[comp.sys.next] How do I print Postscript?

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (01/27/89)

If I have a file full of Postscript (generated by my PC word processor, for
example) how do I print it?  Examination of manual entries for transcript,
enscript, lpr, and anything else I can think of hasn't turned it up, unless
I'm even more nearsighted than I thought I was.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (01/28/89)

In article <3236@ima.ima.isc.com> johnl@ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) writes:
>If I have a file full of Postscript (generated by my PC word processor, for
>example) how do I print it?  Examination of manual entries for transcript,
>enscript, lpr, and anything else I can think of hasn't turned it up, unless
>I'm even more nearsighted than I thought I was.

If the first line of your Postscript file begins with "%!", then you can
just use lpr to send it to the NeXT printer - e. g., "lpr -Pnp <file>".
I've printed a wide variety of Postscript on my "np" from PC CAD packages,
pic, etc. and they look fine.  The only problem I've had so far is printing
Writenow Postscript on a remote Apple Laserwriter, because the Writenow
Postscript uses a macro that is commented out in the preamble.  A simple
sed filter fixed that.