[comp.sys.next] Does 0.8 uucp work?

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (02/10/89)

The manual says that uucp isn't supported, but the files all seem to be there.
Has anyone tried firing it up and seen whether it works?
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

c9c-aa@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Brad Post) (02/11/89)

In article <3305@ima.ima.isc.com> johnl@ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) writes:
>The manual says that uucp isn't supported, but the files all seem to be there.
>Has anyone tried firing it up and seen whether it works?
>--
>John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
>{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something
>You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Whatever you do, don't try it.  I did, and it was most unpleasant.  For some reason or other, it trys to invoke uucp, but can't and freezes up the machine.
This freeze is only reverseable by a system shutdown.

Brad

PS:  It might not be this way on every machine, but I still wouldn't want to
   find out.

kean@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kean Stump) (02/11/89)

In article <3305@ima.ima.isc.com> johnl@ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) writes:
>The manual says that uucp isn't supported, but the files all seem to be there.
>Has anyone tried firing it up and seen whether it works?
>--
>John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
>{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something
>You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

I went through the UUCP setup about a week ago; using the sendmail.cf that
NeXT supplied for subsidiary machines and adding the appropriate crontab
entry and making the appropriate D. and C. spool directories, UUCP works
'jest fine.  It's nice having a mail machine at home 8-)  Now all I need is
disk space.

1) Add your uucp connections to /bootdisk/Administration/Private/conf/L.sys
2) Use the Disk command to label your boot disk with your machine name
3) Modify L-devices to use the /dev/cua device (there are some drawbacks to
   using /dev/cub and the tty devices apparently).
4) Make the D.yourhostname and the D.yourhostnameX directories in whatever
   directory /usr/spool/uucp points to.  Mine are D.shatter and D.shatterX.
   Uux failed until I did this one 8-)
5) Make certain your modem is turned on! (Oops)

This sendmail config will deliver mail to users on your machine, to local uucp
connections, and hand everything else to a mailhost machine you define in
/etc/hosts (actually, wherever /etc/hosts points to... read only filesystems
can be a pain sometimes).  It works like a charm for me.

Any questions, send me mail and I'll help, although I am NOT a sendmail config
file god, that is certain 8-)

kean

Oregon State University                          Kean Stump
College of Oceanography                          kean@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, Oregon                       {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!kean
"Opinions Free. Inquire within" 	{tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!shatter!kean

scb@frame.uucp (S.C. Blair) (02/11/89)

I heard from our technical support person at NeXT that it works fine.
In fact I used to work with the person at Sun who's now at NeXT who
did a good part of the port. I have the UUCP working from 0.8 O/S
with several folks.
The installation was a really good cookbook install. No real surprises
if you understand UUCP and sendmail ( ;> )..

Steven C. Blair Manager Systems Administration
Frame Technology Inc. 2911 Zanker Road San Jose, Ca. 95134
INTERNET: scb@frame.com frame!scb@vicom.com
UUCP: {most backbones(ames, sun,)}vsi1!frame!nevdull!scb