[comp.sys.next] Jobs on source code

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (02/14/89)

Steve Jobs was (again) barraged with comments about the source code
issue at last week's NeXT developer's camp.  As one of the more vocal
barragers, I'll try to summarize what he said.  I will refrain from
any editorial comment, other than noting that he seemed to be speaking
off the cuff and/or thinking out loud as opposed to stating a policy.
I am writing from memory, so there is a non-zero possibility that my
own prejudiced interpretation of what Jobs said may show through:

. NeXT plans to announce a source code policy soon, perhaps this week.

. NeXT does not plan to distribute all source code, but rather some
  subset that seems to encompass what everybody cares about.

. Source code distribution will be limited to small organizations within
  universities that have a demonstrated need for their "research".

. There will be no charge for source code.  Jobs made some comment to the
  effect that if university groups need certain source for their research
  NeXT will give it to them.

. NeXT will *not* distribute source code to a university or company as a
  whole, but rather to the small group inside it that "needs" it.

. That small group may *not* distribute that source OR BINARIES GENERATED
  FROM THAT SOURCE (I initially assumed this was a slip, but Jobs confirmed
  this is what he means) to any other NeXT systems on campus.  The only
  exceptions will be made on a case-by-case, program-by-program basis by
  NeXT.  The stated purpose was to abate a problem in which some individual
  or group changes program X on all NeXT's on campus which breaks vendor
  program Y causing a different individual or group on campus to complain
  to vendor Y bogusly.

I hope I have repeated what Jobs said fairly.

gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit Huizenga) (02/14/89)

In article <881@blake.acs.washington.edu> mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) writes:

>. NeXT plans to announce a source code policy soon, perhaps this week.

I don't believe that Steve Jobs actually committed to announcing the
policy soon.  It has been one of the major topics of internal discussion
of late, and it isn't clear that a resolution was imminent, although
one should be forthcoming.

NeXT's biggest concern is that of their developers.  The developers
don't want to worry about non-conforming systems which have been
literally hacked at by someone going through root puberty.  I believe
that from talking to Steve Jobs at the camp, the guidelines that Mark
has mentioned will be the general rule, but some deviation will be
possible.  Also, this Steve suggested that this was the direction he
felt the internal source discussions were taking.  It may change
before the policy becomes "official".

>. NeXT does not plan to distribute all source code, but rather some
>  subset that seems to encompass what everybody cares about.

Clarification:  there is some source that NeXT does not have the rights
to redistribute.  I believe one of these is the source to the Objective
C compiler.  However, I think they are open to releasing source to any
subset which they own if there is a real need.  Jobs feels that source
should be "free" - which probably means available for the cost of
distributing it.  Sources will probably be released in small packages,
such as the source to a single objective C class if really needed, rather
than the source to all of the NeXT developed classes.  There was some
small talk about the source to Mach being more accessible, particularly
in the Mach source which includes such things as NeXT device drivers
I would guess.

>. Source code distribution will be limited to small organizations within
>  universities that have a demonstrated need for their "research".

However, campus support centers may be able to get portions of the source
code to implement local required modifications (such as security
enhancements) that can be installed on all local machines.  Again, the
largest concern here is that standard products will still be able to
run without modification or special considerations.

Keep in mind that the policy is not cast in stone and this is
essentially a foreshadowing of what might come to pass.  I think
that *rational* arguments (and there have been several here) are
going to have more effect that some of the ranting and raving.
NeXT is aware of the sore spot from both the University side and
from the developers side.  I think with well reasoned comments
and requests, the policy can be refined to make it acceptable to
both developers and University people.

Gerrit Huizenga, Purdue University Computing Center