[comp.sys.next] how many graylevels on NeXT screen?

kelley@dalcs.UUCP (Dan E. Kelley) (01/09/89)

I have a simple question: How many graylevels does the NeXT screen display?
I think I understand it has 3 bits, so 8 levels. Does it dither to get
more levels in between, or are you stuck with 8? And how come all those
articles I've read on NeXT never discuss the number of graylevels?

|---------------------------------------------------|
| Dan Kelley                                        |
| Department of Oceanography                        |
| Dalhousie University                              |
| Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA B3H 4J1              |
| (902)424-1694                                     |
|                                                   |
| kelley@dalcs.uucp                                 |
|                                                   |
| UUCP            {uunet utai watmath}!dalcs!kelley |
| CDN             kelley@cs.dal.cdn                 |
| INTERNET        kelley%dalcs@uunet.UU.NET         |
----------------------------------------------------|

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (01/10/89)

The NeXT machine has a 2-bit screen, or a 4-level greyscaling.  Not
3-bit.  And yes, it does a great job of dithering to get stuff
inbetween.
 A question: I've been playing with the NeXT in our soundlab, and have a
couple questions-

1) How do you get out of the slide show? sysrelease 0.8, by the way.
2) Where is the poker program? I hit it once by accident, and couldn't
find it again.
					-JBZImmerman!
--
___________           | "If there's anything around here more important
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

jgreely@frigate.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (01/10/89)

In article <5260@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>1) How do you get out of the slide show? sysrelease 0.8, by the way.

[in scene, I presume] Click?  It worked for me.  One word of advice,
though.  Don't try the animated hostname; it won't stop.

>2) Where is the poker program? I hit it once by accident, and couldn't
>find it again.

/bootdisk/Programming/Demos/Poker
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)
"I was trying to modify the Sony Walkman into something *useful* --
 throw the heterodyne into the fourth dimension -- when I lost
 concentration and a whole bunch of green icing fell to the ground."

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (01/10/89)

In article <3131@dalcs.UUCP> kelley@dalcs.UUCP (Dan E. Kelley) writes:
>I have a simple question: How many graylevels does the NeXT screen display?

NeXT screen has 4 true grays; 2 bits/pixel. Using Postscript
halftoning, the screen is capable of displaying many more shades of
gray. Most system grays (icons, window borders/buttons, menus) however
are made with the pure grays for a sharp look.

Each pixel can also have 2 bits/pixel of alpha for transparency.
In some cases, the transparency is stored implicity (eg, the whole
window is opaque, or alpha = data for the whole window) to save memory.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

langford@reed.UUCP (Chris Langford) (01/12/89)

In article <5260@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
> A question: I've been playing with the NeXT in our soundlab, and have a
>couple questions-
>
>1) How do you get out of the slide show? sysrelease 0.8, by the way.

If you hold down the left mouse-button long enough, you can get out.

>2) Where is the poker program? I hit it once by accident, and couldn't
>find it again.

It should be in /<diskname>/Programming/Demos
unless someone moved it.

Hope this helps...

--
Chris Langford  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!langford