[comp.sys.next] remove optical after booting?

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) (02/09/89)

Is it possible to remove the optical disk after booting from it, assuming
that there's no magnetic disk at all? If so, how does NeXT manage the swap
space?
--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
	  Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		UUCP:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb

leach@neptune.uucp (Tom Leach) (02/11/89)

In article <434@gregb.UUCP> gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) writes:
>Is it possible to remove the optical disk after booting from it, assuming
>that there's no magnetic disk at all? If so, how does NeXT manage the swap
>space?

You can do it if you have another bootable optical handy.  I've had to
do this to repair a damaged root partition on an optical.

1) boot with the good optical to single user mode (bod -s)
2) /etc/disk -e /dev/rod0a
3) stick in the blown disk quickly (you have about 30 secs before it will page)
4) run /etc/fsck on the blown disk and fix it.

This is assuming that you have very generic boot disks and the swap file
is at the same place.  You can't do this to a non-bootable disk.
(hopefully you don't have to do this at all :-)

Tom Leach

Internet:leach@OCE.ORST.EDU   UUCP:{tektronix, hp-pcd}!orstcs!OCE.ORST.EDU!leach
Middle-of-the-road, man, it stanks.  Let's run over Lionel Richie with a tank.

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (02/12/89)

In article <434@gregb.UUCP> gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) writes:
>Is it possible to remove the optical disk after booting from it, assuming
>that there's no magnetic disk at all? If so, how does NeXT manage the swap
>space?

No, it isn't.  You can of course eject the disk without unmounting it,
intentionally or unintentionally, but this is pretty much evil and
in most cases will crash the system.

Don't eject your boot disk.

Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com
NeXT Developer Support