any
> rights to kill innocent people.   If Cuba, as a country, commits
> acts of war against U.S., yes, U.S. has a right to defend herself,
> even by counter attack.  But Leboron did not declare war or attack
> Israel.

Hold it right there. Lebanon DID attack Israel, in 1948, and
has never ceased its formal state of war on Israel. Furthermore,
attacks on Israel were made regularly until 1982, in theform
of Katyusha rocket attacks and terrorist border attacks on
Israeli villages and kibbutzim. These attacks were made from
Lebanon. The Lebanese government was unable or unwilling to
stop them. That gave Israel the right under international law
to move into Lebanon itself.

>	No one has rights to kill bystanders when he is chasing
> after his enemies.  Remember the incidents of the MOVE in Philedelphenia?
> The police claimed it was an accident that 5 blocks of houses burned
> to level.  If the police chief claimed he burned down the whole
> place to flush out those MOVE members, I bet no one would tolerate
> that.

Maybe you should learn a little about how the PLO intentionally
used schools, hospitals and residential areas to hide behind, so
that Israelis would be unable to attack them without hurting innocent
people. (I can post extensive documented evidence to the net, as
I did a couple of years ago; this is hardly anything new.)
The Israeli army makes every effort not to harm innocent people;
however, it can only go so far, and protecting itself and its people
comes first.

> >"Palistine"? Or did you mean Palestine? At any rate, there is no such country.
> >Unless you mean Jordan, which is 77% of Palestine.
>
> Forgive my spelling.  Don't tell me there is no such a country and pass
> the buck to Jordon.  What was there between Syria, Leboron, Jordon and
> Eygpt before 1948?

Before 1922 there was a large British colony, seized from the Turks,
called Palestine. Britain carved over 3/4 of this off and handed it
to the Hashemite clan, and King Hussein is still there. (What? No
complaints about the legitimate rights of the residents? Horrors!)

Before 1948, in Western Palestine, there was a Jewish community
and an Arab community, of roughly equal populations. The Jews
had purchased (note: purchased) land which was largely
unused, and turned swamp and desert into flourishing
communities.  The UN voted in 1947 to partition the land
into two states, one for the Jews, one for the Arabs. The
Arabs rejected this entirely. Arab leaders told their people
to leave their homes so that they could destroy the Jews.
They lost. Still, from 1949 to 1967 the Arabs could have
formed a state on the West Bank. But no, they insisted on
total destruction of Israel. Again they lost (in 1967).
How many times is a vicious aggressor, whose one goal is
to kill you, entitled to come back and say "we lost, but give
us back our land and let us set up a state next to you so
we can attack you again and destroy you"?

>			Why are there Palestinian Refugee camps in Leboron,
> Jordon now?  Where did those people come from?

Why are they there? Simple. Because NO ARAB COUNTRY GIVES A DAMN.
They were told to leave their homes, and that they'd be back soon,
in a few days or weeks, after the Jews had been wiped out. Instead
they became refugees. OK, they're refugees. Do you know how many
Jewish refugees from Arab countries Israel absorbed in a few short
years? Something like 600,000. Israel offered to take in 100,000
of the Arab refugees too. But no other Arab country wanted any of them.
These people are culturally, ethnically, linguistically and
religiously affiliated with 20 Arab countries. Why are they
Israel's problem?

If the Arabs had used a tiny fraction of their oil revenues, they
could have resettled all the refugees years ago. They left them
to rot because they care more about their hatred of Israel than
about their own brethren.

> I am not against Israel or advocating them be "pushed" into the
> sea.  No, i am saying "all men are created equal" and that applies
> to all mankinds, be it Jews, Arabs, or even Orientals (i am one).
> Let us make solutions to let everyone live equally in peace.

That's easy to say when you don't know anything about the history
of the area. Unfortunately, until the Arab countries and the
Palestinian Arabs agree not to push Israel into the sea, Israel
has no choice but to use force to maintain its existence.

Dave Sherman
Toronto

P.S. if you want to understand the problems Israel has faced,
read a book like "O Jerusalem", an unbiased history of the
1948 war.  Or read Leon Uris' recent novel, "The Haj".
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (07/22/85)

I thought I would add my two cents worth (or is that shekels worth?)
about the situation in the Middle East. A little history may be in
order.
Turkey had control of the area comprising what is now Israel, Lebanon,
Syria, Jordan, Iraq and Saudi Arabia for more than 300 years. After
WWI the French and English were given mandates for several of these
countries. England was given a mandate for Palestine and Trans-Jordan
and the French were given Syria. A portion of Syria was partitioned
off and became Lebanon. Lebanon was to be a haven for Christian
Arabs. The population was about 2/3 Christian at the time of
partition in 1922. The fact that Lebanon was part of Syria explains why
Syria wishes to keep control of the area. Over the years the Christian
majority has been eroded by inward immigration of Muslim Arabs, such as
Palestinians, a higher birth rate among the Muslims and an outward
migration of Christians to other countries, such as the U.S. The French
mandate collapsed in 1941 as a result of WWII.
In order for the British to inlist the aid of the Jewish population in
Palestine during WWI, the British Goverment established the Balfour
Declaration stating a Jewish Homeland should be established in Palestine.
Modern Israel became a country in 1948 when Palestine was partitioned
between Israel and Jordan. Many Arabs fled the area at the urging of their
leaders who promised to drive the Jews out. This diidn't happen and as
a result thousands of Palestinian Arabs were left homeless, living in
refugee camps under deplorable conditions. These people became pawns
used by the Arab leaders who used the Palestinian cause as a
means to keep their own power.
While Lebanon was officially at war with Israel since 1948, its leaders
had little interest in pursuing outright hostilities. When the 1967
war broke out and Syria lost the Golan Heights, the PLO and other
terrorist organizations started using Southern Lebanon as a base of
activities. The PLO also helped subvert the government of Lebanon
so they could use that country as a base of operation.
What is needed is a homeland for the Arab Palestinians. The West Bank
area might provide the best place for this. The problem is that Syria
would probably never agree to let this happen as they want political
instability to continue until their goals are accomplished. Those
goals are the return of the Golan Heights and total domination of
Lebanon as well as the complete distruction of Israel. These goals
are shared by The Soviet Union. If you are a student of Bible
Prophecy you know this will not happen.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.