[comp.sys.next] 3D display and eye separation distance

terry@moogvax.UUCP (Terry Westley) (01/17/89)

In article <3670@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:

>One known problem with 3-D displays that is noticed only by non-average
>people is that the images are created/recorded assuming a particular eye-
>spacing.  While my friends with average eye-spacing are impressed by 3-D
>movies, I see them out of focus because my eyes are set slightly farther
>apart than the norm (but not unattactively ;-),

I know an engineer from Pittsburgh, PA, working currently in Rochester, NY, who
claims she doesn't like Rochester because everyone's eyes are too far apart.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the behelden :-)

--
  Terry Westley
  Moog, Inc. (no, not the synthesizer company)

In article <759@moogvax.UUCP> terry@moogvax.UUCP (Terry Westley) writes:
>In article <3670@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:
>>
>>One known problem with 3-D displays that is noticed only by non-average
>>people is that the images are created/recorded assuming a particular eye-
>>spacing.  While my friends with average eye-spacing are impressed by 3-D
>>movies, I see them out of focus because my eyes are set slightly farther
>>apart than the norm (but not unattactively ;-),

	Wider eyes should not cause focus problems, only a slight difference
in apparent distance.  Try looking at the 3-D topographical picture taken by
planes: they take them many feet apart to emphasize the the features
(equivalent of a wider set of eyes.)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup