[comp.sys.next] NeXT or a used SUN?

perrone@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Perrone Ford) (02/08/89)

 Hello,
	I am battling making a decision between buying a used SUN workstation
and buying a NExT.  I am using a 3/60 at the moment running 4.2 bsd but am
interested in the new arrival.  The major factor that could sway my decision is
in the optical disk system on the NExT.  I understand that the disk can come
in as variety of sizes ( capacities ) but what I want to know is how much
does it cost to swap in new disks.  If I buy the 300M for example and fill
it up...how much will it cost me to stick in another 300M?  Also, is the OD
similar to a cd...or does it come encased in some type of plastic shell?

Just for the record, this will be a single user machine with internet
capability.

Perrone Ford

P.S.  Can I boot of the Optical, and can I back it up with a 1/4" tape?

jasmerb@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (02/08/89)

In article <549@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> perrone@loligo.UUCP (Perrone Ford) writes:

> Hello,
>	I am battling making a decision between buying a used SUN workstation
>and buying a NExT.  The major factor that could sway my decision is
>in the optical disk system on the NExT.  I understand that the disk can come
>in as variety of sizes ( capacities )

The optical disks on the NeXT machine only give you one choice. A Cannon
256 megabyte optical disk.

>but what I want to know is how much does it cost to swap in new disks.
>If I buy the 300M for example and fill it up...how much will it cost me
>to stick in another 300M?

The optical disk cartridges cost approximately $50.

>Also, is the OD similar to a cd...or does it come encased in some type
>of plastic shell?

It is *similar* to a audio compact disc but in no way the same. The
optical disc comes encased in a hard plastic shell (very heavy duty)
and is about 25% larger than a CD case.

>P.S.  Can I boot of the Optical, and can I back it up with a 1/4" tape?

If you get it up on the network, backing it up is pretty trivial. I did
a baseline of my optical (which happens to be the boot disk) onto an
exabyte with no problems.

Bryce Jasmer             |
c/o Support Staff        | Internet email: jasmerb@cs.orst.edu
Computer Science Dept.   |
Oregon State University  | NeXT voice mail: jasmerb@hobbes.cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, OR  97331     |    (I finally received my machine!!  :-)