[comp.sys.next] Icon Death

andy@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Andrew M. Milburn) (12/26/88)

Has anyone gotten Icon (in Programming/Demos) to work?
I get a segmentation fault.  This is undoubtedly a case
of Beta-Death, but since it's Christmas, I thought I'd
ask anyway...

jgreely@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (12/27/88)

In article <5036@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> andy@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
 (Andrew M. Milburn) writes:
>Has anyone gotten Icon (in Programming/Demos) to work?

Yes.  Fairly nice, too, although it doesn't win the I^3 award
(Instantly Intuitive Interface).  Fortunately, it is one of the
few applications currently blessed with extensive on-line help.
Unfortunately, the program behaves differently when help is on,
since help sometimes-but-not-always traps a mouse click (some clicks
will call up the help window, but not take their normal effect,
while others will do both).

>I get a segmentation fault.  This is undoubtedly a case
>of Beta-Death, but since it's Christmas, I thought I'd
>ask anyway...

I'd call it a beta problem, since it works fine for me (currently
sitting on my dock).  It *did* dump core the first time I ran it, but
hasn't since.  How are you trying to launch it?  From a Terminal,
Browser, or off the dock?