[comp.sys.next] source code

matt@nanovx.UUCP (Matt Brandt) (02/11/89)

I can think of one really good reason NOT to distribute the source code
that has nothing to do with NeXT being stingy. Right now, if you write a
program for UNIX you have to take into account the fact that it might have
berkely extensions. or sun extensions... or somebodies real time extensions.
and it might run News. or it might run X11. or it might not. You can't
really PLAN on anything. This makes your UNIX code about as far from
portable as possible on a "portable" operating system.

Maybe NeXT just wants to make sure the environment doesn't change every
time you sneeze...

ram@shukra.Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (02/12/89)

bet@dukeac.UUCP (Bennett Todd) (02/14/89)

>Maybe NeXT just wants to make sure the environment doesn't change every
>time you sneeze...

'Twon't change at all; won't even be acquired. I spoke with a gentleman at
NeXT about the source code issue; he kindly explained that the source code was
being forbidden at the behest of big software houses, who want to have an
absolutely stagnant unchanging target to code to. That, he claimed, is why you
could buy so much user-friendly software for Macintosh and PCs and so little
for Suns. I thanked him for the explanation. It makes things much clearer; I
loathe Macintoshes and am not wild about PCs; NeXT is welcome to compete in
that market and I don't need any, thanks. I do wish someone would compete with
Sun, though; they have a monopoly, effectively, and they know it. Going the
way of DEC....

-Bennett
bet@orion.mc.duke.edu

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/14/89)

In article <1234@dukeac.UUCP> bet@dukeac.UUCP (Bennett Todd) writes:
>NeXT about the source code issue; he kindly explained that the source code was
>being forbidden at the behest of big software houses, who want to have an
>absolutely stagnant unchanging target to code to. That, he claimed, is why you
>could buy so much user-friendly software for Macintosh ...

Snicker.  UNIX has changed a LOT less in the last five years than the
macintosh operating system.  Every system release breaks some developer's
code.  They change the ROMS.  They add HFS.  They add color.  They add
multiprocessing.  All these things radically change the environment; Apple
sometimes patches to work around specific applications, but eventually
things have to be rewritten.  The macintosh, no source included, is a
developer's nightmare.

The ``gentleman at NeXT'' is feeding us a lot of digested grasses, to
use a polite term.
Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

zdenko@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Zdenko Tomasic) (02/14/89)

If the ever-changing software status is the problem, why would Next not
provide a test that will prove no changes in the software environment
relative to the standard release? That way they'll be sure that the
problem/bug is related to the genuine stuff as opposed to modified.
Of course, anybody that modified the standard programs is on their own.

Naturally, the fool-proof test suit may not be easy or cheep to provide,
but it is really a necessity. Even AT&T had to do something (SVID, SVVS, etc.)
to that effect regardless how incomplete or buggy their test suit
is/was. To do otherwise would be just hiding their head in the sand.
The changing nature of software will not go away, and sweeping the
problem under a rug would not do anybody any good. As a matter of fact
one of the secrets, in my opinion, of success of UNIX and UNIX-like systems
is the ability to change with time. Please, NeXT do not kill MACH-BSD
success for your own convenience!

As for the living proof that software system can be successful even
with constant changes just look at FSF. After all, you NeXT guys
use their software as well!
Zdenko Tomasic, UWM, Chem. Dept., P.O. Box 413, Milwaukee, WI 53201
UUCP: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!zdenko
ARPA: zdenko@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (02/15/89)

In article <445@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>>could buy so much user-friendly software for Macintosh ...
>
>Snicker.  UNIX has changed a LOT less in the last five years than the
>macintosh operating system.  Every system release breaks some developer's
>code.  They change the ROMS.  They add HFS.  They add color.  They add
>multiprocessing.  All these things radically change the environment; Apple
>sometimes patches to work around specific applications, but eventually
>things have to be rewritten.  The macintosh, no source included, is a
>developer's nightmare.
>
>The ``gentleman at NeXT'' is feeding us a lot of digested grasses, to
>use a polite term.
>Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office

Actually, I could say the same thing about you.  If you follow the rules of
how to program the Macintosh, then your application is very likely to run
when a new release of the system comes out.

You might not understand that, comming from a Unix background, but it is what
happens in the Mac world.  If applications break, you can be pretty sure they
were written taking shortcuts which were pointed out as not being stable in
the future.

(I found a demo windowing program written in 1984, which ran correctly under
MultiFinder on a Mac II with color.)

Shane Looker   |  Looker@um.cc.umich.edu | shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/16/89)

In article <925@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) writes:
>In article <445@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>>>could buy so much user-friendly software for Macintosh ...
>>
>>Snicker.  UNIX has changed a LOT less in the last five years than the
>>macintosh operating system.  Every system release breaks some developer's
>>code.  They change the ROMS.  They add HFS.  They add color.  They add
>>multiprocessing.  All these things radically change the environment; Apple
>>sometimes patches to work around specific applications, but eventually
>>things have to be rewritten.  The macintosh, no source included, is a
>>developer's nightmare.
>>
>>The ``gentleman at NeXT'' is feeding us a lot of digested grasses, to
>>use a polite term.
>>Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
>
>Actually, I could say the same thing about you.  If you follow the rules of
>how to program the Macintosh, then your application is very likely to run
>when a new release of the system comes out.
>
>You might not understand that, comming from a Unix background, but it is what
>happens in the Mac world.  If applications break, you can be pretty sure they
>were written taking shortcuts which were pointed out as not being stable in
>the future.
>
>(I found a demo windowing program written in 1984, which ran correctly under
>MultiFinder on a Mac II with color.)

Yes, in general correctly written programs will work even when Apple
upgrades its System software.  Just because Microsoft's stuff breaks
all the time is no reason to blame Apple; Inside Mac and the tech notes
are quite explicit about what is and isn't approved behavior for an
application.

Of course, no application written in 1985 is going to be able to take
advantage of 16.7 million colors on a Mac II, but if it was written
correctly it should at least run under both the Finder and Multifinder,
it should be able to work on any size monitor (or on multiple
monitors), and it should still be able to run on any current Apple
Macintosh.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/27/89)

Maybe Next could borrow a page from aircraft licencing:
Provide source code to those that need it, on the condition that any
machine that is not running stock Next-supplied software have a sign
saying "Experimental" on it, in a place easily visible to users.

Users of Experimental machines have thus been warned that Next isn't
providing support, and if something doesn't work they should call whoever
is supporting that machine.

scarter@caip.rutgers.edu (Stephen M. Carter) (03/02/89)

I was once under the impression that access to source code is purely
company policy.  Then I started hearing that it is not so much that, but
in most cases, it is with the finacial backing structure of the company.
In some cases, the insurance company backing them is the one that
mandates no source code.  Sometimes, in special cases, a company can
make a source holder a consultant (ie pay them some token amount per
year) which will allow the company to give out source.  By in large, a
company can't do this with everybody wanting source.

Any legal experts care to get into this?

scarter@caip.rutgers.edu