[comp.sys.next] What's this machine all about?

cmc3@nvuxr.UUCP (C Chase) (01/27/89)

I know very little about the NeXT machine.  In fact what I know can be
summed up as follows:

	1) fancy hardware:
		68030 processor
		optical disk
		special purpose chips (e.g. A/D, graphic hardware)

	2) great sound

	3) nice monitor

sounds fine, but what is it really?  I seem to have read somewhere that
this box runs an OS resembling Unix.  Something about handling all the
standard OS calls of Unix, but not being derived from the original AT&T
code.  If this is true, it sounds great, but is it really Unix?  Am I
going to be able to take any standard unix code and make it go?  (yeah,
I know "what do you mean by 'standard unix code'").

Which brings me to my real question, what kind of user interface does
this box have?  I expect there's some fancy window manager.  Well, what
kind of window manager is it?  And what if I wanted to run the X Window
System?

Well, I think I've properly displayed my ignorance.

When this newsgroup became available at my site, I was hoping that
I might learn something about the NeXT machine and related software by
reading the group.  But so far about 90% of the traffic seems to be
related to "what is a menu".  I guess a lot of people are really
concerned about this topic.  If they'd really like to know, I can show
them one.  I use menus all the time.  They're really not that
complicated.

I don't mean to insult other persons who feel they have something to
contribute to this newsgroup.  They have as much right to post their
views as I do to post my own.  But I really do think people should try
to excercise a little restraint when choosing which newsgroups to post.
If the article is unrelated to the NeXT machine should it really be
posted to this group?

Enough said.

I am serious about wanting to know the relationship (or possibility
of a relationship) between the NeXT machine and X11.  And I
really am curious about what this machine is capable of doing.

Craig Chase

cmc3@nvuxr.bellcore.com

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (01/29/89)

In article <958@nvuxr.UUCP> cmc3@nvuxr.UUCP (C Chase) writes:

>I know very little about the NeXT machine.  In fact what I know can be
>summed up as follows:
>
>	1) fancy hardware:
>		68030 processor
>		optical disk
>		special purpose chips (e.g. A/D, graphic hardware)
>
>	2) great sound
>
>	3) nice monitor

You're forgetting

	4) a user interface that people are RAVING over

	5) a fantastic deal on bundled software

	6) big archival storage built in

>sounds fine, but what is it really?  I seem to have read somewhere that
>this box runs an OS resembling Unix.  Something about handling all the
>standard OS calls of Unix, but not being derived from the original AT&T
>code.  If this is true, it sounds great, but is it really Unix?  Am I
>going to be able to take any standard unix code and make it go?  (yeah,
>I know "what do you mean by 'standard unix code'").

It runs a version of Mach.  Mach is a research project being run out
of Carnegie Mellon aimed towards having a Unix-y OS which can take
better advantage of parallel environments.  Right now it has a 4.3BSD
emulation mode built in that is good enough that the Vax version of Mach
can take 4.3BSD binaries directly off a 4.3 machine and run them on
the Mach machine.  If you want SysV compatibility you'll have to write
and/or find a SysV emulator.

--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET