[comp.sys.next] Interface Builder strategies?

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/12/89)

Does anybody out there have a good strategy for using Interface Builder to
MODIFY as well as build user interfaces?

I've been "decompiling" my applications, then editing the produced source
code.  That's fine, but if I want to add new instance variables or methods
relating to the user interface, I have to do so by hand, since re-decompiling
wipes out any changes made to IB-generated source.

Does anybody have a satisfactory way to 1) CONVENIENTLY partition code between
IB-built code and user-written code or 2) cleverly use diff and ed to merge
old and new versions of IB-generated files?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve
Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (01/13/89)

In article <391@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> Steve Dorner writes:
>I've been "decompiling" my applications, then editing the produced source
>code.  That's fine, but if I want to add new instance variables or methods
>relating to the user interface, I have to do so by hand, since re-decompiling
>wipes out any changes made to IB-generated source.

This in general is not a good idea; you should really decompile your
user interface only (1) for instructive purposes or (2) if you have a final
enough version of your app and you do not wish anyone to be able to edit
the user interface through IB. Otherwise you should just generate an
archive file (.nib) which you can modify without having to recompile
your program.

Of course, IB generates some skeleton code for you even when you
use the .nib file. The skeleton code is for your convenience, and allows
you to get started. If you add more methods/variables to your objects,
you just add them in by hand, without having to regenerate the skeleton
source.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com