[comp.sys.next] Application launch time

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (01/30/89)

A similar question is why does it take so long for the NeXT to boot?  I
timed it... it takes exactly 5 minutes and 10 seconds and I doubt much
of that was fsck time although I could be wrong...

One reason it takes so long to boot might be that the object oriented
window stuff takes that long to be created, thus it isn't kernel boot
time at all but rather the amount of time taken to build the window
interface.

Thus the time it takes to launch applications might be due to the time
it takes to build objects and set up the window interface for that
particular application.

Just a guess......

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

"The only thing more useless than a Faberge' egg is a coffee table
picture book about Faberge' eggs"

carter@sloth.gatech.edu (Carter Bullard) (01/31/89)

In article <7554@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>A similar question is why does it take so long for the NeXT to boot?  I
>timed it... it takes exactly 5 minutes and 10 seconds and I doubt much
>of that was fsck time although I could be wrong...

Unfortunately, it is mostly fsck.  If you press the command key and the
back quote key at the same time, you'll get a mach window asking if you
really want to reboot. type y and, if it gives you a NeXT> prompt, type
bsd (for boot off of the sd drive).  you'll see whats going on
when you boot.

Carter Bullard
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
uucp:	...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!carter
Internet:	carter@gatech.edu

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (01/31/89)

In article <7554@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>A similar question is why does it take so long for the NeXT to boot?  I
>timed it... it takes exactly 5 minutes and 10 seconds and I doubt much
>of that was fsck time although I could be wrong...

It's mostly fsck time.  If you get into the ROM monitor, you can give the "p"
command and turn on verbose booting, so it says the same stuff while booting
that any other Unix system does.  (The spinning disk is cute, but not very
informative.)  It seems usually to assume that the disk might be dirty, and
so does a full fsck.  If I shut down with /etc/halt, it usually but not
invariably will skip the long fsck and boots a lot faster.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

chari@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Chris Whatley) (01/31/89)

In article <7554@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>One reason it takes so long to boot might be that the object oriented
>window stuff takes that long to be created, thus it isn't kernel boot
>time at all but rather the amount of time taken to build the window
>interface.

>Thus the time it takes to launch applications might be due to the time
>it takes to build objects and set up the window interface for that
>particular application.

I'm pretty sure that you are incorrect here. If you do a verbose boot,
you will see thatecking the disks takes an enormous chunk of that 5
minutes. Also, in the release notes, it says to logout and log-in as
'exit' every once in awhile. This, I beleive, relaunches the Window server
as a kludge for garbage collection

Chris

INET: chari@killer.DALLAS.TX.US   |  BIX: chari
UUCP: {anywhere}!killer!chari     |  --
CI$: 71370,1654                   |  Phone: 512/453-4238

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/03/89)

Why isn't it possible to do the fsck in the background?  Couldn't just
some *core* set of files (swap files, critical demon programs) be
checked, then the rest of the filesystem check could go on in the
background, after boot-up?  If a problem was found, some sort of panic
or system interruption could happen.

Don

dave@whoops.celerity (Dave Smith) (02/13/89)

In article <116900004@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Why isn't it possible to do the fsck in the background?  Couldn't just
>some *core* set of files (swap files, critical demon programs) be
>checked, then the rest of the filesystem check could go on in the
>background, after boot-up?  If a problem was found, some sort of panic
>or system interruption could happen.

Unix (and, by extension, Mach, I suppose) believes that a file system
is consistent whenever it is mounted.  If it should find something wrong
with a filesystem it will panic and crash.  It's very difficult to fix
a file system while it is mounted since a user-level program such as fsck
will not have access to the internal buffers of the kernel and won't be able
to tell if the filesysytem is inconsistent or if the kernel just hasn't
written everything out to disk yet.  This is a very good reason for not
running fsck on a mounted filesystem since it can make a very nasty mess
in its attempts to set things right.

One possibility for you to try is to fsck your main filesystems, then
have a background process that fsck's, then mounts each of your other
filesystems.  This is doable, but could be almost as annoying as waiting
for fsck to finish on everything if the files you use often are spread across
several disks.

David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego
ucsd!celerity!dave
"Repent, Harlequin!," said the TickTock Man