[net.auto] Cincinnati Microwave Radar Detectors

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (08/03/85)

I recently ordered a Passport radar detector, and while I am waiting a
couple of weeks for them to catch up with their backlog, I wonder
whether I shouldn't have ordered an Escort instead.

Has anyone performed or read about a comparison test of these units?
More specifically, is the Passport as good as the Escort in the
critical areas of X-band detection and resistance to falsing?

I'd appreciate anything you could share with me.

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

lp@umich.UUCP (Lee Pearson) (08/05/85)

In article <451@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>I recently ordered a Passport radar detector, and while I am waiting a
>couple of weeks for them to catch up with their backlog, I wonder
>whether I shouldn't have ordered an Escort instead.
>
>Has anyone performed or read about a comparison test of these units?
>More specifically, is the Passport as good as the Escort in the
>critical areas of X-band detection and resistance to falsing?
>
>I'd appreciate anything you could share with me.
>
>Ben Broder
>..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
>..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

I've owned a passport for about 3 months, after owning an escort for
five years, and am extremely pleased with it.  From my subjective
evaluation, I feel that the performance is roughly comparable to the
escort.  I also find that I use the passport more often, due to its
smaller size.

If you are unhappy about your decision, I know several people who would
gladly trade their escort for your passport.

	Lee Pearson
	{ihnp4, pur-ee, mb2c}!umich!lp

magik@wlcrjs.UUCP (Ben Liberman) (08/08/85)

My understanding of the Passport is that they went to surface mount technology
and basicly shrunk the same circuitry that is in the Escort except that they
use the same antenna (microwave horn).
   I've owned both (my last escort was stolen from my locked glove compartment
while parked in the valet garage in my old building) and like the fact that I
can through the Passport in the pocket of my levi jacket.
Ben Liberman   {ihnp4|ihldt}!wlcrjs!magik