[comp.sys.next] Who owns my tty?

gil%daffy@gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) (01/31/89)

When I log into my NeXT (on console), all terminal windows I call up
(via Terminal) are owned by root.tty with mode 666.  Because they are
owned by root and me, things like "biff" and "mesg" don't work.  If
I remotely log in from another machine, terminals are owned by gil.tty
with mode 620, which is as things should be.  Is there any explanation/fix
for this?

One other thing, about when I log in remotely.  When I type ^D, I get a
listing of the current directory (as if I had typed "ls<CR>").  This
happens regardless of whether or not I have ignoreeof set in that shell.
What kind of feature is this?

					- Gil Neiger

In article <17852@gatech.edu> gil%daffy@gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:
>One other thing, about when I log in remotely.  When I type ^D, I get a
>listing of the current directory (as if I had typed "ls<CR>").  This
>happens regardless of whether or not I have ignoreeof set in that shell.
>What kind of feature is this?

It's been pointed out to me that this is part of the C-shell's file
name completion feature.  When I rlogin to my NeXT, the shell I get
always acts as if the shell variable "filec" is set, whether or not
it is.  In addition, it will interpret ^D as a request for file name
completion even at the beginning of a line.  In shells I get directly
through executing "Terminal", file name completion is accomplished only
if "filec" is set, and never at the beginning of a line.

					- Gil Neiger

kean@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kean Stump) (02/01/89)

In article <17852@gatech.edu> gil%daffy@gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:

>One other thing, about when I log in remotely.  When I type ^D, I get a
>listing of the current directory (as if I had typed "ls<CR>").  This
>happens regardless of whether or not I have ignoreeof set in that shell.
>What kind of feature is this?
>
>					- Gil Neiger

This is a feature 8-) of the filename completion in 4.3BSD and similar OS's.
A ^D lists the current directory, a net^D lists all files in the current
directory that start with net, and so on.  The csh(1) man page covers this
in good detail (on my 4.3 machine; don't have my cube yet, so I can't say..).

kean

Oregon State University                          Kean Stump
Department of Computer Science                   kean@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, Oregon                               {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!kean
"OSU CS isn't my employer, so don't take me seriously"